Lets Talk Metal
Nov 21, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #16,969 of 29,662
 I went through a symphonic power metalish thing a few years before I really embraced DM and BM and bought a bunch of Nightwish, Tristania albums. For the genre, if you aren't sick of the beauty and beast thing, the new Epica is pretty fun. Yes-totally over the top, kind of popish in places and cinematic-bombastic. Simone has a great voice. They record with full on choir and orchestra.

Just for some ear candy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIFLxJtPekA&list=PLGC_zhmBV1bcUlMYR8uUY2fK25oZWUMi1

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #16,970 of 29,662
 I went through a symphonic power metalish thing a few years before I really embraced DM and BM and bought a bunch of Nightwish, Tristania albums. For the genre, if you aren't sick of the beauty and beast thing, the new Epica is pretty fun. Yes-totally over the top, kind of popish in places and cinematic-bombastic. Simone has a great voice. They record with full on choir and orchestra.

Just for some ear candy....

It's funny....I've never been much into that style, but a friend lent me epica's last album and now I have the entire discography LOL. I actually prefer the pop leanings of epica to say night wish, if I'm going for that style anyways

I just picked up the new Blut Aus Nord (Memoria Vetusta III – Saturnian Poetry) and so far it's pretty amazing, a more traditional turn to BM but incredibly dense, and lush...

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #16,971 of 29,662
It's funny....I've never been much into that style, but a friend lent me epica's last album and now I have the entire discography LOL. I actually prefer the pop leanings of epica to say night wish, if I'm going for that style anyways

I just picked up the new Blut Aus Nord (Memoria Vetusta III – Saturnian Poetry) and so far it's pretty amazing, a more traditional turn to BM but incredibly dense, and lush...

Cool, cool. You and Redcar must have some of the most massive collections on this list....Trogdor, too, but I think he's strictly digital. I envision you guys have a spare bedroom or maybe a garage with nothing but CDs, records and band paraphernalia  from the floor to the ceiling stretching in all directions. Ha-ha!

I go back to this style from time to time. Is it cheesy? Of course
darthsmile.gif
 ! That's part of the fun for me. Well, at least most of these bands have front women who are pretty easy on the eyes-thinking Within Temptation, also. The last two symphonic albums I really thought were amazing were Therion's double album Lemuria/Sirius B way back around 2004  and the more experimental leanings of Virgin Black's Mezzo Forte with companion doom death album-Requieum Fortissimo a couple of years later.

Lord knows,  a lot of symphonic metal is pretty horrendous. And, I pretty much consign my appreciation for power metal to a few classic Blind Guardian, Gammarary, Helloween, and Iced Earth albums. I  think that style is pretty much six feet under.

but after 2 listens, I think Epica on this album get a lot of things right. It is pretty much power metal set to strings. But, I like big epic soundtracks-LORT, Braveheart, Gladiator-and I think they get that big epic symphonic thing with just enough crunchy metal and a singer who can really deliver in a big way. Get the popcorn out baby!

The new Blut Aus Nord is definitely on my shortlist. Glad you like it. Luv me some BAN.

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #16,972 of 29,662
If you guys enjoyed the new Abigor, these guys are a blast. Totally unexpected, found through autothrall's wonderful reviews. Fantastic guitar playing with angular riffs and malevolent harmonies. Very technical, but still very black metal, like the new Abigor. 78 minutes, but it NEVER gets old, songs are constantly shifting and changing and growing.

https://wtcproductions.bandcamp.com/album/liber-lvcifer-i-khem-sedjet

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #16,973 of 29,662

Cool, cool. You and Redcar must have some of the most massive collections on this list....Trogdor, too, but I think he's strictly digital. I envision you guys have a spare bedroom or maybe a garage with nothing but CDs, records and band paraphernalia  from the floor to the ceiling stretching in all directions. Ha-ha!

I didn't have a CD player for the longest time. Just tapes and records. Finally in 96 I started buying CDs. No one knew how long they would last. Some speculated the CDs would go bad in 10 years. I have 3000 CDs and only one DVD has ever gone bad on me. I never sell CDs as you never know when you will like a CD again.

The biggest thing I learned is that remasters are not always better than the original.

Music is a big part of my life, and they are always coming up with new ways to listen to the files. My ears tell me vinyl is more natural but so much music in metal is only on CD.

Still CD is really easy to use. I now rip them into wave files and play them on a portable player. They sound great. Players are only going to get better and memory cards are only going to get bigger and lower in price.

Part of enjoying CDs is to train your ears to listen for the quality that was talked about when they first came out, like the treble detail. You can  talk yourself into liking any format. Just build synergy into the playback device to overcome any drawbacks in sound.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #16,974 of 29,662

I have 3000 CDs and only one DVD has ever gone bad on me.

Wow. I don't have the patience to count, but I've got everything saved on a NAS that I use with Sonos. That's pretty much every CD I own. 12,600 +-tracks total. I wanted to be able to put everything I own w/ one device to access digitally. Before I got into this, I was growing tired of having to take music off my Ipod to accommodate new music. I just wanted to access my entire music library and not pick and choose. With Sonos, I can store up to 60,000 track which gives me a fair amount of growing room.

If you figure, there'll be few EPs with fewer tracks per alum, a couple of classical symphonies, long jazz recordings, old recordings w/ fewer tracks and some albums with long songs (single song albums like Dopesmoker),  somewhere between 10-14 tracks on average per CD-just a guess and some of the CD's are double discs, etc. I've got maybe a third of what you've got and I think I have a decent number of recordings.

Of course, nowadays with streaming and digital downloads, I'm sure there are people on this list that own zero CDs. I don't think my 14 year old daughter would even consider buying a CD-just listen to Rhapsody or Spotify. But, she's a kid, not an audiophile, doesn't listen to metal and thinks my tweaking of sound is kind of crazy. She gives me that look that suggests she thinks I'm just a little out of my mind as I play with cables and equipment.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #16,975 of 29,662
Metal started with a mixture of Blues and Jazz and Rock and Roll. Most folks would say that Black Sabbath’s Master Of Reality was the first Metal release. Released July of 1971. Metal was known as Hard Rock and did not have it’s true name. The use of the term Heavy Metal started around 1980-1981.
Venom is formed in 1979. Venoms album Black Metal is released in 1982 and starts to influence the Thrash scene in the USA.
Hollywood Hair Metal was the next big change. Motley Crue is formed in 1981.
At this same time Venom started to influence of the underground scene in Europe and Bathory formed in 1983 and started to influence the Nordic scene.
Celtic Frost became a band in 1984, and would be a crucial influence to Black Metal and Death Metal.
Morbid Angel released Alters Of Madness 1989 and Deicide releases Deicide in 1990.
The Nordic scene takes the name Black Metal from Venoms’ 1982 album.
Thomas Forsberg Aka (Quorthon) invents the shrieked vocals in the release of the album
Bathory 1984. The single recording of the band Bathory influence the European Metal Underground.
In the USA the Thrash movement which started in the early eighties now becomes a major phenomena. The Trash movement being the direct evolution of NWOBHM, Speed Metal and Punk Rock.
Bathory releases three more highly influential recordings which inspire the creation of both the second wave of Black Metal and today’s Viking Metal.
The Return of Darkness and Evil 1985
Under the Sign of the Black Mark 1987
Blood Fire Death 1988
Both Viking Metal and Black Metal are created at this time.
The album Burzum is released March 1992.
The second wave of Black Metal starts 1990 to 1994.
In 1995 The Gothenburg Style is to emerge after direct influence of  The Somberlain by Dissection released in 1993.IMO

The Gothenburg style is to influence the Metal Core bands of the 2000s.
Morbid Angel are to reinvent Death Metal into Technical Death Metal in 1993.
Korn in formed in 1993.
Starting in 1993 all forms of metal including the second wave of Black Metal, Technical Death Metal and Nu Metal and Thrash all simultaneously exist and slowly evolve to the place they are today.
It is purely a matter of opinion if Black Metal, Technical Death Metal and Nu Metal and Thrash Metal have ended. Today we also find intermixtures of Hardcore, Metal Core and Death Core, as new scenes emerge from the purposed ending of  Hardcore, Punk, Death Metal, Black Metal and Nu metal. We also find a slow evolution of Gothic Metal, Emotional Metal and Folk Metal as metal continues to evolve

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #16,976 of 29,662
 Wow. I don't have the patience to count, but I've got everything saved on a NAS that I use with Sonos. That's pretty much every CD I own. 12,600 +-tracks total. I wanted to be able to put everything I own w/ one device to access digitally. Before I got into this, I was growing tired of having to take music off my Ipod to accommodate new music. I just wanted to access my entire music library and not pick and choose. With Sonos, I can store up to 60,000 track which gives me a fair amount of growing room.

If you figure, there'll be few EPs with fewer tracks per alum, a couple of classical symphonies, long jazz recordings, old recordings w/ fewer tracks and some albums with long songs (single song albums like Dopesmoker),  somewhere between 10-14 tracks on average per CD-just a guess and some of the CD's are double discs, etc. I've got maybe a third of what you've got and I think I have a decent number of recordings.

i'm just not into streaming at all....it's ironic as i try to get rid of my hard copies i know, but i'm an album format guy and i really like collecting based on history/timeline and getting discographies

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #16,977 of 29,662

i have roughly 3,500 albums in the metal genre (somewhere around 15-20% of my total collection).  

I am humbled completely.

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #16,978 of 29,662
  Metal started with a mixture of Blues and Jazz and Rock and Roll. Most folks would say that Black Sabbath’s Master Of Reality was the first Metal release. Released July of 1971. Metal was known as Hard Rock and did not have it’s true name. The use of the term Heavy Metal started around 1980-1981.

thou are a master in all things metal, sensei...

However, this detail is surely amiss.  For alas, there came to pass a little-known and obscureth band titleth "The Heavy Metal Kids" in the land of the Britons in the year of our lord, 1972

Verily, for ancient I be, to have been head-banging at such and yon a time. Who forged said coin, I know not.  Yet verily, since the Wolf of the Steps, who truly wild borne were, uttereth the phrase "heavy metal thunder' in the year of our dischord, 1968, it hath come to pass that a music would emerge to claim the name. Some would forsooth claim Blue Cheer and the Fudge that is Vanillia, along with a Butterfly made of Iron, gave rise to said name, of our metal that is heavy.  Steeped in mystery, to confuse and amuse, to be Dazed so, in 1969.

Amen...

edit: sensei, I have dishonored our memory.  Uriah Heep, "Very 'eavy, Very 'umble", 1970. I am ashamed...

Forgive me, sensei, for disagreeing.

Hai!

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #16,979 of 29,662

Still I think it is just a general observation by many in Black Sabbaths favor do to the lyrics in general. If you can show me Uriah Heep song lyrics which come close. The cover of the original Brit release is totally heavy metal.

I can actually remember hearing the Born To Be Wild song in 1968.

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #16,980 of 29,662

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft_Destroys_Minds_%26_Reaps_Souls

Quote:

Still I think it is just a general observation by many in Black Sabbaths favor do to the lyrics in general. If you can show me Uriah Heep song lyrics which come close. The cover of the original Brit release is totally heavy metal.

I can actually remember hearing the Born To Be Wild song in 1968.

I think it came from many areas but Black Sabbath wrote the song Black Sabbath in 1968 but it did not go to record till 1970.

I agree it was a big movement with so many artists like Atomic Rooster and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

Heck in many ways the guitar sound started July 1st 1961 when Dick Dale started at the Rendezvous Ballroom.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dick_Dale_-_Misirlou.ogg

This was 1971...........................

Albums
  1. Alice Cooper – Love It to Death
  2. Alice Cooper – Killer
  3. Black Sabbath – Master of Reality US #8 UK #5
  4. Bloodrock – Bloodrock 2
  5. Blue Cheer – Oh! Pleasant Hope
  6. Budgie – Budgie
  7. Deep Purple – Fireball UK #1
  8. Dust – Dust
  9. James Gang – Thirds
  10. Led Zeppelin – Untitled fourth album US #2 UK #1
  11. Mountain – Nantucket Sleighride