Lets Talk Metal
Nov 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #16,951 of 29,654
  Some really good Atmospheric Black Metal!

http://avantgardemusic.bandcamp.com/album/earth-i

Oh and needless to say, the new Fen album is brilliant.

+1, and thanks for that one.  Definitely in the mood for this on a November evening!

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #16,953 of 29,654
So many songs I had never heard of in this thread!

Welcome!

Here's what I listened to on the way home for work.  I just couldn't stomach another Foo-Fighters song, and this was the best departure I had on my cell phone.  Nothing like some Windhand on a stormy November!

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #16,954 of 29,654
Streaming a bunch of 2014 schiit today:

Bloodbath-Morbid Funeral-hell yeah
very_evil_smiley.gif

Trap Them-BlisfuXXer-metallic hardcore-one listen-dig it-but I like that kind of Entombed worship

Agalloch-late to the party-reserving judgment-I think I'm in...maybe a little dull in places, but I'm a fan

Behemoth-Satanist-very late to the,,,uh....Sabbath...I'm going to like this one...I think it's pretty great so far-like that raining down hell on earth thing they do

Next up-Insomnium's new one. I'm going to guess the DR sucks which is too bad.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #16,955 of 29,654
Agalloch is not for the BM purists, they are super atmospheric and incorporated post-rock before it was trendy

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #16,956 of 29,654
  Agalloch is not for the BM purists, they are super atmospheric and incorporated post-rock before it was trendy

I'm a long time Agalloch fan actually-well since Ashes Against the  Grain-they're one of my favorite bands. Late to the party meaning I didn't snatch the current album when it came out. Do you like it? I find it a little subdued. But, they're stuff usually takes repeated listens for me to soak in.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #16,957 of 29,654

Bloodbath-Morbid Funeral-hell yeah :veryevil:

Trap Them-BlisfuXXer-metallic hardcore-one listen-dig it-but I like that kind of Entombed worship

Agalloch-late to the party-reserving judgment-I think I'm in...maybe a little dull in places, but I'm a fan

Behemoth-Satanist-very late to the,,,uh....Sabbath...I'm going to like this one...I think it's pretty great so far-like that raining down hell on earth thing they do

Insominum's record...seriously...sounds like SH...you can fill in the rest It really is a darn shame.

Agalloch's early works are a lot stronger than the current one but I disagree with some of the "sky is falling" reviews I've read.

PLEASE PLEASE listen to Deadful Congregation's latest (on Bandcamp) as well as Horrendous' latest. Oh, and Morbus Chron!

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #16,958 of 29,654

Bloodbath-Morbid Funeral-hell yeah
very_evil_smiley.gif

Before the interwebs there was metal magazines.

This one had a review of the Mantel. So I purchased the CD

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #16,959 of 29,654
Insominum's record...seriously...sounds like SH...you can fill in the rest It really is a darn shame.

Agalloch's early works are a lot stronger than the current one but I disagree with some of the "sky is falling" reviews I've read.

PLEASE PLEASE listen to Deadful Congregation's latest (on Bandcamp) as well as Horrendous' latest. Oh, and Morbus Chron!

That was my thought listening at work but it was thru a god awful generic work computer w/ no DAC/HP, etc.  I have their last release and despite DR, I enjoy the song writing and melodies. My first thought, was I would like to hear this on a good sound system but it sounds pretty formulaic. I'm thinking if you've heard one Insomnium album, you've heard them all kind of thing and it is really smashed.

I will have to check out Deadful Congregation. And, you actually turned me onto Morbus Chron. Thanks! I've got that one-it is good.

BTW,I just looked at your Satanist review as I enjoy the production-the gothish/proggy touches with their usual "bring on hell" sound which hit a certain X spot for me. Something beyond analysis-like a good meal-I just find it satisfying! Perhaps not the lowfi grit some would prefer. But, I think it's a good album despite the compression which seemed to be your main point as well. I guess on balance I like a well produced extreme album in addition to the rougher around the edges albums. And, I don't find it too slick and polished for comfort.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #16,960 of 29,654

Before the interwebs there was metal magazines.

This one had a review of the Mantel. So I purchased the CD

did you like The Mantle Redcar? I'm thinking it might not be your cup of tea. In some ways the new one harkens back to that more folky sound, but I don't think it's as good as the Mantle. Not as compelling...but an enjoyable release. I think their last release Marrow of the spirit was a good mixture of their various sounds-atmospheric, some post rock-beautiful in places, but also heavier and blackened on a couple of songs.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #16,961 of 29,654
Most I feel love the first two releases, with their third release in 2006 being the third best. And it's all downhill after that I'm sorry to say.

Maybe not totally my style but I purchased it in a different time.

Reminds me of Stormblast somehow?

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #16,962 of 29,654
Most I feel love the first two releases, with their third release in 2006 being the third best. And it's all downhill after that I'm sorry to say.

Maybe not totally my style but I purchased it in a different time.

Reminds me of Stormblast somehow?

Cool-so that's probably Pale Folklore, The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain. I came in on Ashes which I guess is their most post rock album. I'm down with that assessment, but I did think their last album in 2010-Marrow of the Spirit-was good-it took me more spins to get into it. I really dig The Mantle I have to say. Folklore is good, but lacks the production values. They got something unique with Mantle that probably spawned a whole generation of followers not unlike Kyuss or sleep/Electric Wizzard in the stoner and doom fields. I can go back to the Mantle over and over.

Of course sometimes I just want some F up BM or gnarly DM!

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #16,963 of 29,654
Cool-so that's probably Pale Folklore, The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain. I came in on Ashes which I guess is their most post rock album. I'm down with that assessment, but I did think their last album in 2010-Marrow of the Spirit-was good-it took me more spins to get into it. I really dig The Mantle I have to say. Folklore is good, but lacks the production values. They got something unique with Mantle that probably spawned a whole generation of followers not unlike Kyuss or sleep/Electric Wizzard in the stoner and doom fields. I can go back to the Mantle over and over.

Of course sometimes I just want some F up BM or gnarly DM!

They are in a genre all to themselves, I have listened to the other records but only have that one CD. You're right not my style but the CD is interesting none the less. Glad you like the later stuff, sure many do.

They have a ton of EPs out too!

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #16,964 of 29,654

I will have to check out Deadful Congregation. And, you actually turned me onto Morbus Chron. Thanks! I've got that one-it is good.

it's dead congregation (not deadful, Trogdor LOL)  and it's simply amazing old-school style DM.  fantastic album (promulgation of the fall is the new one).  I'm not really in love with the new horrendous, at least not yet.  i don't like the vocals, so it throws the whole thing off a bit for me.  the music is really cool though, really varied styles.  it sounds funny but i really enjoying the new job for a cowboy, much more progressive and solid than any of their prior stuff.

i've been on an older-school run lately, picking up a lot of missing 90's stuff that i had no excuse not to own

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #16,965 of 29,654

it's dead congregation (not deadful, Trogdor LOL)  and it's simply amazing old-school style DM.  fantastic album (promulgation of the fall is the new one).  I'm not really in love with the new horrendous, at least not yet.  i don't like the vocals, so it throws the whole thing off a bit for me.  the music is really cool though, really varied styles.  it sounds funny but i really enjoying the new job for a cowboy, much more progressive and solid than any of their prior stuff.

i've been on an older-school run lately, picking up a lot of missing 90's stuff that i had no excuse not to own

I'm such a dork-I've got that one-it was on your rec Ferday. Yeah it's great. I was at work and thinking, I think I may have that, but I looked it up online to check and there actually is some band called deadful or dreadful congregation. And, of course there's Mournful Congregations. I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!

No-it is a nasty old school vibe and really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back