Lets Talk Metal
Nov 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #16,921 of 29,661

Sorry, couldn't resist..
beerchug.gif

Dig it-funny even tho I grouse sometimes at generic growling and do like good clean metal vocals, I tend to like some of the gnarlier nastier extreme metal when given the choice.

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #16,922 of 29,661

i'm an iron reagan fan...the band is municipal waste / darkest hour members, and basically it's crossover thrash punk.  there's one song on the new album (tyranny of will) that's over 2 minutes!

it's highly political stuff but with a total tongue in cheek generic kind of politics which of course is the punk mainstay.  overall the new album won't be making an end of year list for me, but it's super fun, short and to the point

haven't heard the hookers, i'll have to check that out...!

Thanks-you know I always take your suggestions to heart as one who leaves no metal stone unturned. You've turned me on to some cool stuff. Crossover thrash-I guess I like that style. The older I get the more I realize how much heavy music I like is rooted, at least in part in punk.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #16,924 of 29,661

This is a solid release. Especially, the turn towards progressive death. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #16,925 of 29,661

Thanks-you know I always take your suggestions to heart as one who leaves no metal stone unturned. You've turned me on to some cool stuff. Crossover thrash-I guess I like that style. The older I get the more I realize how much heavy music I like is rooted, at least in part in punk.

i never liked punk much, but now of course as i study the history and expand my knowledge, i realize how much influence punk has on metal (and vice versa!)

i've even started to like a lot of the new punk, there is a whole new breed of really aggressive, blackened punk that is really good

This is a solid release. Especially, the turn towards progressive death. 

agreed, i really like this album and it's so easily their best work.  i think it's a grower also, i've only listened once...

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #16,927 of 29,661

i never liked punk much, but now of course as i study the history and expand my knowledge, i realize how much influence punk has on metal (and vice versa!)

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #16,928 of 29,661
I wasn't a punk fan back in the day, in fact as a young metal and rock listener, I found the late 70's/80's punk and hardcore unlistenable. Well as we all know, punk got heavier and then began seeping into thrash, and I slowly changed my mind. As obvious as it is-I think I have to tip my hat to repeated MTV playing of the Smells Like Teen Spirit video and early Soundgarden CDs-yes, I'm that old
very_evil_smiley.gif
 to convince me that some punk influenced rock might be worth investigating.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #16,929 of 29,661
  I wasn't a punk fan back in the day, in fact as a young metal and rock listener, I found the late 70's/80's punk and hardcore unlistenable. Well as we all know, punk got heavier and then began seeping into thrash, and I slowly changed my mind. As obvious as it is-I think I have to tip my hat to repeated MTV playing of the Smells Like Teen Spirit video and early Soundgarden CDs-yes, I'm that old
very_evil_smiley.gif
 to convince me that some punk influenced rock might be worth investigating.

That said, a lot of the radio friendly post grunge 90's alt rock was pretty lame. But some of it I still like in very limited doses...thinking of the girl band L7. I do like the Foo Fighters reasonably well...go ahead-hate me if you must.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #16,930 of 29,661
Foo Fighters do Sabbath.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv5ekzTubwU

They don't mess it up.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #16,931 of 29,661
Foo Fighters do Sabbath.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv5ekzTubwU

They don't mess it up.

That was good. The world could use a few more mainstream plain old good rock bands. Kind of a dying breed.

Listening to an old favorite tonight that sounds great on headphones: Arcturus The Sham Mirrors. It is arty, but it's still metal....no one I can think of sounds like this.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #16,932 of 29,661
That was good. The world could use a few more mainstream plain old good rock bands. Kind of a dying breed.

Listening to an old favorite tonight that sounds great on headphones: Arcturus The Sham Mirrors. It is arty, but it's still metal....no one I can think of sounds like this.

The Sham Mirrors is one of my favorite albums ever!

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #16,934 of 29,661
Nov 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #16,935 of 29,661
INTRO::::

OUTRO::

]

I am not sure, if my understanding of Intro and Outro is correct :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back