Lets Talk Metal
Oct 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #16,727 of 29,660

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #16,728 of 29,660
I first listened to lunar aurora a couple months ago (paysage d'hiver split) and immediately fell in love. I picked up a couple albums, great stuff

Ferday, I just picked up Teitanblood. I believe that was one of your recommends. I often like your obscure offerings particularly in the doom, sludge and black fields.......

Coming off the groovy Boris release it was a bit of a shock to the system.

Holy crap. That's all I'm going to say.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #16,730 of 29,660
  How do you guys like the HE500s with metal?  I saw some discussion about cans going on around page 1113

HE500s vs RS1?

judging solely on graphs I would say the HE500, but others may have actually heard them so they should get first priority

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #16,731 of 29,660
  How do you guys like the HE500s with metal?  I saw some discussion about cans going on around page 1113

HE500s vs RS1?

I have HE560, which is pretty similar to 500 and there's no way around it, theyre glorious. Neutral. I think I've listened to most of the Grado models and imo with their house sound they are somewhat one-trick ponies.

RS1 are really light to wear and really airy sounding headphone. I sat down with them at a convention and there were miscellaneus tracks playing. There came a Coldplay live track which made me feel like I was in the audience. It was a good moment.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #16,732 of 29,660
RS1 is only good for metal and it's just ok. The 500 or 560 would be better suited. Then again, I'd take an Audez'e over either. But that's just preference.

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #16,733 of 29,660

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #16,734 of 29,660
  RS1 is only good for metal and it's just ok. The 500 or 560 would be better suited. Then again, I'd take an Audez'e over either. But that's just preference.

The 500 and 560 are both excellent headphones. I've heard the both and own the RS1i. They are certainly much more technically advanced.

But, I disagree that the RS1i is only good for metal. It absolutely is good for metal, but it's good for a lot of other things as well. Grado started making phones in the 1950's. The RS1 was their flagship line representing the best of their house sound for a long time. Now, they've got much higher end models. But, given the history of metal, it would be a little difficult to design a headphone for metal in the 60's or 70's. Uh, metal didn't really exist back then....at least not the way we think of it today.

If you spend time on the Grado appreciation threads, you'll see a lot of jazz, blues and classic rock fans among others.

That said, there are Grado lovers and haters. The Grado people are a kind of niche into themselves. You either like the house sound or you don't. I started out w/ the 225 and recently bought the RS1i. I'm sure I'll own something else like Hifiman or Audeze at some point. A lot of folks have Grado with other cans as they have a very particular sensibility.

The Grado sound has an immediate, intimate sound that puts you "in the front row" so to speak. They are fun to listen to. Many feel they have a bright sound. I find the RS1 brings in much more detail and nuance than the lower models and with a tube or tube hybrid amplifier (I've got the inexpensive LD1+) you can mellow the highs out and the sound is terrific for me. It doesn't have a wide soundstage. So, it wouldn't be my choice for large symphonic works. But, relative to metal-unless you're listening to beautifully produced symphonic metal-who cares!

If you don't care as much about refinement, the 80 and 225 sound really good for any aggressive music-metal, Hardcore, whatever. They are somewhat fatiguing. But, for an in your face shot of adrenaline they will rock. And, they do have good detail.

The RS1 reproduces the sound of the guitar very well. But, I also like it for any kind of acoustic music as well. I find they're more versatile than the 80-225 in that they have an extra level of refinement. I listen to mostly rock and metal. They translate well into anything that has guitar--I think they sound good for any kind of rock, folk, jazz. They're not very good for real base centric music. If EDM or hip-hop were mainstays in my listening, I would NOT want a Grado.

The 225 for $200 is good budget entry point IMO as is the 80 for about $100. So, they are economical vs the entry point sweet spot for orthos seems to be about 1K new.

If I had the $, and wanted a can to do a lot of things be very versatile, the Hifimans are a "better" HP, but if you pick up something used-I bought my initial 225 and amp and was ready to roll for just over $400-not including a DAC. Then again, Grados are super easy to amp-they sound damn good straight out of an Ipod or cell phone. That's why probably a lot of us start with them. How many people are willing to invest 2K in HPs and electronics as a first purchase!

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #16,735 of 29,660

The 500 and 560 are both excellent headphones. I've heard the both and own the RS1i. They are certainly much more technically advanced.

But, I disagree that the RS1i is only good for metal. It absolutely is good for metal, but it's good for a lot of other things as well. Grado started making phones in the 1950's. The RS1 was their flagship line representing the best of their house sound for a long time. Now, they've got much higher end models. But, given the history of metal, it would be impossible to design a headphone for metal in the 60's or 70's. If you spend time on the Grado appreciation threads, you'll see a lot of jazz, blues and classic rock fans among others.

That said, there are Grado lovers and haters. The Grado people are a kind of niche into themselves. You either like the house sound or you don't. I started out w/ the 225 and recently bought the RS1i. I'm sure I'll own something else like Hifiman or Audeze at some point. A lot of folks have Grado with other cans as they have a very particular sensibility.

The Grado sound has an immediate, intimate sound that puts you "in the front row" so to speak. They are fun to listen to. Many feel they have a bright sound. I find the RS1 brings in much more detail and nuance than the lower models and with a tube or tube hybrid amplifier (I've got the inexpensive LD1+) you can mellow the highs out and the sound is terrific for me. It doesn't have a wide soundstage. So, it wouldn't be my choice for large symphonic metal. So, relative to metal-unless you're listening to beautifully produced symphonic metal-who cares!

Of course, that was just my opinion. I feel the RS1's are good for metal because they do have that fun factor. And unless we're talking TOTL the rest of the field
have technical deficiency's comparatively. As said, my preference would be for an Audez'e over either Grado or HifiMan, but I'd also take the HD650 for 
anything else but metal - even though some find those extremely boring. 

And More importantly, again, IMO, the 500 or 560 is the better match for metal. More body and heft. And I find them more natural sounding than most Grado's.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #16,736 of 29,660
  Of course, that was just my opinion. I feel the RS1's are good for metal because they do have that fun factor. And unless we're talking TOTL the rest of the field
have technical deficiency's comparatively. As said, my preference would be for an Audez'e over either Grado or HifiMan, but I'd also take the HD650 for 
anything else but metal - even though some find those extremely boring. 

And More importantly, again, IMO, the 500 or 560 is the better match for metal. More body and heft. And I find them more natural sounding than most Grado's.

The 560 or LCD 2 may be my endgame. I really like the LCD-X, but I don't think I can justify over 1K even if I have the money. I just tell people if you are on a budget and buy used and say have less than $500 for your whole set up-Grados can let you dip your toes in the audiophile door.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #16,737 of 29,660

The 560 or LCD 2 may be my endgame. I really like the LCD-X, but I don't think I can justify over 1K even if I have the money. I just tell people if you are on a budget and buy used and say have less than $500 for your whole set up-Grados can let you dip your toes in the audiophile door.

There are plenty of options and plenty more differing opinions. Everything is about preference and as long as you're enjoying some good tunes that's all that matters.

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #16,738 of 29,660
The new 45 minutes supertrack by Inter Arma is damn good!

You can stream the whole monster here: http://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/inter-arma-cavern-review-stream/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back