Lets Talk Metal
Oct 2, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #16,666 of 29,662
Agreed, IMO they sound as good as ever and they haven't gone soft on us, like, say, In Flames.

In Flames is my favorite band, and it really frustrates me how awful the songwriting is on their new album.
frown.gif

By the way, how do you like the TH-900 with metal? It seems to be the ideal closed-back headphone to complement something like a STAX SR-009 system, which I also want.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #16,667 of 29,662

In Flames is my favorite band, and it really frustrates me how awful the songwriting is on their new album.
frown.gif

By the way, how do you like the TH-900 with metal? It seems to be the ideal closed-back headphone to complement something like a STAX SR-009 system, which I also want.

They used to be my favourite band too, but nowadays I don't know anymore.. I hope they get out of their downward spiral.

TH900 is great with metal. The only problem is that metal isn't generally too well mastered, so it rarely sounds mindblowingly good, but it still gives a very solid presentation with plenty of balls.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #16,668 of 29,662
  They used to be my favourite band too, but nowadays I don't know anymore.. I hope they get out of their downward spiral.

TH900 is great with metal. The only problem is that metal isn't generally too well mastered, so it rarely sounds mindblowingly good, but it still gives a very solid presentation with plenty of balls.

Who is your favorite band now? (I just ignore the material I don't like, since the good stuff is always there to listen to.)

Were you able to compare it with other flagship headphones? I think the SR-009 and TH-900 would complement each other, since one is focused on ultimate transparency and the other on a fun, enjoyable sound with the option of portability.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #16,669 of 29,662

Who is your favorite band now? (I just ignore the material I don't like, since the good stuff is always there to listen to.)

Were you able to compare it with other flagship headphones? I think the SR-009 and TH-900 would complement each other, since one is focused on ultimate transparency and the other on a fun, enjoyable sound with the option of portability.

It's hard to name one band over all, especially since I listen to bunch of different stuff depending on my mood. Lately I've been listening a lot of Jungle Rot, which was mentioned some time ago in here and I looked it up. Great stuff.

I haven't had experience with other flagships. I've bought all of my stuff blindly, since it's hard to audition anything back where I live. So far I have been happy with everything I've owned, and it's safe to say the TH900's are here to stay. Maybe in the future I'll get HD 800's to complement them, but it's not an immediate concern - I've got other stuff to throw my money at next in my mind. 
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #16,670 of 29,662

It's hard to name one band over all, especially since I listen to bunch of different stuff depending on my mood. Lately I've been listening a lot of Jungle Rot, which was mentioned some time ago in here and I looked it up. Great stuff.

I haven't had experience with other flagships. I've bought all of my stuff blindly, since it's hard to audition anything back where I live. So far I have been happy with everything I've owned, and it's safe to say the TH900's are here to stay. Maybe in the future I'll get HD 800's to complement them, but it's not an immediate concern - I've got other stuff to throw my money at next in my mind. 
wink.gif

One of the great benefits of the HF metal pages is discovering new music!

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #16,671 of 29,662

Not a big fan of TH900 for metal. The mid range suck really does put me off with these cans. I sold them after a few weeks of use.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #16,673 of 29,662
Found this new band via MA. Melodic death/thrash with some awesome leads and harmonies. Reminds me a bit of a pissed off/amped up Insomnium or Be'lakor.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #16,674 of 29,662
Which headphones are your favorite for metal, and why?

I've heard every headphone known to man minus the 009 (only because I just don't have any impetus to seek it out, but I would be more than happy to put these cans on).

I heard all of Rust In Peace on a Sennheiser Orpheus system. That was cool.

The Audeze LCD-3 is one of the best metal headphones on the planet right now. Deep bass. lush mids, and a slightly rolled off treble. Just kick butt for metal.

There are others that are excellent too.

But I honestly can NOT recommend the TH-900 after owning it for 2-3 weeks. That U shape is just .... not for me ...

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #16,675 of 29,662
I've heard every headphone known to man minus the 009 (only because I just don't have any impetus to seek it out, but I would be more than happy to put these cans on).

The Audeze LCD-3 is one of the best metal headphones on the planet right now. Deep bass. lush mids, and a slightly rolled off treble. Just kick butt for metal.

But I honestly can NOT recommend the TH-900 after owning it for 2-3 weeks. That U shape is just .... not for me ...

Hey, Trog, I had this on the "headphones for metal" page, but as I'm putting together some funds, I'm debating between the LCD2, X and HE 560.  Any thoughts?

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #16,677 of 29,662

How do you like the Abyss with metal, then?

What about electrostatic headphones other than the SR-009 and HE 90?

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #16,679 of 29,662

How do you like the Abyss with metal, then?

Why do you even ask? You are going to buy that stupid thing even if it sounds like arse with metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back