Lets Talk Metal
Aug 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #15,872 of 29,653

Oh, dude, I remember hearing Sacramentum over a decade ago and liking it, but never got around to getting their albums!

this album is their finest work. along with dawn slaughtersun and dissection storm of the light's bane, they are amongst the finest blackened death albums ever made.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #15,873 of 29,653
  this album is their finest work. along with dawn slaughtersun and dissection storm of the light's bane, they are amongst the finest blackened death albums ever made.

I have all of Dissection's stuff.
biggrin.gif

Have you heard Zyklon's World Ov Worms album? It's one of my favorites and features Limbonic Art's vocalist and Emperor's guitarist and drummer.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #15,874 of 29,653
Aug 10, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #15,877 of 29,653

Black death is exact-Not solid death and not solid black.stuck right in the middle.it worries me when people have not heard of this stuff and relentlessly persue new cds.its impossible to keep up you know
eek.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #15,879 of 29,653
Hello metal audiophiles. I'm saving and planning on plunking down some cash to upgrade my stereo-2 channel speaker system.

Do you guys have strong feelings about tubes and metal?

I've  been auditioning systems but haven't really thought about tubes until this week. After the CAF (Capital Audio Festival) I decided to visit a couple of the venders. A couple of the young dudes I hang w/ at some of the local headfi meets here are big fans of Deja Vu a kind of high end place in McLean Virginia that has a lot of tube amplifiers, DACs, etc. They turned me onto an interesting local MD audio company-Jolida which makes a pretty darn sweet DAC for only $500.

It's an interesting store. Anyway, the owner has his store set up almost like CAF-with various listening rooms with comfortable sitting areas. No hard sell-he encourages you to spend some time, and get comfortable and listen. After talking to him on the phone, he urged me to bring my speakers and amp/DAC in and try some of his DACS with my current set up and try my speakers with a nice tube amp and DAC. In fact, he told me, that my speakers were fine...given their price point, but that my amp/dac was the problem I'm hearing. His suggesting was to invest in a nice amp.

I listen in a small 10 x 12 home office/computer room where I have my computer, etc. I did, indeed find that plugging my medium fi $700 shelf speakers in into his electronics radically improved the sound. It was a pretty interesting exercise.

I know this is a headphone site, but amplification is amplification IMO whether it's w/ speakers or HP's.

I figure good sound is good sound. But, I'm wondering if the open, airy tube sound would sound....I don't know kind of mushy for the more detailed, brighter systems I'm more familiar with.

I will say coming from Grado HPs and hearing a bunch of Audeze and HE stuff that I'm drawn to more warm, full, even lush sound signatures.

I didn't hear any metal. I'm curious what you guys think about warm, tube sound. I thought it sounded really good w/ a Steely Dan track we used as a comparison from the Aja album. But, that is about as far from metal in the rock world as you can get.

But, it's still a good album
atsmile.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #15,880 of 29,653
I agree with you on amplification hindrances. I used to think that my amp and speakers were pretty much garbage, but once I put the Bifrost and Asgard 2 in there, holy crap, things improved drastically. You really do need the proper voltage going into your amp, even if they tell you that you can run it off of an iPod.

As far as tubes, I find that it depends on what genres you listen to and what kind of sound you prefer, but for me, it took away too much clarity and made things feel less forceful. That lush and smooth background doesn't mesh well with brutal music for me. I find that solid states are always more satisfying to listen to with metal.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #15,881 of 29,653

As far as tubes, I find that it depends on what genres you listen to and what kind of sound you prefer, but for me, it took away too much clarity and made things feel less forceful. That lush and smooth background doesn't mesh well with brutal music for me. I find that solid states are always more satisfying to listen to with metal.

OK-that's what I was getting at.....although Metal is only about half of what I listen to. I'm thinking tubes sound great w/ a lot of straight up prog/rock/jazz, etc.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #15,882 of 29,653
I don't think tubes are for me even though I listen to a lot of sludge and stoner metal. Cleaner sounds is more up my alley. I too have been looking for a new amp for my HD600s but have not found one that I really like. All of my sources are pretty clean, I have a Shure M97XE on my Rega RP3, a MODI for my DAC, and my speakers are Yamaha HS6 Studio monitors. The summer buying guide did just come out though so we will see if I can find anything in there locally around me. 

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #15,883 of 29,653
  Hello metal audiophiles. I'm saving and planning on plunking down some cash to upgrade my stereo-2 channel speaker system.

Do you guys have strong feelings about tubes and metal?

I've  been auditioning systems but haven't really thought about tubes until this week. After the CAF (Capital Audio Festival) I decided to visit a couple of the venders. A couple of the young dudes I hang w/ at some of the local headfi meets here are big fans of Deja Vu a kind of high end place in McLean Virginia that has a lot of tube amplifiers, DACs, etc. They turned me onto an interesting local MD audio company-Jolida which makes a pretty darn sweet DAC for only $500.

It's an interesting store. Anyway, the owner has his store set up almost like CAF-with various listening rooms with comfortable sitting areas. No hard sell-he encourages you to spend some time, and get comfortable and listen. After talking to him on the phone, he urged me to bring my speakers and amp/DAC in and try some of his DACS with my current set up and try my speakers with a nice tube amp and DAC. In fact, he told me, that my speakers were fine...given their price point, but that my amp/dac was the problem I'm hearing. His suggesting was to invest in a nice amp.

I listen in a small 10 x 12 home office/computer room where I have my computer, etc. I did, indeed find that plugging my medium fi $700 shelf speakers in into his electronics radically improved the sound. It was a pretty interesting exercise.

I know this is a headphone site, but amplification is amplification IMO whether it's w/ speakers or HP's.

I figure good sound is good sound. But, I'm wondering if the open, airy tube sound would sound....I don't know kind of mushy for the more detailed, brighter systems I'm more familiar with.

I will say coming from Grado HPs and hearing a bunch of Audeze and HE stuff that I'm drawn to more warm, full, even lush sound signatures.

I didn't hear any metal. I'm curious what you guys think about warm, tube sound. I thought it sounded really good w/ a Steely Dan track we used as a comparison from the Aja album. But, that is about as far from metal in the rock world as you can get.

But, it's still a good album
atsmile.gif

Budget?
Channel count? aka stereo, 2.1, quad, double stereo etc.
Source? computer, cd player, turntable etc

I have moved away from headphones mostly with the exception of mobile, and know a little bit about conventional hi-fi

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #15,884 of 29,653

Budget?
Channel count? aka stereo, 2.1, quad, double stereo etc.
Source? computer, cd player, turntable etc

I have moved away from headphones mostly with the exception of mobile, and know a little bit about conventional hi-fi

Basic stereo w/ an integrated amp-guess that's 2 channel...I'm not great with the vocabulary words
confused_face(1).gif

Currently got an entry level but decent Onkyo 7030 CD player, Rotel  Ra-12 amp w/ built in Dac and Monitor Audio RX1 shelf speaker in a 10x 11/12'ish room. The synergy between the Rotel and the Monitor Audio speakers isn't ideal. The speakers sounded much better in the store when I auditioned them. The sound is flat and thin. Paring my speakers with $3-6 K worth of  tube amps and nice -DAC at a store blew my system out of the water.-warmer, fuller, better soundstage, more detailed, tighter bass, separation of instruments.

I run a Sonos Connect thru my speaker system to access my digital files-all my CD's-more or less 12,000 tracks in lossless stored on a NAS.

I listen to Sonos and CD's. Stream a little bit from a music service.

Ultimately, I'm looking at upgrading my amp, maybe a pre amp, DAC and perhaps new speakers. I'm considering Sojfn Clue Speakers that I saw at CAF and liked.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/09/19/second-thoughts-digging-in-to-the-clue-from-sjofn-hifi/

http://www.sjofnhifi.com/

I thought the Clue sounded really good-kind of designed for a big sound in a small space for 1K. But, I'm taking my time and looking at various options.

if I go with the Clue speakers, I may go with the set up at the show which was with a Clone amp. Or, maybe this beast:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/06/nuprime-ida-16-integrated-digital-amp.html

Budget? I work part time as a kayak  instructor during the summer. I expect to have 4-5 K to work with by the end of the season-October/November. IF needed I'll keep the speakers and focus on the electronics and then upgrade my speakers later.

That's kind of where I'm at.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #15,885 of 29,653

Basic stereo w/ an integrated amp-guess that's 2 channel...I'm not great with the vocabulary words
confused_face(1).gif

Currently got an entry level but decent Onkyo 7030 CD player, Rotel  Ra-12 amp w/ built in Dac and Monitor Audio RX1 shelf speaker in a 10x 11/12'ish room. The synergy between the Rotel and the Monitor Audio speakers isn't ideal. The speakers sounded much better in the store when I auditioned them. The sound is flat and thin. Paring my speakers with $3-6 K worth of  tube amps and nice -DAC at a store blew my system out of the water.-warmer, fuller, better soundstage, more detailed, tighter bass, separation of instruments.

I run a Sonos Connect thru my speaker system to access my digital files-all my CD's-more or less 12,000 tracks in lossless stored on a NAS.

I listen to Sonos and CD's. Stream a little bit from a music service.

Ultimately, I'm looking at upgrading my amp, maybe a pre amp, DAC and perhaps new speakers. I'm considering Sojfn Clue Speakers that I saw at CAF and liked.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/09/19/second-thoughts-digging-in-to-the-clue-from-sjofn-hifi/

http://www.sjofnhifi.com/

I thought the Clue sounded really good-kind of designed for a big sound in a small space for 1K. But, I'm taking my time and looking at various options.

if I go with the Clue speakers, I may go with the set up at the show which was with a Clone amp. Or, maybe this beast:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/06/nuprime-ida-16-integrated-digital-amp.html

Budget? I work part time as a kayak  instructor during the summer. I expect to have 4-5 K to work with by the end of the season-October/November. IF needed I'll keep the speakers and focus on the electronics and then upgrade my speakers later.

That's kind of where I'm at.

I have been messing with tubes from 1975 until now. My opinion is that a low output 2 channel tube amp may not have the balls to really do metal. My speaker rig is some really old but high quality Energy speakers with bi-amplification along with a tuned sub. Thus I really think a small 2 channel is not going to get the sound and solid state is a better way to go. I obviously I have not heard everything and not any 2014/2013 stuff.

Small tube amps are better for classical and jazz music.High efficient up to 10 watt full range Fostex type single driver speakers are great for small tube amps with classical and jazz. If you want to spend big bucks then a high output tube amp will work great with metal but be ready to spend a house down payment for it.

That Nuforce amp looks cool. I have been amazed with small speaker set ups but they had subs.

Still what you have to remember is everyone has their own sound reference points. I had a system in the past with 4 15 inch woofers and multiple police vehicles would arrive and worn me if I tuned it 75% up close to full volume. It sounded louder and better than any live music you ever heard. Not to brag. LOL

So everyone has their own room requirements and volume levels needed. Many have a situation where they don't need a loud stereo. Though I would like to know what ohm that amp puts out 200W?

Keep in mind that if you have been listening to a great headphone rig for awhile that it takes a good speaker system to impress.

5K should get an insane speaker rig together! Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back