Lets Talk Metal
Jun 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #14,671 of 29,701

Well, at $30 a pop I don't know. I remember getting a deal and spending like $100 for the complete CD box set of the 90 remasters. I have this really long history with Zep even having a friend with one of the largest collections of Zeppelin stuff. I have really seen it all as far as bootlegs and rare stuff. This remaster thing has been a long, confusing and drawn out thing and I'm glad it is over. I would most likely get em all if the vinyl set was offered as one? I don't care about any live recordings or ruff mixes, just get me the albums like they came out.

There have actually been remasters which came out of a couple albums in 08. I was able to hear Houses Of The Holy and saw Physical Graffiti but it was left un-opened. The word was that Jimmy Page stopped the 08 rendition so what came out today could be done.

What folks have to keep in mind is that not all of these songs are going to sound the same.The songs in two and three are not consistent sounding but great none the less. Part of Zeppelin three was recorded in an English house with the mobile studio owned by the Rolling Stones. They really cared what sound they got but lost consistency at times. They recorded the drums in big tall rooms with microphones hanging down from the 20 foot ceilings.The sound on two and three are in ways inferior to album one. It was like there is more effects on albums two and three, where one is more of a straight ahead recording. I don't know what the overdub compressed effects will sound like in HD for two and three. What I'm holding out for is a new sound of the seventh album "Presence" that album never sounded right to me even though the music was great. I hope Jimmy gets a new sound for that one.

You're a good Zep resource.  Interesting stuff. From your earlier post, it almost sounds like Jimmy may have recorded some new guitar tracks to improve the sound.

I'm strictly CD, but I actually don't have their first few CDs now.

I've got the 90's remasters-just the 2 CD version which is pretty thin on songs, Celebration Day, Mothershp, the BBC Sessions which I really like and How the West Was Won. Last year I picked up Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti. I think they were remastered around 93-94. I should have waited a year!

So, I have most of their songs represented in either a live or compilation setting.

Still, I'll probably pick up Zep I, II and III if they are as good as you say.

I played Zep IV so many tims when I was a kid, I don't think I'll ever want it even though it's probably their best known album.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #14,672 of 29,701

You're a good Zep resource.  Interesting stuff. From your earlier post, it almost sounds like Jimmy may have recorded some new guitar tracks to improve the sound.

I'm strictly CD, but I actually don't have their first few CDs now.

I've got the 90's remasters-just the 2 CD version which is pretty thin on songs, Celebration Day, Mothershp, the BBC Sessions which I really like and How the West Was Won. Last year I picked up Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti. I think they were remastered around 93-94. I should have waited a year!

So, I have most of their songs represented in either a live or compilation setting.

Still, I'll probably pick up Zep I, II and III if they are as good as you say.

I played Zep IV so many tims when I was a kid, I don't think I'll ever want it even though it's probably their best known album.

Zeppelin Four is maybe my second favorite after Zeppelin One. Zeppelin One is just something that I love. Though I would wait on the remasters of two and three. I don't think they will be that different from what's out already? Unless your into the extras. You know that everyone is going to dump their old Zeppelin CDs so you can get a whole collection in the used market for cheap.

As far as Jimmy Pages guitar tracks on album one? I really don't know. It almost sounds like he used effects on the original tracks? That's the thing. They didn't have phaser type effects in what I remember of Led Zeppelin One? Where it does state that their IS ruff mixes in three and two and extra live tracks on album one? You wonder what mixing was done. I always thought a remaster did not have track mixing.

Even if Jimmy did remix everything I even wonder if he would state that as the purists would flip their lids?

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #14,673 of 29,701
Finally... Am I alone in being of the belief that Wrath and ...The More Things Change (cbb with italicised titles today, sorry - posting via iPhone lol) are two seethingly angry records that are far too underrated and appreciated? While New American Gospel is my absolute favourite Lamb of God album, "Reclamation", "Broken Hands" and "We Die Alone" are three absolute favourite picks.

wrath is only ok to me, i am a massive Lamb of God fan but i stopped caring so much at sacrament, which is their last colossal record IMO.  but to me, even the worst LoG is better than most of the hipster garbage out there right now

as for machine head....well i like all their stuff ok but never a huge fan.  i actually like their new album best of their whole catalog

as to this whole led zep thing....this whole thing smells like ca$h in, i guess it's fair that they're big enough to pull it off but still.  how many copies of one record should one own....but i'll end up with the HD stuff just cause LOL, so i guess i'll stop the hypocrisy and enjoy the sound

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #14,674 of 29,701

wrath is only ok to me, i am a massive Lamb of God fan but i stopped caring so much at sacrament, which is their last colossal record IMO.  but to me, even the worst LoG is better than most of the hipster garbage out there right now

as for machine head....well i like all their stuff ok but never a huge fan.  i actually like their new album best of their whole catalog

as to this whole led zep thing....this whole thing smells like ca$h in, i guess it's fair that they're big enough to pull it off but still.  how many copies of one record should one own....but i'll end up with the HD stuff just cause LOL, so i guess i'll stop the hypocrisy and enjoy the sound

Well if you could hear the acoustic guitar on "Babe I'm going to leave you" you would think it was worth having another copy. Phased or not. I can't figure it out? It may have been double track "flangedhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanging " back in 1969 and now you can hear it. Just another Zeppelin enigma??????

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #14,675 of 29,701
I'd get Enslaveds Isa, Ruun or Vertebrae if you don't own those. All just perfect in so many ways.

Then later get old thin sounding stuff like maybe Frost.

They changed from being popular with their old sound going threw a strange experimental prog phase to come out with Isa which was their modern day classic. But of those three, everyone here has a particular favorite.

With Mardraum being the experimental wild-card of their output, commonly thought of as their transitional phase.

I have ISA and don't really like it that much after Riitiir. The songs and riffs are a bit immature, lacking finesse, to my ears. I hate so say this but like a beginner guitarist stuff. Now I feel so ashamed 
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #14,676 of 29,701
  Zeppelin Four is maybe my second favorite after Zeppelin One. Zeppelin One is just something that I love. Though I would wait on the remasters of two and three. I don't think they will be that different from what's out already? Unless your into the extras. You know that everyone is going to dump their old Zeppelin CDs so you can get a whole collection in the used market for cheap.

As far as Jimmy Pages guitar tracks on album one? I really don't know. It almost sounds like he used effects on the original tracks? That's the thing. They didn't have phaser type effects in what I remember of Led Zeppelin One? Where it does state that their IS ruff mixes in three and two and extra live tracks on album one? You wonder what mixing was done. I always thought a remaster did not have track mixing.

Even if Jimmy did remix everything I even wonder if he would state that as the purists would flip their lids?

Yeah-that makes sense. I like Zep I anyway and probably Zep III-one I let go sometime ago. I always liked the accoustic leangings of that album.

And-it probably is a cash grab, but what can I say...Beatles, Sabbath, Floyd, Zeppelin-if the sound is even 10%  better, I'm in.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #14,677 of 29,701
  Yeah-that makes sense. I like Zep I anyway and probably Zep III-one I let go sometime ago. I always liked the accoustic leangings of that album.

And-it probably is a cash grab, but what can I say...Beatles, Sabbath, Floyd, Zeppelin-if the sound is even 10%  better, I'm in.

me too ...  that's why i called myself a hypocrite....but Zep of all the bands, i have the vinyl and the tapes and the CD's now i need the HD files....ugh.

when all i really want, is ....And Justice for All mastered even kind of somewhat properly LOL

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #14,678 of 29,701

me too ...  that's why i called myself a hypocrite....but Zep of all the bands, i have the vinyl and the tapes and the CD's now i need the HD files....ugh.

when all i really want, is ....And Justice for All mastered even kind of somewhat properly LOL

Hell yeah-that would be killer! Saw them in consert on that tour will always remember with The Cult (who were awful-even though I like the band)....just a few short years ago
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #14,679 of 29,701

I purchased the newer 33.3 and the original from the day is the best. But yes, who knows, we may see HD of everything. You know KISS will do it now? HD MOP for the win!

Did you hear the Justice for Cliff fan edition with added bass?

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #14,680 of 29,701

I purchased the newer 33.3 and the original from the day is the best. But yes, who knows, we may see HD of everything. You know KISS will do it now? HD MOP for the win!

Did you hear the Justice for Cliff fan edition with added bass?

No. But I will find it at any cost :)

The SCC gold disc remaster of MOP is superb, it would make a good transfer right to HD!

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #14,681 of 29,701

No. But I will find it at any cost
smily_headphones1.gif

The SCC gold disc remaster of MOP is superb, it would make a good transfer right to HD!

Sorry. It's called Justice For Jason.

My bad.

I will never forget getting my rig together for the first time. I could actually hear records for what they were, either good or bad. I played the 2 disk vinyl release which came out about 5 years ago and I thought I got ripped off. I then went deep into my collection and found the 1988 original 33.3 single disc ...And Justice for All. Playing it I was dumbfounded how bad it was. Just distorted and compressed and no bass at all. How they could release such a landmark album at the level of recording and mastering is beyond comprehension. Lol.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #14,682 of 29,701

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #14,683 of 29,701
oops 

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #14,684 of 29,701
More from Blood Music; holy ****. EMPEROR. BOX SET.

Quote:
Blood Music is extremely, incredibly proud to announce the greatest extreme metal band of all-time to its roster - Emperor official!
We've been working behind-the-scenes for more than a year - carefully compiling every detail of Emperor's oeuvre from the minute they began in 1991 until their final breath in 2007. We are working directly in conjunction with the members themselves to compile the most incredible, beautiful, and archival collection one could ever imagine into a massive COMPLETE WORKS box set, due to be released in approximately one year.

This will be the first time the band's music will be properly remastered for vinyl, as well as presented in true vinyl special editions of any kind. An insane honor for us to take part in.

Start saving your money this minute. The box set will be a one-time only, limited edition pressing. There will be no copies of our records outside the box set this time. This will be a unique offering that will make a massive mark upon the history of metal and quickly vanish into thin air.

Oh, and it will be the largest metal box set of all-time (beating out ourMoonsorrow set) and one of the largest box sets ever created in the history of music. So really ... if you want in on this. Start saving now.

Early-to-mid 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back