Lets Talk Metal
Jun 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #14,641 of 29,701
No dispute from me there (on both counts). :) I could not imagine the album being presented in any other way though.

There is so much hate for Death Magnetic when really it shows all the thrash pretenders out there how it's done. Ulrich's drumming might not be the most preficient, to the point of it being endearingly terrible, but I would go as far to say that it is as good as (though not as clever) as Justice.

I am new to this thread, which spans almost 1,000 pages; I hope I am not starting its 59th Metallica debate!

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #14,642 of 29,701
No dispute from me there (on both counts).
smily_headphones1.gif
I could not imagine the album being presented in any other way though.

There is so much hate for Death Magnetic when really it shows all the thrash pretenders out there how it's done. Ulrich's drumming might not be the most preficient, to the point of it being endearingly terrible, but I would go as far to say that it is as good as (though not as clever) as Justice.

I am new to this thread, which spans almost 1,000 pages; I hope I am not starting its 59th Metallica debate!

All cool. Most of us here have fond memories of listening to MOP and love that record. I think the majority think they changed. For me, Death Magnetic was a great return to form for them. We are kidding ourselves to think the band could ever produce MOP2.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #14,643 of 29,701
Speaking of changed bands....

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #14,645 of 29,701
Talk about discussions, this thread had it's share with the past Opeth.

Still I like this song but no more growling vocals. Would still like to see my heavy Opeth from years past return, not crossing any fingers.

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #14,646 of 29,701
I was expecting something a tad more complex, however I suppose this is only a teaser. Singles are almost always the most accessible picks from any given album.

On another slightly different tip: a true musical epiphany can be experienced when listening to Wintersun's Time (Part I record (the best bit is there shall be a part II!) through the Shure SE846. This album for mine provided a real musical discovery along with (don't judge me) Lowkey's Soundtrack to the Struggle (owing to lyrical bombshells such as "the biggest looters are the British Museum"...).

As a previous IE800 owner, I can tell you now for nothing that the 846s are the only headphones capable of giving this masterpiece justice.

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #14,647 of 29,701
Talk about discussions, this thread had it's share with the past Opeth.

Still I like this song but no more growling vocals. Would still like to see my heavy Opeth from years past return, not crossing any fingers.

I like it as well. Mikael clean singing and growl are both among my favourite in the respective category. However, it seems like the chance of hearing him using growl is very slim :frowning2: that and Insomnium returning to ABTWW style (Niilo growl is my favourite!)

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #14,648 of 29,701
New Son of Aurelius got released to pre-orderers today...

uhh... I ran it through DR meter, and 90% of it was 3. Wow, especially considering that it was a self-produced album. Very unfortunate, and listening to it, it's either too quiet or too loud. At least there's a good amount of space between instruments, but still.

GREAT album so far, otherwise.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #14,649 of 29,701
I like to check out the Aboutheavymetal.com end of the month recommendations. Sometimes I'll find a new band that I really like. The May list has several bands that are gaps in my metal listening. Can anyone give me impressions of any of these bands who have new albums? Are any of these guys worth checking out?

1. Crowbar
2. Eyehategod
3. Misery Index
4. Prong-my memory is they had a kind of  industrial thrash sound. I had an early album of theirs many years ago-wondering how their new one is?

I have just had a listen to one of Misery Index's songs on YouTube. There must be something in the water around the Virginia/Maryland way (I am acutely aware this might be a faux pas :p ) because they have a sound that is reminiscent of Lamb of God, however not quite as flared or seamless (not taking anything away anything from them here). Very impressed. I have a sinking feeling they have recently toured Australia.

Edit: I am not sure where I got that idea from. They haven't toured here since 2010! :)

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #14,650 of 29,701
I have just had a listen to one of Misery Index's songs on YouTube. There must be something in the water around the Virginia/Maryland way (I am acutely aware this might be a faux pas
tongue.gif
) because they have a sound that is reminiscent of Lamb of God, however not quite as flared or seamless (not taking anything away anything from them here). Very impressed. I have a sinking feeling they have recently toured Australia.

Edit: I am not sure where I got that idea from. They haven't toured here since 2010!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've seen some positive review of Crowbar and Eyehategod...I like doom and sludge when I'm in the mood....will plan to stream them and check them out.

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #14,651 of 29,701
I was lucky enough to witness three excellent sludge / stoner bands at Cherry Bar, Melbourne last week, with Beastwars headlining.

I need to be in the mood for it as well, but since then my appetite has been whetted nicely.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #14,652 of 29,701
beyersmile.png

foobar2000 1.2.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2014-06-03 17:13:03
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Panopticon / Roads to the north
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR8        0.00 dB    -9.60 dB      9:37 01-The Echoes Of A Disharmonic Evensong
DR8        0.00 dB    -9.49 dB     12:43 02-Where Mountains Pierce The sky
DR10      -3.42 dB   -16.31 dB      5:57 03-The Long Road, I. One Last Fire
DR8       -0.08 dB    -9.72 dB      7:54 04-The Long Road, II. Capricious Miles
DR8        0.00 dB   -10.16 dB      9:40 05-The Long Road, III.The Sigh Of Summer
DR11      -4.73 dB   -18.33 dB      3:20 06-Norwegian Nights
DR8        0.00 dB    -9.78 dB      9:47 07-In Silence
DR8        0.00 dB    -9.94 dB     12:15 08-Chase The Grain
Number of tracks:  8
Official DR value: DR9
Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bitrate:           320 kbps
Codec:             MP3
================================================================================

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #14,653 of 29,701
beyersmile.png
²
foobar2000 1.2.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2014-06-03 17:19:52
Analyzed: Saor / Aura
DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR9       -0.82 dB   -11.95 dB     12:15 01-Children of the Mist
DR9       -0.79 dB   -12.03 dB     13:40 02-Aura
DR8       -0.73 dB   -10.71 dB     10:09 03-The Awakening
DR9       -0.78 dB   -12.16 dB      8:24 04-Farewell
DR9       -0.68 dB   -12.26 dB     12:11 05-Pillars of the Earth
Number of tracks:  5
Official DR value: DR9
Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bitrate:           320 kbps
Codec:             MP3
================================================================================

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #14,655 of 29,701
I have just had a listen to one of Misery Index's songs on YouTube. There must be something in the water around the Virginia/Maryland way (I am acutely aware this might be a faux pas
tongue.gif
) because they have a sound that is reminiscent of Lamb of God, however not quite as flared or seamless (not taking anything away anything from them here). Very impressed. I have a sinking feeling they have recently toured Australia.

Edit: I am not sure where I got that idea from. They haven't toured here since 2010!
smily_headphones1.gif

Just did some streaming while working on report cards at work (I'm a teacher and kids are out) on the worst sound possible-school PC-nothing blows me away here-but not listening under ideal circumstances.

My impressions:

I kind of dig Crowbar-I read they were sort of a combinationof Pantera and Melvins-two touchstones in my listening from bygone days. But, I'd rather listen to some cool Neurosis or real doom like YOB.

Misery Index wasn't bad-a little generic....the genres of DM elude me....little bit of a "core" vibe-closest reference point for me might be  Jungle Rot-Kill on Command-but I like them much better....but similarly crunchy and shouty. I can definitely listen to them...just not blown away

Eyehategod-Meh-not a must have

So, uh, my question is where is the great Carcass (maybe the new Vader?) or Wattain-Sworn to the Dark or Enslaved (pick any album!) Always looking for the diamond in the ruff. All of these are B- to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back