Lets Talk Metal
May 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #14,282 of 29,688
  New Archspire album up on Bandcamp... uber fast, uber tech, ubermensch

http://seasonofmist.bandcamp.com/album/the-lucid-collective?t=5

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! THANK YOU! 

May 2, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #14,283 of 29,688

This is experimental I can get down to

May 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #14,284 of 29,688
I already own Black Sabbath, I don't know the album title but it's the one with Paranoid. I didn't know Black Sabbath was a metal genre. I like them.

Also listening to some Metallica and think it's pretty darn cool. And I'm a classical music guy! There is a sense of fun in metal that reminds me of some of the most fun classical music.

May 2, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #14,285 of 29,688
  New Archspire album up on Bandcamp... uber fast, uber tech, ubermensch

http://seasonofmist.bandcamp.com/album/the-lucid-collective?t=5

Meh. Not how I like my Tech Death.

That's what I'm talking about!

Still my favorite Tech Death troop ♥

May 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #14,286 of 29,688
  I already own Black Sabbath, I don't know the album title but it's the one with Paranoid. I didn't know Black Sabbath was a metal genre. I like them.

Also listening to some Metallica and think it's pretty darn cool. And I'm a classical music guy! There is a sense of fun in metal that reminds me of some of the most fun classical music.

Well you really should check out Metallicas "symphonic" album then!
Lots of people hate it (for reasons that are absolutely beyond me) but I think it's executed perfectly. The orchestration ties in flawlessly.
My favorite version of this song:

May 2, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #14,287 of 29,688
That Origin album is awesome. My wife even likes it haha. One thing about Origin though is that I don't think John Longstreth's abilities are really displayed. I thought he was a blazingly fast, but only adequate, drummer... until I heard Colored Sands. That dude can drum!

Oh, also I think I read somewhere that Origin will be putting out a new album this year and the band says it's a beast. Hopefully it somehow tops Antithesis.

Second edit: http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/origin-finish-recording-omnipresent

May 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #14,288 of 29,688

Need some metal infused with strings:

May 2, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #14,289 of 29,688
  That Origin album is awesome. My wife even likes it haha. One thing about Origin though is that I don't think John Longstreth's abilities are really displayed. I thought he was a blazingly fast, but only adequate, drummer... until I heard Colored Sands. That dude can drum!

Oh, also I think I read somewhere that Origin will be putting out a new album this year and the band says it's a beast. Hopefully it somehow tops Antithesis.

I think a big part of that Antithesis doesn't have the best production. Entity sounds much cleaner and Colored Sands is GORGEOUS.

The new album is called Omnipresent and I can't wait to hear it. The only thing that lacked on Entity were the vocals since Paul and Mike did the vocals as well this time. Jason Keyser handled all of the writing and vocals on the new album, and he is a killer vocalist. They are so goddam good live, it hurts. I lose myself in the pit every time they come through.

May 2, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #14,290 of 29,688
  Need some metal infused with strings:

SubRosa is really great.
Fleshgod Apocalypse could be really great if they would stop letting a deaf person mix and master their albums.

May 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #14,291 of 29,688
  SubRosa is really great.
Fleshgod Apocalypse could be really great if they would stop letting a deaf person mix and master their albums.

Totally agree on both accounts. I can't believe Nuclear Blast lets them put it out like that. Complete amateur hour. Bands with far less resources make way better recordings.

Hour of Penance and Beheaded are other bands that I just think "you're so good, but you can't record WORTH A DAMN." I guess those Eastern European guys don't know how to record.

May 2, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #14,293 of 29,688
  Totally agree on both accounts. I can't believe Nuclear Blast lets them put it out like that. Complete amateur hour. Bands with far less resources make way better recordings.

Hour of Penance and Beheaded are other bands that I just think "you're so good, but you can't record WORTH A DAMN." I guess those Southern European guys don't know how to record.

Fixed that for you.

Nuclear Blast seems like a label that doesn't really care about minor things like this :/
Can't waste time on mastering when have to do thousands of promo videos and come up with a bazillion different versions of every album that gets released through them (I think they offer six versions of the new Epica album).
Overall they just appear to me as a bit more profit-focused.

May 2, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #14,294 of 29,688

You should definitely check out symphonic metal, then.

I really love:

- Therion-Lemuria/Sirius B-amazing, ambitious operatic metal album
-Virgin Black's Requiem Mezzo Forte-
-Nightwish-Century Child-
-The Gathering-If_then_else

These albums all have over the top symphonic elements and female vocals that are fantastic. A lot of people would call this music "wimpy" because this kind of metal is very melodic.

There are also some good extreme symphonic metal such as symphonic black metal....

Today, metal has become dominated by extreme vocals. So heavy music with so called "clean" vocals sometimes is just lumped in w/ hard rock.

Black Sabbath sort parts the seas between classic rock and metal-but they are loved by most metal heads that know anything about the history of heavy rock music.

May 2, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #14,295 of 29,688
  Well you really should check out Metallicas "symphonic" album then!
Lots of people hate it (for reasons that are absolutely beyond me) but I think it's executed perfectly. The orchestration ties in flawlessly.
My favorite version of this song:

Hmm, it's okay, but when I say I'm a classical guy, it's not that I like classical instruments. That's a more surface aspect of the music. I'm interested in deeper patterns--how rhythm, melody, and harmony work together to create a sophisticated impression. Part of that is whether the instrument's timbre is appropriate to the style--so electric guitars are very appropriate to metal. I like electric guitars doing things that electric guitars are good at, and strings doing things that strings are good at. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back