Lets Talk Metal
Apr 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #14,236 of 29,690
  Anyone take a listen to Isis's new remaster? I'm waiting to hear some opinions on it. I'll probably end up buying it because I'm a huge fan boy, but I wanted some other's take on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Panopticon-Remastered-Isis/dp/B00JJCP6WC

I'm always worried about remasters. The original sounded amazing, and a lot of the time "remaster" just means "dynamic range removed so it's louder". 

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #14,237 of 29,690

Quote:

I'm always worried about remasters. The original sounded amazing, and a lot of the time "remaster" just means "dynamic range removed so it's louder". 

That's why I thought was going to happen but it didn't sound that way on my remaster of Celestial. Here's what they did for Backlit:

https://soundcloud.com/ipecacrecordings/iisis-backlit

I'm pretty happy with the Japanese releases of their albums, I'll check this out though. 

Hank_Venture, let us know what you think!

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #14,238 of 29,690
I just bought my first Immortal album, At the Heart of Winter, and I'm listening to it right now. This band is fantastic! The opening riff on Solarfall is top notch. I also got Battles in the North, but I haven't listened to it yet.

I've been listening to metal since the mid '90s, but for some reason I never really got into any of the older black metal bands. I'm almost glad I saved them until now because albums that are over a decade old sound really fresh.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #14,239 of 29,690
Something to start your day 

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #14,240 of 29,690
I just bought my first Immortal album, At the Heart of Winter, and I'm listening to it right now. This band is fantastic! The opening riff on Solarfall is top notch. I also got Battles in the North, but I haven't listened to it yet.

I've been listening to metal since the mid '90s, but for some reason I never really got into any of the older black metal bands. I'm almost glad I saved them until now because albums that are over a decade old sound really fresh.

Possibly the cutest Black Metal band ever.
Saw them live two times and they really don't fail to entertain the crowd!
Also: Best BM video ever ♥

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #14,245 of 29,690
The new Candelight sampler has some pretty cool stuff on it (including a track from the upcoming Falloch album ♥)
https://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/legion-iii

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #14,246 of 29,690

That's a great album. My favorite of theirs. They evolved into a different style at that point...

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #14,247 of 29,690
  The new Candelight sampler has some pretty cool stuff on it (including a track from the upcoming Falloch album ♥)
https://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/legion-iii

New Sigh rocks!!!

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #14,248 of 29,690
I'm setting up demo music on my laptop for the next meet. I am mainly a classical guy and know very little about other genres. I would be interested in knowing what THE essential metal album is. Note that I am saying I want to "demo" my headphones but that doesn't mean I want a "well-recorded" album that's crap music---I want good music above all. It would also help if it were well-known music so I maximize my chances of someone stopping by and being familiar with the album.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #14,249 of 29,690

People write off Immortal as a joke and never give them a listen, but their music is really solid. And they have been in the scene since the beginning of the 2nd Wave/generation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back