Lets Talk Metal
Feb 8, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #13,278 of 29,660
Cheers!

Ha, many reviewers are saying they never liked Behemoth before, but do now. I never knew they were so unpopular before.
wink.gif

So tell me something...I'm like a kid who is picky about eating vegetables....with death metal. I'm only beginning to warm up to Gorguts. But, I actually like evangelion, The Apostacy and Demigod....does this feel like the flavor of the week that will be eclipsed by the end of the year or a real keeper? I still enjoy the last releases by bands like Grave, The Crown, Krisiun, Immolation, Vastum, Jungle Rot and Asphyx.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #13,279 of 29,660
Just listened to the new sunn/ulver

I don't know what to say. I hope it's a grower. But I feel I must wash in 00Void thru Black one now...

Yeah, it's a jam record so what can you expect? 
floatsmile.png
 Luckily there's some solid ground on both bands to flush it out if needed.

(haven't heard it yet, waiting for the vinyl to arrive)
edit: I like the Behemoth album too! Ordered already!

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #13,280 of 29,660
  So tell me something...I'm like a kid who is picky about eating vegetables....with death metal. I'm only beginning to warm up to Gorguts. But, I actually like evangelion, The Apostacy and Demigod....does this feel like the flavor of the week that will be eclipsed by the end of the year or a real keeper? I still enjoy the last releases by bands like Grave, The Crown, Krisiun, Immolation, Vastum, Jungle Rot and Asphyx.

"Grave, The Crown, Krisiun, Immolation, Vastum, Jungle Rot and Asphyx. "

My regular listens too. I have tried but could never get into Gorguts, not even a little like you.

The thing with the new Behemoth is it's taking Marduk and going forward. It's making Marduk science Black Metal and adding melody, and super cool vocals.

I don't think it's the flavor of the week but will come into vogue maybe when your grandchildren start to get into metal many years from now. It is actually metal for a future time and does not even fit into today's market as such. IMO.Black Metal has never been trendy and has never been apart of this earth. It is it's own separate thing unto itself.

Some folks need Black Metal to be trendy and maybe will wear Dark Funeral T-Shirts to the mall. Those are not real fans but kids rebelling to society and their parents.

I wonder too, what Behemoths next album will be like and if they will continue to explore their new found sound?

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #13,281 of 29,660
Sunn's LaREH was too much for my vinyl pre-amp :D Lost the low end for a moment. Time to change a few caps eh?

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #13,282 of 29,660
  "Grave, The Crown, Krisiun, Immolation, Vastum, Jungle Rot and Asphyx. "

My regular listens too. I have tried but could never get into Gorguts, not even a little like you.

The thing with the new Behemoth is it's taking Marduk and going forward. It's making Marduk science Black Metal and adding melody, and super cool vocals.

I don't think it's the flavor of the week but will come into vogue maybe when your grandchildren start to get into metal many years from now. It is actually metal for a future time and does not even fit into today's market as such. IMO.Black Metal has never been trendy and has never been apart of this earth. It is it's own separate thing unto itself.

Some folks need Black Metal to be trendy and maybe will wear Dark Funeral T-Shirts to the mall. Those are not real fans but kids rebelling to society and their parents.

I wonder too, what Behemoths next album will be like and if they will continue to explore their new found sound?

Cheers...I always look appreciate your posts-and not just DM-last year your initial positive reaction to Sabbath and Dark Throne-encouraged me to pick those two releases-which I still listen to regularly. I really like Marduk. I started listening to them around the time Plague Angel came out. I put Mortuus up there with Martin Van Drunen in their respective BM/DM fields-meaning I just think they nail their styles and are a cut above the rest. My sense is Mortuus has motivated Marduk to continue as strong as they have been-not a bad release IMO since Plague Angel. His vocal style is so unique-he should win an Oscar for his vocal performance alone. I'm going to pick Behemoth up for sure.

On a totally separate note-for any Marduk fans-if you like Motuus-check out Funeral Mist....a little further off the beaten track-riskier and more creative I would say. They have two albums I know of-Salvation and Marantha-Marantha is a favorite of mine...pure evil genius in my book...uh, not for the faint of heart. If you have even a shred of Christian belief and play this, any crucifixes in your house will turn themselves upside down-this is a band that almost scares me....in the best possible way
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #13,284 of 29,660
Cheers...I always look appreciate your posts-and not just DM-last year your initial positive reaction to Sabbath and Dark Throne-encouraged me to pick those two releases-which I still listen to regularly. I really like Marduk. I started listening to them around the time Plague Angel came out. I put Mortuus up there with Martin Van Drunen in their respective BM/DM fields-meaning I just think they nail their styles and are a cut above the rest. My sense is Mortuus has motivated Marduk to continue as strong as they have been-not a bad release IMO since Plague Angel. His vocal style is so unique-he should win an Oscar for his vocal performance alone. I'm going to pick Behemoth up for sure.

On a totally separate note-for any Marduk fans-if you like Motuus-check out Funeral Mist....a little further off the beaten track-riskier and more creative I would say. They have two albums I know of-Salvation and Marantha-Marantha is a favorite of mine...pure evil genius in my book...uh, not for the faint of heart. If you have even a shred of Christian belief and play this, any crucifixes in your house will turn themselves upside down-this is a band that almost scares me....in the best possible way:evil:

I purchased two Funeral Mist CDs years ago. I think they are the first two albums, not the latest one. They are by far one of the most intense bands I have ever heard. I don't play em as much as I should. I'll have to look for em. I started listening to Marduk when Legion was doing vocals, but they did seem to improve in a way when Mortuus took over. It was kind of like Legion's vocals fit that era then Mortuus brought in another era. As much as Legion's voice was one dementional, Mortuus is multi-dementional in his singing. I can see how a lot of folks wouldn't even like the sound of Legion's voice, as it was hard to get used to in the beginning.

This year we may have some great releases I hope Judas Priest gets their new album out. We also have Vader's new album to look forward to. I listen to the Behemoth album everyday at least one time. It is very showy and theatrical in style. Bands like Funeral Mist have a different sound. An underground sound that gets by on pure hyper speed and evils aggression.IMO

When Burzum recorded the first record, he asked the studio for the worst microphone so they gave him a pair of headphones and that is how he recorded the vocals. He then asked for the worst guitar amp and they gave him a crapy little guitar amp. The sound he wanted was opposite from the high quality commercial sound. Black Metal was a response to the high quality commercial Death Metal coming out, so they created the necro sound. That's why Burzum CDs sound so thin, they were created to be thin.

So now you have high quality Black Metal recordings and in many ways the Behemoth is a glossy recording. It has a lot of tracks, multi-guitar tracks, synth tracks and highly processed drum sounds. It has choir washes and maybe even violins! I don't know? It sounds like a Black Metal musical. It's what George Martin would do if he made a Black Metal record.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #13,285 of 29,660
Not sure if someone already posted something from this glorious album :)

Black Metal with DR13!!!

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #13,286 of 29,660
Funny you mention that markm1, I spun maranatha just the other day. I never thought of them as that 'evil'....doesn't say much good about myself I guess

devil_face.gif

More than likely
very_evil_smiley.gif
 They're pretty twisted-let's say.

Maybe Redcarmoose had a better word-intense. And, I feel Marantha has better production, maybe more nuanced than Salvation which is-yeah-intense.

Likewise, I think of  Marduk as being pretty high on the heaviosity aggression scale. If someone asks me who's a really heavy over the top BM band, I think of Marduk....frothing at the mouth.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #13,289 of 29,660
Anyone that has Insomnium´s Above the weeping world on vinyl? The CD seems to be very compressed which is a shame as I love their songs. Is the vinyl an improvement?

Anyway, really excited about their next one which should be out soon :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #13,290 of 29,660
Wow Alex you weren't kidding about Terrestrials being anticlimactic

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back