Lets Talk Metal
Jun 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #14,851 of 29,701
Does anyone know what song this is? It's from the Sonic Sense Pro Audio demo.. the last song from it.

https://soundcloud.com/fuzziekiwi/whatmetal

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #14,852 of 29,701

My arsenal of discovery goes in basically this order:

• See if anything new popped up on Spotify's "Discover" page
  • Last.fm Recommendations
  • Spotify "similar artists"
  • Last.fm "similar artists"
  • Sputnik new reviews
  • RateYourMusic top lists for anything I haven't tried yet
  • Bandcamping

http://metalbandcamp.com/ is also a fantastic resources. They're not comprehensive, I mean they do what they can but there's not everything there, but there's also a bunch in the archives that I would have missed otherwise. http://abest.bandcamp.com/ is AMAZING.

I often wonder if we have older albums we haven't given a new chance to because our memories of them being good or bad are largely thanks to substandard headphones. I was definitely shocked by a couple I thought were noisy and ill produced where it turned out they just REALLY needed top-notch speakers. 

That's cool and pretty smart. I really heavily on last.fm, /mu/, metal kingdom and reviews

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #14,855 of 29,701
Spotify is top notch. I am a member, no complaints.

+1

Their smartphone app isn't bad either. Their library is fairly robust, and sound quality is good. It's $9 a month, but the amount of albums I listen to in full every month more than justifies that price.

New releases make it to Spotify fairly quickly as well.

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #14,857 of 29,701
Are you not a big Boris fan? Because this is how Boris sounds when they turn up the volume. Go back and check out Heavy Rocks and Pink. I'd even call this their best SINCE Pink. I mean this is what they DO. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #14,858 of 29,701
Are you not a big Boris fan? Because this is how Boris sounds when they turn up the volume. Go back and check out Heavy Rocks and Pink. I'd even call this their best SINCE Pink. I mean this is what they DO. 

I have all three CDs. This one sounds even worse to me, but perhaps I am getting too sensitive to INSANE levels of compression. This is really st00pid.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #14,859 of 29,701
I have all three CDs. This one sounds even worse to me, but perhaps I am getting too sensitive to INSANE levels of compression. This is really st00pid.

I think it's because the composition is a lot more layered. On an album like Pink where the guitar lines are just, y'know, a guitar, the ultra-compression and overdrive doesn't overwhelm, but Noise has a lot going on. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #14,860 of 29,701
I think it's because the composition is a lot more layered. On an album like Pink where the guitar lines are just, y'know, a guitar, the ultra-compression and overdrive doesn't overwhelm, but Noise has a lot going on. 

You nailed it.

When they compress down do like DR3 for their noise/drone records, yeah, I get it.

But this is RIDICULOUS.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #14,861 of 29,701
This is, Post Metal. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #14,863 of 29,701

I will just leave this here.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #14,864 of 29,701
  I've always thought of Satyricon as kinda... not that awesome. 

​
 ​
 ​
 ​

​
Dark Medieval Times
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
The Shadowthrone
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

​
Nemesis Divina

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
This​
 ​
Rebel
Extravaganza

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Volcano

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
This​
 ​
Now, Diabolical

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
This​
 ​
The Age of Nero

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
This
 ​
Satyricon
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #14,865 of 29,701

​
 ​
 ​
 ​

​
Dark Medieval Times
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
The Shadowthrone
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

​
Nemesis Divina

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
This​
 ​
Rebel
Extravaganza

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Volcano

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
This​
 ​
Now, Diabolical

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
This​
 ​
The Age of Nero

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
This
 ​
Satyricon
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Satyrcon is one of those bands for me that you have to be pretty selective. Some of it is great-but some of it kind of blows. Dark Medieval Times and Nemesis Divina are BM essentials for me. I love the folk BM sounds of DMT especially. Volcano is also pretty good IMO. After that-meh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back