Lets Talk Metal
May 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #9,676 of 29,701
True, but if the vinyl version has double the amount of dynamic range as is often the case, at the very least that's a clue that it's not a lazy CD transfer. To get deeper than that you just have to ask around. The Steve Hoffman forums can be a good resource, or just Google. And of course you can always check the Classic Wax section. :veryevil:

http://www.metal-fi.com/category/articles/classic-wax-articles/

I wish SH had a bigger Metal community. Most of it's either Grandpa Metal or not heavy enough. Most of the new stuff they like only goes to about Mastodon tier when we're talking heaviness.

Althogh there's a few Drone and Stoner Doom nerds over there.

May 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #9,677 of 29,701
I wish SH had a bigger Metal community. Most of it's either Grandpa Metal or not heavy enough. Most of the new stuff they like only goes to about Mastodon tier when we're talking heaviness.

Althogh there's a few Drone and Stoner Doom nerds over there.

If you think about it, its one of the reasons why Dave and I started MFi.

May 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #9,678 of 29,701
Aren't Judas Priest, Dio and Iron Maiden considered dadrock alongside Molly Hatchet and (radio-friendly) Rush?

May 16, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #9,679 of 29,701
Well, the new Immolation album "Kingdom Of Conspiracy" is out. Best Immolation album ever.

Super complex drumming, original guitar sound, perfect breaks and tempo changes. In the running for album of the year. A death Metal masterpiece.

May 16, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #9,680 of 29,701
Ok so I have a question here. I recently picked up Gojira's L'Enfant Sauvage because I liked how the music samples on Amazon sounded, but once I got the CD, I found that the recording quality was, uh....terrible. As in, compressed so bad it almost killed my enjoyment of the music.

Are there any other bands that sound similar to Gojira that have albums that actually sound good? L'Enfant Sauvage's recording quality sounds so bad that it seems like it'd be impossible to get something else that would sound worse.
tongue.gif

May 16, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #9,681 of 29,701
Quote:
Ok so I have a question here. I recently picked up Gojira's L'Enfant Sauvage because I liked how the music samples on Amazon sounded, but once I got the CD, I found that the recording quality was, uh....terrible. As in, compressed so bad it almost killed my enjoyment of the music.

Are there any other bands that sound similar to Gojira that have albums that actually sound good? L'Enfant Sauvage's recording quality sounds so bad that it seems like it'd be impossible to get something else that would sound worse.
tongue.gif

Oh, believe me it gets worse. Sauvage on CD is fairly run of the mill in terms of the mastering. Dynamic, well mastered metal on CD is pretty rare. I'm struggling to think of any recent Gojira style groove/death albums that aren't bricked to hell. If you're after good sound it's pretty much vinyl or nothing.

May 16, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #9,682 of 29,701
May 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #9,683 of 29,701
Quote:
Oh, believe me it gets worse. Sauvage on CD is fairly run of the mill in terms of the mastering. Dynamic, well mastered metal on CD is pretty rare. I'm struggling to think of any recent Gojira style groove/death albums that aren't bricked to hell. If you're after good sound it's pretty much vinyl or nothing.

I love Gojira, I do find their albums very fatiguing on headphones though, but bust out some decent speakers and groove away :p
bad solution, but I do find speakers a lot more forgiving than headphones. Mostly because I have fairly cheap speakers I expect.

May 16, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #9,684 of 29,701
Quote:
Well, the new Immolation album "Kingdom Of Conspiracy" is out. Best Immolation album ever.

Super complex drumming, original guitar sound, perfect breaks and tempo changes. In the running for album of the year. A death Metal masterpiece.

Good to hear. I really liked the last one!

May 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #9,685 of 29,701
Quote:
I love Gojira, I do find their albums very fatiguing on headphones though, but bust out some decent speakers and groove away :p
bad solution, but I do find speakers a lot more forgiving than headphones. Mostly because I have fairly cheap speakers I expect.

Sometimes I feel that way about all metal-somewhat fatiguing on HPs.....vs speakers...but sometimes you want that attention to detail.

May 16, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #9,686 of 29,701
Good to hear. I really liked the last one!

For some reason I loved it only after three full listens. It's really complex.:)

The entire album is now streaming at Terriorizer magazine .com.

May 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #9,687 of 29,701
I was listening to some Cryfemal(spanish DSBM) today on my shiny new Leckerton and kns6400s, was slightly shocked how much more dramatic and engaging the atmosphere had become. I already liked Perpetua Funebra Gloria but wow

May 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #9,688 of 29,701

Are there any other bands that sound similar to Gojira that have albums that actually sound good? L'Enfant Sauvage's recording quality sounds so bad that it seems like it'd be impossible to get something else that would sound worse. :p

I'll second the 'pretty much gotta get it on vinyl' sentiment. I have that album on vinyl and it's better, though still not terribly impressive. Which is a real shame consideing how good the album is.

The best SQ wise I've heard from Gojira is their 'The Flesh Alive' set. One of the better if not the best live Metal I've heard. I found a good deal on the BluRay combo. Unfortunately the Way of All Flesh album sufferred the same fate.

I have no other bands to offer because I honestly think Gojira are my favorite Metal out there. I can't think of anyone that matches them in the same category.

May 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #9,689 of 29,701
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. I have a $70 set of Creative speakers that I use with my computer, and every time I hear a bad sounding album it goes right to the speakers. Much easier to enjoy without having SQ on my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back