Lets Talk Metal
Oct 26, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #7,396 of 29,663
Quote:
I guess this isn't really metal as such, but I'm thinking the song will go down better here than in the electronic music thread:

http://youtu.be/tvSzG8AC7ok

There's a certain American vibe in here that I don't dig. Something about American industrial or cybergoth never felt right with me. Like they listened to a lot of Wumpscut, Hocico, Synapscape and Leatherstrip albums and thought "Hey brah this is awesome!" but never actually got it. German power electronics on the other hand... 

EDIT: Oh I lied: America rules.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #7,398 of 29,663
Quote:

There's a certain American vibe in here that I don't dig. Something about American industrial or cybergoth never felt right with me. Like they listened to a lot of Wumpscut, Hocico, Synapscape and Leatherstrip albums and thought "Hey brah this is awesome!" but never actually got it. German power electronics on the other hand...

For the most part I tend to agree. Most of the time I prefer European ebm/industrial. On the whole I don't think Psyclon Nine is particularly awesome.. but If it weren't for the singer's heroin addiction they might have ventured further into ebm/industrial/metal crossover territory and that would've been interesting.
The Converter song you posted is pretty good, even if power electronics isn't usually my thing :)

On the metal side of things I revisited a powerish prog metal album I listened to when I was younger:

http://youtu.be/wphisPMuB0I

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #7,399 of 29,663
Did someone say German experimental noise?  Cause I think I heard German experimental noise...

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #7,400 of 29,663
cool stuff, here's some more "traditionally metal" noise...or at least pure noise without beats.  i couldn't find a good youtube recording...in fact the cd's i have aren't very well recorded either LOL i guess "noise" isn't about the recording quality.  there are a few good noise albums, although i wouldn't say i listen to it often there are times when nothing but noise will do!  i like to separate noise from drone, as i'm a massive drone listener (sunn0))), nadja, etc.)

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #7,401 of 29,663

Ok, I'll join this..................

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #7,402 of 29,663

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #7,403 of 29,663
Quote:

THE END?  Of what?  Progmetal, good lord I hope so.

Opinions vary. I dig some good progressive. That NY Slam Death you posted... Holy hell, man. I think that music is best suited for deaf people.

I'm done with this argument giving no considerable rate of return. I had a little burst of energy left for it, but now it's gone.

Back to some tunes.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #7,404 of 29,663
^ Revocation is great.

It's not that I dislike certain (sub)genres, but everything that sounds like it was recorded on a 20 year old compact cassette sucks.
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #7,405 of 29,663
people in this thread.

So is it safe to assume if you don't like music that "sounds like it was recorded on a 20 year old compact cassette" then you don't care for early south american thrash?  That's a shame.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #7,407 of 29,663
Anyone heard of Haiku Funeral? I'm really liking the sound of these guys, might have to get the album.

http://www.myspace.com/haikufuneral

I'll describe it as "blackened psychedelic doom metal". 
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #7,408 of 29,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So is it safe to assume if you don't like music that "sounds like it was recorded on a 20 year old compact cassette" then you don't care for early south american thrash?  That's a shame.

No, especially not if it has hardcore punk elements in it and sounds like it was recorded on a 20 year old compact cassette.
wink.gif

I also prefer music with lyrics that I understand and that are not about the sky daddy's adversary or other ridiculous beliefs.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #7,409 of 29,663
Quote:
people in this thread.

I'm glad you took the time to find that cute little pic on the internet... shows some incentive. Since we've shifted gears... I think you're forgetting that we're on a High-Fidelity website, so I don't know why you're surprised that there's a couple people in here that aren't too crazy about recordings that sound like utter ****. Now, I'm strictly talking about that Slam Death video you posted. Dorsal Atlantica wasn't bad. I like to be able to tell that they're playing instruments and it's not a recording of some tin-foil in a microwave.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #7,410 of 29,663
Quote:
A little op-ed on the Mastered for iTunes initiative....
Meet The New Hifi Battleground
Curious if folks are even aware of this phenomenon?

It's good that Apple is taking some initiative to better quality, but it does appear as if they're planning to cross the line into artistic creativity. Hopefully some middle-ground can be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back