Lets Talk Metal
Oct 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #7,141 of 29,662
That's pretty awesome. Y'all should try posting that on Metal-Archives. Headbangers out the ass over there who might be interested. 

That's a really good suggestion! I think we started here because I have always felt we have a tight nit bunch keeping this thread alive. I think once we have some more, we might just do that...

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #7,142 of 29,662
Quote:

Im sure you guys are already planning on doing so, but my first recommendation would be to make sure you do reviews of every metal/hard rock release that HDTracks releases to let people know if they are worth it over the CD version, different less brickwalled masters etcetera. So we know whether its worth the extra cash to grab the hi res version.

We're going to do every high-res release that we can. It's really irritating that HDTracks doesn't list the source of their editions (some are SACD conversions, some are PCM pulled from DVD-A releases, some are done specifically for HDTracks, etc). Quality is all over the map. We'll do our best to let people know what's worth getting. We're also going to be covering as much metal on vinyl as we can get to, and if somebody tries to pull a fast one and cuts their vinyl from a redbook master, we'll slam 'em.

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #7,143 of 29,662
We're going to do every high-res release that we can. It's really irritating that HDTracks doesn't list the source of their editions (some are SACD conversions, some are PCM pulled from DVD-A releases, some are done specifically for HDTracks, etc). Quality is all over the map. We'll do our best to let people know what's worth getting. We're also going to be covering as much metal on vinyl as we can get to, and if somebody tries to pull a fast one and cuts their vinyl from a redbook master, we'll slam 'em.

To add to this, here is the list of metal releases on HDTracks.

Lame...

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #7,144 of 29,662
Quote:

Exactly my point, so having a source to see which ones are worth getting would be nice. Like Ive heard that Thirteen is worth getting from HDTracks...or the new Muse album in Hi Res is actually a ton better than the redbook version....but its hard to know unless someone tells you or you pay for it.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #7,145 of 29,662
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly my point, so having a source to see which ones are worth getting would be nice. Like Ive heard that Thirteen is worth getting from HDTracks...or the new Muse album in Hi Res is actually a ton better than the redbook version....but its hard to know unless someone tells you or you pay for it.

I did a software mix down from Jens Bogren's 2008 5.1 DVD of the Still Life rerelease by Opeth.  I thought it sounded better in comparison to the remastered CD. You can almost forget trying to get the original Still Life vinyl pressing from back in the day. On Ebay I would guess they are close to $200.00, but that could very well be THE definitive release of the Opeth LP? As far as I know it's one of the few Opeths not ever rereleased out on wax after the album first came out? Funny as many love it as being the best Opeth record.

Orchid by Opeth is definitely the best on vinyl even though Back On Black making the rerelease is known for using digital masters to cut their wax by. Here also adds to the confusion as it ends up being that every album is an enigma unto itself. 

I now have Metallica's Black Album in HD, from HD tracks. I have not done any comparisons to the 5.1 DVD audio from 2001 but it definitely sounds better than the CD. Personally I think Metallica's Black Album sounds best on vinyl. Every digital copy seems to have a crappy sound-stage in comparison to vinyl. The greatest thing about The Black Album is the sound-stage and the sound. IMO

There truly is a bunch of confusion as you always wonder where the HD started from. It seems to come from all over the place. They get any source they can in 24/96 then do a two channel mix down. We may though be seeing the total demise of DVD audio, which never flew anyway, and the future standard of common 24/96 files. Eventually maybe there will be no DVD audio tracks mixed down and everything will just be 2 channel 24/96 HD. They still it seems need to get standardized on a bit-rate too! lol

Maybe it will never end. Some stuff is totally amazing like Fragile recorded in 1971 by Yes. It sounds fantastic, though I have never compared it to Steve Hoffmans 2006 180 gram vinyl rerelease of the album.

Rush now has a bunch of 24/96 files put out, as it seems to help bring the sound quality up a notch being their catalog of past recordings sound so dull to begin with. Still these Rush albums even in 24/96 have a hard time competing with today's recordings. It is just a better way to listen to em as even there original vinyl pressings are not the best in sound quality.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #7,146 of 29,662
Quote:
That's a really good suggestion! I think we started here because I have always felt we have a tight nit bunch keeping this thread alive. I think once we have some more, we might just do that...

For sure. The site looks really well done and user-friendly, so I can't see many people complaining unless they're pikers.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #7,147 of 29,662
Quote:
I did a software mix down from Jens Bogren's 2008 5.1 DVD of the Still Life rerelease by Opeth.  I thought it sounded better in comparison to the remastered CD. You can almost forget trying to get the original Still Life vinyl pressing from back in the day. On Ebay I would guess they are close to $200.00, but that could very well be THE definitive release of the Opeth LP? As far as I know it's one of the few Opeths not ever rereleased out on wax after the album first came out? Funny as many love it as being the best Opeth record.

Orchid by Opeth is definitely the best on vinyl even though Back On Black making the rerelease is known for using digital masters to cut their wax by. Here also adds to the confusion as it ends up being that every album is an enigma unto itself.

Still Life is a freakin mess, which is really a shame because it's such a good album. The original CD is ok, not great, and has channel drop outs. I'm not sure how good the first press vinyl sounds, but it has the same drop outs. The CD remaster sounds like garbage. Peaceville re-issued the album on vinyl first in 2010 as a deluxe limited edition, and again this year as a standard edition. The 2012 issue is reasonably priced (for vinyl). I haven't heard it, but from the comments I've seen people seem to be happy with the sound, unlike the terrible MOV and BOB re-issues. The catalog number is the same as the original, so it may just be the original vinyl master re-issued. Probably something I should grab....

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #7,148 of 29,662
Quote:

Still Life is a freakin mess, which is really a shame because it's such a good album. The original CD is ok, not great, and has channel drop outs. I'm not sure how good the first press vinyl sounds, but it has the same drop outs. The CD remaster sounds like garbage. Peaceville re-issued the album on vinyl first in 2010 as a deluxe limited edition, and again this year as a standard edition. The 2012 issue is reasonably priced (for vinyl). I haven't heard it, but from the comments I've seen people seem to be happy with the sound, unlike the terrible MOV and BOB re-issues. The catalog number is the same as the original, so it may just be the original vinyl master re-issued. Probably something I should grab....

Thanks so much for the info. It inspires me to listen to Still Life today. As metal heads we really have put up with a lot in bad sound quality over the years.

As far as Black Metal goes, some of the classics of the genre are all basically Lo/Fi. I am always reminded when I play any early Burzum record or issue of early[size=small] Emperor on wax![/size]

It is almost an oxymoron to try and get a remaster of any Darkthrone stuff. But still I like the sound of it. Even in between the production values of every Darkthone release moving forward from the first ( and I have them all on original CD or wax ), there is a difference in sound. Maybe their last couple of efforts have reached the level they started out looking for where the sound is dirty and cool. Still no amount of remastering is going to give us Audiophile Darkthrone. We may not even like Audiophile Darkthrone. It's the misty haze that gives us the feeling and mood of underground Black Metal. Even now in Black Metal's 4th wave we are now seeing a cornucopia of recording styles where even if they had all the gear to make it clear, they chose to make the sound raw.

The site could also help people understand which release is best. We have all seen our share of the originals sounding better than the so called improved issue they hoped to sell us again.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #7,149 of 29,662
If you need some old ding dong to wax on about how much better old bands are than new ones let me know....  Also, I know members of some larger current metal bands, I miiiiiiight be able to hook you up with interviews if interested.  Lastly I'll be attending MDF this year (hence my posting of line ups), if you are interested in anything regarding that let me know.  

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #7,150 of 29,662
So does anyone know how Autotheism compares between CD and vinyl? I really didn't like the album at first but its really grown on me over time.  Anyone have both the CD and vinyl and can tell me if the vinyl sounds any better(different) than the CD release?

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #7,151 of 29,662
So i finally got around to checking out the new Autumn for Crippled Children album, i found it on youtube. and this is some black metal/doom metal i can get behind loving it so far.

that guy uploaded the whole album track by track...the whole album vid i found had significantly worse SQ

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #7,153 of 29,662
Quote:
Lastly I'll be attending MDF this year (hence my posting of line ups), if you are interested in anything regarding that let me know.  

Gig report! MDF and/or Wacken is one of my bucket list of things to do in the next 5 years or so. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
It is almost an oxymoron to try and get a remaster of any Darkthrone stuff. But still I like the sound of it. Even in between the production values of every Darkthone release moving forward from the first ( and I have them all on original CD or wax ), there is a difference in sound. Maybe their last couple of efforts have reached the level they started out looking for where the sound is dirty and cool. Still no amount of remastering is going to give us Audiophile Darkthrone. We may not even like Audiophile Darkthrone. It's the misty haze that gives us the feeling and mood of underground Black Metal. Even now in Black Metal's 4th wave we are now seeing a cornucopia of recording styles where even if they had all the gear to make it clear, they chose to make the sound raw.

Word. Remastering early Emperor and Darkthrone would totally ruin it, the shoddy production values are integral to the grim atmosphere that the artists intended. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #7,154 of 29,662
Quote:
So does anyone know how Autotheism compares between CD and vinyl? I really didn't like the album at first but its really grown on me over time.  Anyone have both the CD and vinyl and can tell me if the vinyl sounds any better(different) than the CD release?

Good question. Back on Black vinyl pressings are usually sketchy in terms of sourcing and production, and are best avoided unless it can be verified that they used a HR master and did a decent job. Same goes usually for Music on Vinyl. It seems like Sumerian did the limited colored vinyl issues for Planetary and Autotheism themselves, (no one else is credited for them as far as I can tell) so my guess is that they are the real thing. You might as well just grab a copy of the vinyl while it's still $26.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #7,155 of 29,662
From the Maryland Deathfest Facebook page:

Quote:
The final confirmed bands for MDF XI are below! 
With the exception of one more band that we're expecting to confirm for Soundstage in the next week or so, this is it, folks.

DOWN
(the) MELVINS
THE OBSESSED
ASCENSION (Germany) - Exclusive US appearance!
UFOMAMMUT (Italy)
COBALT
DEIPHAGO (Philippines/Costa Rica) 
EVOKEN
NECROPSY

Confirmed for Baltimore Soundstage (no barricade shows!):

CITIZENS ARREST
CONVERGE
DISCIPLES OF CHRIST
EDDIE BROCK
FEASTEM (Finland)
FULL OF HELL
HEARTLESS
HELLSHOCK
ILSA
INFEST - Exclusive east coast appearance!
IRON LUNG
KROMOSOM (Australia)
LIKE RATS
MAGRUDERGRIND
OLD LINES
ROTTEN SOUND (Finland)
SETE STAR SEPT (Japan)
TINNER (Finland)
VITAMIN X (Netherlands)
WAKE
WEEKEND NACHOS

Full list of confirmed bands:

@ Former Sonar compound:

!T.O.O.H.! (Czech Republic)
ABIGAIL (Japan)
AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)
AMBASSADOR GUN
ANHEDONIST
ANTAEUS (France)
AOSOTH (France)
ASCENSION (Germany)
ASTHMA CASTLE
BENEDICTION (UK)
BOLT THROWER (UK)
BROKEN HOPE
CARCASS (UK)
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway)
COBALT
CONVULSE (Finland)
CRUCIAMENTUM (UK)
DEIPHAGO (Philippines/Costa Rica)
DOWN
EVOKEN
EXODUS
GLORIOR BELLI (France)
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
IHSAHN (Norway)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)
INIQUITY (Denmark)
INTEGRITY
KOMMANDANT
LOSS
MANILLA ROAD
(the) MELVINS
MIDNIGHT
MORGION
NECROPSY
THE OBSESSED 
PAGAN ALTAR (UK)
PELICAN
PENTAGRAM
PIG DESTROYER
REPULSION
REVENGE (Canada)
RIGHTEOUS PIGS
SLEEP
SPEEDWOLF
UFOMAMMUT (Italy)
VENOM (UK)
VINTERLAND (Sweden)
WEEDEATER

@ Baltimore Soundstage:

CITIZENS ARREST
CONVERGE
DISCIPLES OF CHRIST
EDDIE BROCK
FEASTEM (Finland)
FULL OF HELL
HEARTLESS
HELLSHOCK
ILSA
INFEST 
IRON LUNG
KROMOSOM (Australia)
LIKE RATS
MAGRUDERGRIND
OLD LINES
ROTTEN SOUND (Finland)
SETE STAR SEPT (Japan)
TINNER (Finland)
VITAMIN X (Netherlands)
WAKE
WEEKEND NACHOS

Awesome stuff, Deiphago is on the bill! Proud of my fellow countrymen, I think this is the first time a band from our shores became part of a event lineup with MDF's magnitude. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back