Lets Talk Metal
Jan 3, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #25,786 of 29,660
AMG has released his top 10:

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/angry-metal-guys-top-10ish-records-o-2016/

Heard all of them except #1, King Goat. Looking forward to listening to that album at work today. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #25,787 of 29,660
Don't know if this was posted.
For fans of classic NWOBHM sound, give a spin to the 2016 Diamond Head selftitled album.
Very good sounding album. Talented new vocalist, reminds me a bit of Dio.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/diamond-head-to-release-new-self-titled-album-in-march/

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #25,788 of 29,660
AMG has released his top 10:

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/angry-metal-guys-top-10ish-records-o-2016/

Heard all of them except #1, King Goat. Looking forward to listening to that album at work today. 

Nice to see AMG put Fleshgod Apocalypse's King near the top!

Cool to see him enjoy Mistur as the album was on many a top ten list. Still I'm surprised how many people like Ishahn's Arktis. The album as recorded well, but to me didn't have a great flow nor had the same quality as early efforts. I have all the respect in the world for the guy but Arktis seemed like a stretch just to stretch?

I'm putting a top ten list of albums from 2016 that I still need to listen to more. Mainly the list is copied from other top ten lists and reminded me just how prolific and grand a couple Black Metal albums were from last year.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #25,789 of 29,660
Nice to see AMG put Fleshgod Apocalypse's King near the top!

Cool to see him enjoy Mistur as the album was on many a top ten list. Still I'm surprised how many people like Ishahn's Arktis. The album as recorded well, but to me didn't have a great flow nor had the same quality as early efforts. I have all the respect in the world for the guy but Arktis seemed like a stretch just to stretch?

I'm putting a top ten list of albums from 2016 that I still need to listen to more. Mainly the list is copied from other top ten lists and reminded me just how prolific and grand a couple Black Metal albums were from last year.

Yeah King was a great album. Saw them live when they were touring with Epica, wisht hey were headlining though, sound wasn't the greatest. 

So listened to the King goat album all day today, quite good, very black sabbath-ish. The vocal is unbelievably good, he does all kinds of styles, excellent death growls here and there too. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #25,790 of 29,660
markm1

This guy. This guy knows what he's doing! I'm still wading through all of the entries, I've already found several I would have overlooked and would have really missing out. Not counting ones I already had in rotation (Khemmis, Kvelertak, Summerlands, Ihsahn among others), Oatbreaker, Worms of Ourborous, Murg, and Martyrdod are all now in permanent rotation. But the show stopper is the Astronoid album. Blown. Away. Instantly took over the #1 spot on my list. This is not how I usually like my BM (happy? positive?), but it just hits all the right notes (pun intended).

So my revised top 10 looks like this:

Clear #1 - Astronoid - Air: see praise above

2-10 in random order
Blood Incantation- Starspawn: another band that just hits all the right notes. More please.
Martyrdod- List: this is how I like my BM. Crusty, punky, production that I can tolerate.
Unfathomable Ruination - Finitude: assume the spot occupied by Cattle Decapitation last year.
Anaal Nathrakh - The Whole of the Law: the house band for Armageddon in fine form
Cult of Luna - Mariner: easily #2. 3 at the least
Nails - You will never be one of us: took a few spins as I'd never heard them before, but I'm glad it won't be the last from them
Be'lakor - Vessels: melodeath done right. I haven't had any time with the new Dark Tranquility which may displace this entry
Kvelertak - Nattesferd: juicy, juicy riffs
Summerlands - s/t: juicier riffs

Others in the mix:
Khemmis
Anciients
Abbath
Ihsahn
Dark Tranquility
Ghoulgotha
Vredehammer
Source
Murg

I'm sure that I'll have a few more revisions before I'm done. Man I love this time of year!

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #25,791 of 29,660
That Ghoulgahta album is really cool. I thought about throwing it in there, but there was just too much competition. A lot of years we'll see maybe 10-15 or so that are really good. This year,  I stopped at 30-great gods with some very good albums on the chopping block-30?! That's a lot of albums. And, then there were several-Blood Incantation, Aclest, Departe, Vektor, Messa that got bumped into my honorable mentions. I mean, these are really, really good albums. Just so many. Imagine if you could only recommend 5 metal albums in 2016. How in Hades would you make your cut?. Sophie's choice 
blink.gif

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #25,794 of 29,660
markm1 Agreed. There were just so many incredible releases this year I haven't been able to listen to many of them more than once or twice. I tried to concentrate on my favorite sub genres (OSDM, BM, Tech DM) and missed a lot of great albums in others. 2016 was truly a banner year for metal like I've never seen.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #25,796 of 29,660
Just a reminder to be sure to check out black/death metal one-man band Convulsing's superb debut album Errata.

Here's the link again. Name your price!

https://convulsing.bandcamp.com/album/errata

...So I finally got most of that inheritance I mentioned in the past. I could buy nearly any headphone on the planet now...but I'm going to try to resist the temptation and reinvest some of it first.

Nnnnope... You know, just forget I ever said I know Prog Metal. Ask me anything about Dream Theater, but minus a few other bands I've just realized I'm not nearly as knowing about the genre as I claimed to be a few pages ago.
redface.gif

In that case, play this NAO!

What an impressive write-up!
beerchug.gif

Speaking of Mahler, I performed some of his material in one of the orchestras I was in as a teenager. (Come to think of it, it could have been in other orchestras, wind ensembles and such as well...can't remember.)

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #25,797 of 29,660
Just a reminder to be sure to check out black/death metal one-man band Convulsing's superb debut album Errata.

Here's the link again. Name your price!

https://convulsing.bandcamp.com/album/errata

...So I finally got most of that inheritance I mentioned in the past. I could buy nearly any headphone on the planet now...but I'm going to try to resist the temptation and reinvest some of it first.

What an impressive write-up! :beerchug:

Speaking of Mahler, I performed some of his material in one of the orchestras I was in as a teenager. (Come to think of it, it could have been in other orchestras, wind ensembles and such as well...can't remember.)

Ahem ........

Well you have to buy some audio equipment? Yes? What will you get?

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #25,798 of 29,660

A two-song album with a 30-minute and short-of-30-minute song? Now where have I seen that before? :p

First song done. Pretty promising so far, although I must admit I don't see the point of splitting this album up. The first song alone had so many different sections, you might as well split that one up into many individual 3-minute bits.

Also, wow, you were in an orchestra?

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #25,799 of 29,660

A two-song album with a 30-minute and short-of-30-minute song? Now where have I seen that before? :p

First song done. Pretty promising so far, although I must admit I don't see the point of splitting this album up. The first song alone had so many different sections, you might as well split that one up into many individual 3-minute bits.

Also, wow, you were in an orchestra?

It's actually a one-song album, made quite a buzz releasing a 60 minute song back in 2001. The acoustic verses album is quite awesome too, with the accompanying a night under the dam live concert. Brilliant group of musicians. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #25,800 of 29,660
  It's actually a one-song album, made quite a buzz releasing a 60 minute song back in 2001. The acoustic verses album is quite awesome too, with the accompanying a night under the dam live concert. Brilliant group of musicians. 

Both facts weren't clear to me. It certainly plays as a one-song album, that's for sure. Again though, no idea why you'd split it in half then. Easier to digest I guess? As for the release date, blame Bandcamp for saying it was a 2006 release. I should check my claims before hitting the submit button.. Though it's sad to see that for ten years they've been practically silent in terms of releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back