Lets Talk Metal
Dec 25, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #25,711 of 29,701
So which metal album of 2016 gave you the most emotional experience?

Difficult question to answer, depending on what one describes as emotional. If you mean emotional in the sense of "most emotionally fun album" it would easily be Heroes of Mighty Magic by Twilight Force. Cheesy power metal to the max and the album itself couldn't quite live up to the hype, but it's still an amazing party metal album.

If you go for "most anticipated album" we can probably answer that Metallica's Hardwired at the very least scraped that rank. Eight years without an album, so naturally the hype is out of this world. Still a solid piece in its own regard.

For "most emotionally touching" album I cannot really make a call because to be touching at all it needs to either be a ballad or an atmospheric black metal album, both of which are things I gracefully touch at best.

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #25,712 of 29,701
Difficult question to answer, depending on what one describes as emotional. If you mean emotional in the sense of "most emotionally fun album" it would easily be Heroes of Mighty Magic by Twilight Force. Cheesy power metal to the max and the album itself couldn't quite live up to the hype, but it's still an amazing party metal album.

If you go for "most anticipated album" we can probably answer that Metallica's Hardwired at the very least scraped that rank. Eight years without an album, so naturally the hype is out of this world. Still a solid piece in its own regard.

For "most emotionally touching" album I cannot really make a call because to be touching at all it needs to either be a ballad or an atmospheric black metal album, both of which are things I gracefully touch at best.

I meant listening to the music made you feel the strongest emotions, regardless of which emotions they are.

"Touching" is a subjective term that can apply to any type of music that affects you emotionally. (Though generally, "touching" in particular does refer to more delicate emotions that aren't as common in metal.)

And welcome to the thread!
beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #25,713 of 29,701
I meant listening to the music made you feel the strongest emotions, regardless of which emotions they are.

"Touching" is a subjective term that can apply to any type of music that affects you emotionally. (Though generally, "touching" in particular does refer to more delicate emotions that aren't as common in metal.)

And welcome to the thread! :beerchug:

You're an emotional dude. I just like to rock, no sappy emotional nonsense here:wink:

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #25,714 of 29,701
You're an emotional dude. I just like to rock, no sappy emotional nonsense here:wink:

Anger and hate are not "sappy emotional nonsense"...nor are other genuine emotions like anguish and joy. Without emotion, life becomes meaningless. Heck, we wouldn't even be human without emotion! The main reason I listen to music is how it makes me feel. I think that applies to most people. Even when simply rocking out, you are experiencing emotion. (We're not unfeeling robots programmed to rock out.) But I don't understand the concept of listening to music just to rock out. Music is a far more deep, intense experience for me.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #25,715 of 29,701

And welcome to the thread! :beerchug:

My first interpretation to the word emotion is indeed stuff like touching, sad, thoughtful, goosebumpy. And for that I'd say the only METAL genre to even come close to that is Atmospheric Black Metal, because that's its intention.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #25,716 of 29,701
My first interpretation to the word emotion is indeed stuff like touching, sad, thoughtful, goosebumpy. And for that I'd say the only METAL genre to even come close to that is Atmospheric Black Metal, because that's its intention.

See my post above. Most metal is angry (or at least aggressive), and anger is an emotion.

Also, plenty of other metal genres (including gothic and progressive) can be like what you described.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #25,717 of 29,701
I am glad you guys are so in touch with your emotions:wink: (notice the winky face, sarcasm is being used here)

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #25,721 of 29,701
Even they experience emotion, albeit to a lesser extent. But I don't see how this is relevant unless you are claiming to be one.

Aren't all metalheads somewhat "off" mentally? I sure am, just can't figure out how (I mean aside from my lack of emotions)

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #25,722 of 29,701
Aren't all metalheads somewhat "off" mentally? I sure am, just can't figure out how (I mean aside from my lack of emotions)

I agree that we metalheads tend to be more "messed up" than most. (Also a lot more intelligent than average.)

But are you really saying you don't feel any emotions at all, ever? No happiness, sadness, anger, nothing?

Dec 25, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #25,723 of 29,701
Whoa, this is all going way over what I was originally talking about. To me the word "emotional" makes me primarily think about about deep, melancholic stuff. Just the word. That didn't mean I'm suddenly a sociopath who doesn't feel anything.

Dec 25, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #25,724 of 29,701
I agree that we metalheads tend to be more "messed up" than most. (Also a lot more intelligent than average.)

But are you really saying you don't feel any emotions at all, ever? No happiness, sadness, anger, nothing?

Oh I have emotions for sure. I just don't dwell on them too much. Imo our culture has become overly introspective, to the point of narcissism, regarding emotions.

Dec 25, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #25,725 of 29,701
Oh, good gawd, guys. Let's not argue over whether we feel (or don't feel) emotions. Or whether or not we're sociopaths. How stereotypical can we get?

Personally, I find that most of the metal I listen to is very calming. Almost meditative. Certainly doesn't measure me feel angry or aggressive. Same with the more experimental / extreme electronic music I listen to (like Pan Sonic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back