Lets Talk Metal
Oct 14, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #20,986 of 29,695

I believe I have said it here before but I’ll say it again: In my books Valonielu is the best record made in the 2010s. Such a singular vision and unique sound, culminating in the inexpressable glory, beauty and cosmic relase of Ympyra On Viiva Tomussa.  

Actually, I’ve spent countless hours trying to find something similarly awe-inducing, but to no avail. Any suggestions from you guys would be highly appreciated, basically within the following parameters:

- Various inventive permutations of black / doom / drone / krautrock / heavy psych / post-whatever are highly welcome, preferably grounded in black or doom to ensure it has the requisite ooomph, drive and other key qualities of metal.
- Should be extremely psychedelic, something multi-layered and spiralling which ends up piercing the veil into parallel realities or outer space.
- At the same time, should not be too navel-gazing, pointlessly meandering or have a lazy stoner vibe.
- Neither should it be conventional metal with an odd bleep here or there to beef up the ‘atmosphere’. In other words, should have energy, aggression and

I’m already familiar with and extremely fond of Inquisition, Mare Cognitum, Domovoyd, Ufomammut, Below the Sun, Dark Buddha Rising, Atomikyla (a joint venture by Oranssi Pazuzu and Dark Buddha Rising, for those who are interested), Darkspace, The Atlas Moth, Monolord, The Wisdoom, Nadja and the likes, which hit some / all of the above criteria and are overall awesome in every regard, but still lack that 'something' that Oranssi Pazuzu (and Valonielu especially) have in spades.

Metal Archives isn’t of much help by way of suggesting similar artists. Hail Spirit Noir is awesome but a bit too retro prog to fit the above criteria. So far not sold on A Forest of Stars (too steampunk convention-like).

Sunn 0))), "Black One", comes to mind...

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #20,987 of 29,695

I believe I have said it here before but I’ll say it again: In my books Valonielu is the best record made in the 2010s. Such a singular vision and unique sound, culminating in the inexpressable glory, beauty and cosmic relase of Ympyra On Viiva Tomussa.  

Actually, I’ve spent countless hours trying to find something similarly awe-inducing, but to no avail. Any suggestions from you guys would be highly appreciated, basically within the following parameters:

- Various inventive permutations of black / doom / drone / krautrock / heavy psych / post-whatever are highly welcome, preferably grounded in black or doom to ensure it has the requisite ooomph, drive and other key qualities of metal.
- Should be extremely psychedelic, something multi-layered and spiralling which ends up piercing the veil into parallel realities or outer space.
- At the same time, should not be too navel-gazing, pointlessly meandering or have a lazy stoner vibe.
- Neither should it be conventional metal with an odd bleep here or there to beef up the ‘atmosphere’. In other words, should have energy, aggression and

I’m already familiar with and extremely fond of Inquisition, Mare Cognitum, Domovoyd, Ufomammut, Below the Sun, Dark Buddha Rising, Atomikyla (a joint venture by Oranssi Pazuzu and Dark Buddha Rising, for those who are interested), Darkspace, The Atlas Moth, Monolord, The Wisdoom, Nadja and the likes, which hit some / all of the above criteria and are overall awesome in every regard, but still lack that 'something' that Oranssi Pazuzu (and Valonielu especially) have in spades.

Metal Archives isn’t of much help by way of suggesting similar artists. Hail Spirit Noir is awesome but a bit too retro prog to fit the above criteria. So far not sold on A Forest of Stars (too steampunk convention-like).

And I just can't really get into this album.
It's a nice listen and pretty unique but....that's about it for me.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #20,988 of 29,695

There was this French experimental BM band who recorded their 2013 album on an island in Indonesia. They were also simple but whole hearted proponents of the islands ancient religion and it influenced the recording. The cover had two mountains shot with a telephoto lens and had fog blowing in-between. That album is maybe something that fits your question. Sorry can't think of the name of the band or album title? Not really my style. Maybe some one here with close ties to French Experamental can chime in with the band's name? I'll look?

Something like AUM or something?

EDIT:

It was a 2012 release.

I think this is what you want?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1g4xd7gTM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C94AcGAMXb4

http://www.bestblackmetalalbums.com/aluk_todolo_occult_rock.php?smode=m

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #20,989 of 29,695

Bloodred Hourglass

Where The Oceans Burn
8-10 on a 1-10 scale

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #20,990 of 29,695
Keep the reviews coming, love reading them. Your review made me pick up the new Ouroboros, liked their first release, absolutely loving the second one. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #20,991 of 29,695
Keep the reviews coming, love reading them. Your review made me pick up the new Ouroboros, liked their first release, absolutely loving the second one. 

I still have to hear the first Ouroboros album. But I post my reviews too fast, then having new opinions, just learning this. THX Though! :smiley: It's fun!

At times we hear bands but are not familiar with their influences. If I had not spent years drooling over the Opeth catalogue, I would maybe put Ouroboros much higher. I guess everyone has always borrowed from everyone? Sabbath was so cool in the day because we didn't know the jazz records they were listening to.

I would love to reach the attitude where I could say "Ya Ouroboros can play a guitar style like Opeth? Cool!"

Still for a place like Head-Fi, Ouroboros is like audiophile metal on headphones, much actually like Opeth is and was audiophile metal, coincidencely.

Glad you like it!

I really liked the album and only rated it lower because of the influences were so apparent. Still it may be one of those records where if you listen to it 50 times you start to care less who the influences are?

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #20,992 of 29,695
There was this French experimental BM band who recorded their 2013 album on an island in Indonesia. They were also simple but whole hearted proponents of the islands ancient religion and it influenced the recording. The cover had two mountains shot with a telephoto lens and had fog blowing in-between. That album is maybe something that fits your question. Sorry can't think of the name of the band or album title? Not really my style. Maybe some one here with close ties to French Experamental can chime in with the band's name? I'll look?

Something like AUM or something?

EDIT:

It was a 2012 release.

I think this is what you want?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1g4xd7gTM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C94AcGAMXb4

http://www.bestblackmetalalbums.com/aluk_todolo_occult_rock.php?smode=m

Many thanks, also for the backstory. I was just listening to it last week, actually. Very nice stuff and it does meet my criteria. They made an interesting collaboration with Der Blutharsch and the Infinite Church of the Leading Hand, with nice krautrock (was it you or someone else who recently wrote about krautrock?) elements: https://derblutharsch.bandcamp.com/album/a-collaboration

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #20,993 of 29,695
Many thanks, also for the backstory. I was just listening to it last week, actually. Very nice stuff and it does meet my criteria. They made an interesting collaboration with Der Blutharsch and the Infinite Church of the Leading Hand, with nice krautrock (was it you or someone else who recently wrote about krautrock?) elements: https://derblutharsch.bandcamp.com/album/a-collaboration

Wrathzombie and I talk about Krautrock from time to time. Glad you know about that band. I saw they have a long history of LPs?

There was also this Russian BM band that we talked about here as being the most psychotic and weird. I can see the cover in my mind, still again forgot the name, I may look for it.

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #20,994 of 29,695

All Hell
The Red Sect
https://m.soundcloud.com/allhellband/sets/the-red-sect/s-9RAeV

Genre: Black-Thrash

Rated 6 out of 10 on a 1 to 10 scale. I have no reason why? That's it's score? After two weeks the score may go up, maybe down?

From Asheville North Carolina formed in 2013. The three members Erik Ballantyne, Jacob Curwen and Kurt Henderson make up All Hell. Mixed and mastered by Joel Grind of Toxic Holocaust. We have a comfortable sound that despite the mid-era Darkthrone worshipping, it sounds like a big worn out frumpy sofa. I listen mostly to a lot of highly produced technical recording nowadays. Still there was a time when I spent my lunch money on Peaceville-era and Moonfog-era Darkthrone CDs, the early-mid 2000s remastered ones. I personally think these "All Hell" folk are a little more accessible than Darkthrone? Maybe it's the Thrash part?

Any audiophile who started buying Darkthrone CDs was on self exploration. I remember opening them up in my car and playing them to actually check out the sound quality. It was like buying whiskey then sipping it, then saying "Yep, that's whiskey".

The understanding is that this music has an attitude and charm that you actually can't buy. It was never about a lot of tracks or studio time. It was about capturing the big middle finger sonically. There was always that cheap prank feeling to it.

This musical style needs some certain quality ingredients, then after needs to be left alone like something hurt. Any producer wanting to express ideas could muck it up and ruin the directness. Upon first hearing you think that Thrash could go on into the future in this basic sub-genre?

This style may never go away? Scary just to think about that for a moment?

Still the classic Darkthrone sound has had this honesty to it. A simplistic style. When they explained their studio trickery was just simply beer, I believed them. When it all gets stripped away, we are left with something faster, light weight.....and it can turn corners better. Same with the All Hell, this three-piece is fast and nimble, which they exploit when they can. So when your listening your like, Schiit this Moonfog/Thrash sound is not dead? It can still walk. I like it. There is also this camp underground feeling, you kind of know there is not going to be a bunch of pressings of this. The home-brew feel and originality is in full effect. They recorded it near their house then put it in a can. Simple. Ok, so let's see here? Get the production to sound good but keep it raw. The drums have the same sound from start to finish. I guess that kind of happens when you don't put effects to the track? Also same with the guitars, they have exactly the same sound, first song till last. There is nothing pompous or fake here. I can't believe I'm going to call a Blackend Thrash band "cheap and cheerful" but I just did! This one does the trick with very little preparation or complications. It gets er done.

Listening to music like this is like watching an animal, it does not need much, just the basics and some instinct. Nor this music does not ask much from the listener. It's that wild feral cat that seems to have no one in the world. When you first meet you know it's a wild animal. "Leave it alone, maybe it'll go away?" "Don't touch it"

It actually doesn't matter how many times you play this disk. Sounds the same all the way through. Sounds the same weather you heard it one time or ten before?That is a good thing in this case.

You can only see a parents face hearing this stuff blaring out of their kids bedroom. The thoughts going through their mind, " What devil spawn is that in there ?"

Bitterly.......the music parents hate!

I wish this was longer. Still, I'm from the days of the regular record running time, not the longer CD running time, and this still seems short on time. Again, that whole cheap prank thing. Maybe because it's fun, it seems short. Far from one of those listens when you check how much playing time is leftover. Your like "That's it?"

10 songs,31 minutes and 15 seconds. Defiantly not too long?

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #20,995 of 29,695
Fans of death and/or thrash metal should hear Dimension Zero's discography. Very solid melodic death/thrash metal band with former members of In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, and other bands. They even did a hilarious cover of "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dimension_Zero/243

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #20,996 of 29,695
I still have to hear the first Ouroboros album. But I post my reviews too fast, then having new opinions, just learning this. THX Though! :smiley: It's fun!

At times we hear bands but are not familiar with their influences. If I had not spent years drooling over the Opeth catalogue, I would maybe put Ouroboros much higher. I guess everyone has always borrowed from everyone? Sabbath was so cool in the day because we didn't know the jazz records they were listening to.

I would love to reach the attitude where I could say "Ya Ouroboros can play a guitar style like Opeth? Cool!"

Still for a place like Head-Fi, Ouroboros is like audiophile metal on headphones, much actually like Opeth is and was audiophile metal, coincidencely.

Glad you like it!

I really liked the album and only rated it lower because of the influences were so apparent. Still it may be one of those records where if you listen to it 50 times you start to care less who the influences are?

I like the audiophile metal genre lol, yeah Ourobos mixing is my type, clean and you can hear everything. May be the bass is a tad too forward, but it's fine.

I agree with the influences, they are like a mishmash of olden days In Flames and Opeth. But as you said, they are so catchy I forget about the similarities. Been listening to just their album for the past two days, and for me that's a long time since I listen to music at least 3 hours a day nowadays. 

Listening to the bloodred hourglass album on YouTube now, looks like I gotta buy that too. My gears fund is getting thinner and thinner lol. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #20,997 of 29,695
Ha, Bloodred Hourglass is great. I pulled my review here for a rewrite as I was a little off on their influences. Still Where The Oceans Burn is put together like a BMW. A tight fit. And yes, the sound quality is frikeen amazing! Enjoy!

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #20,998 of 29,695
Holy ****!
The new Panopticon is fantastic! Even better than I thought!

Mixed DR bag

foobar2000 1.2.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2015-10-16 23:08:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Panopticon / Autumn Eternal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR11      -2.14 dB   -18.46 dB      4:33 01-Tamarack’s Gold Returns
DR6       -0.09 dB    -8.38 dB      6:21 02-Into The North Woods
DR6       -0.09 dB    -7.77 dB      7:05 03-Autumn Eternal
DR7       -0.09 dB    -8.93 dB      8:38 04-Oaks Ablaze
DR7       -0.10 dB   -10.44 dB      8:41 05-Sleep To The Sound Of The Waves Crashing
DR8       -0.13 dB    -8.83 dB      8:14 06-A Superior Lament
DR7       -0.09 dB    -8.82 dB     11:01 07-Pale Ghosts
DR8       -0.13 dB    -9.78 dB      7:08 08-The Wind’s Farewell
Number of tracks:  8
Official DR value: DR8
Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   16
Bitrate:           901 kbps
Codec:             FLAC
================================================================================

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #21,000 of 29,695
Before and After

Users who are viewing this thread

Back