Lets Talk Metal
May 14, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #18,706 of 29,687

I was really into post metal for about a year before getting burned out. I still visit favorites occasionally, but a lot of these albums seem to lack substance with repeated listens.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I agree it's easy to get bored with the genre. I still will pull out a few Nurosis/Isis/CUL albums when in the mood. But a lot of my older instrumental Pelican/Red Sparowes and the like not so much. I thought the last Russian Circles was good. And, I like some of the genre shifting bands that use post influences like Tombs, Deafhaven, The Ocean, etc.

May 15, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #18,707 of 29,687
The new Cradle Of Filth single is really good!

That was one of the greatest songs of the year. COF gets a lot of hate, oh-well, either you get what they are doing or you don't. I have been into them heavy for years and years. They have utilized everything they have been known for in this song. Almost like they were able to find the sound they are great at in the past and refine it. If the album is like this song it will be in my top five list for sure.The vocals in the background are just like what Sarah Jezebel Diva brought to the band from as far back as 1993, when she was just 16.

The female vocals are by a Lindsay Schoolcraft, who also does the keys.

Dani Filth looks like he has lost some weight, as well as the band being re-staffed again. Twin guitars again give us those melodic riffs missing from the last couple albums. There is actually a chance this album could surpass 2008s "Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder"!

If that happens I will maybe cry in happiness.:p

May 15, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #18,709 of 29,687
God damn! That new CoF sounds good.

I've been trying to listen to some new stuff. Totally digging the new Arcturus, that album is all over the place! Then Kadavar, Septic Flesh and Sulphur Aeon. I need killer background music while writing research papers.

May 15, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #18,711 of 29,687
Man, that album had some sick lyrical themes, being based on one of the greatest villains in history. I have the deluxe two-disc edition. Heard the bonus disc? =D

Purchased the original In 2008 then found the Digipack 2x CD when Virgin Records was closing near where I live. I think I paid $4 for it? So yes, three CDs total. My COF collection has only one vinyl, Midian, a couple live DVDs and even the greatest hits. But Ya, they always seem to make an expanded edition?

A great surprise was their rendition of Mr. Crowley on an expanded edition in 2004 of Nymphetamine. You got that?!

Might as well wait a couple days as you know this album will come out later with an expanded. Still they will get back at our behavior of waiting by putting out an expanded-expanded 3 disk set maybe.lol

Another one I own is the expanded 2 disk of 2001s Cruelty and the Beast, the album that made them mainstream. I have seen the Celtic Cross edition but never heard it? You got that?

May 15, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #18,712 of 29,687
God damn! That new CoF sounds good.

I've been trying to listen to some new stuff. Totally digging the new Arcturus, that album is all over the place! Then Kadavar, Septic Flesh and Sulphur Aeon. I need killer background music while writing research papers.

Arcturus is now an expanded edition too!

May 15, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #18,713 of 29,687

A great surprise was their rendition of Mr. Crowley on an expanded edition in 2004 of Nymphetamine. You got that?!

Yep, I have that too! ^_^ And the normal edition.

(Man, when I first saw the album art of that album in a mall, I was so turned on and excited! Had no idea a new Cradle album was out at the time.)

Another one I own is the expanded 2 disk of 2001s Cruelty and the Beast, the album that made them mainstream. I have seen the Celtic Cross edition but never heard it? You got that?

I just have the two-disc jewel case edition of that.

Good thing I'm not buying CDs nowadays (focusing on audio gear) and can wait until later, when all the fancy stuff is out.

May 15, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #18,714 of 29,687

I guess the Arcturus is about 90% perfect. Thought it was going to be my favorite of the year, still it's good but has a couple so-so parts. It IS all over the place. It does not really go together well. I hate to say that but it's true.

It would have actually been better if they made it a 24 song album and wrote passages to fit the songs together better. I still love the album. It does have a feeling like one of those lost remnants albums where they put found recordings together?

May 15, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #18,715 of 29,687

Too many versions, if you ask me:

Available editions:
- CD Digipak
- Gatefold LP (180g vinyl, black) incl. poster and PVC protection sleeve (500 copies available)
- limited 2CD hardcover book (18x18 cm, 48 pages) incl. additional artwork and bonus CD feat. exclusive remixes of album tracks
- Box set incl. 2CD hardcover book, gatefold vinyl, bonus LP feat. remixes, poster and certificate (250 copies available)
- Box set with the same content as the "regular" box set plus an exclusive vinyl test pressing - only available via pre-order and exclusively at the Prophecy online shop!

May 15, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #18,716 of 29,687
Yep, I have that too! ^_^ And the normal edition.

(Man, when I first saw the album art of that album in a mall, I was so turned on and excited! Had no idea a new Cradle album was out at the time.)

I just have the two-disc jewel case edition of that.

Good thing I'm not buying CDs nowadays (focusing on audio gear) and can wait until later, when all the fancy stuff is out.

You got excited to see this gold embossed slip cover?

The new Moonspell is one of the greatest albums of the year. It is just fantastic, it has an expanded edition too, by the way.

May 15, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #18,717 of 29,687
You got excited to see this gold embossed slip cover?

The new Moonspell is one of the greatest albums of the year. It is just fantastic, it has an expanded edition to, by the way.

No, man, I was talking about when the album first came out in 2004.

The two-disc edition came out in 2005 and I didn't even know it existed until years later.

My favorite Cradle album art is the Lovecraft & Witch Hearts compilation, though.

Good to hear about Moonspell. I'm 25% Portuguese and they are the only Portuguese band I know.

May 15, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #18,718 of 29,687
Too many versions, if you ask me:

That was like the last Led. Zepplin live album they did with John's son on drums. It came in every format there is and invented one or two.

There still is somthing nice about a regular CD. In the days of vinyl album could only play so long. CDs came out, then they started to make them long. The expanded editions always have songs that don't go with the album. Collectors want them but that's it.

Except for that Mr. Crowly song added extra, I have never been that blown away by any expanded edition. Plus now there is a tendency to make the extra songs dance remixes. Really is the way you want to end your gothic heavy metal listen session with disco remixes?

May 15, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #18,719 of 29,687
That was like the last Led. Zepplin live album they did with John's son on drums. It came in every format there is and invented one or two.

There still is somthing nice about a regular CD. In the days of vinyl album could only play so long. CDs came out, then they started to make them long. The expanded editions always have songs that don't go with the album. Collectors want them but that's it.

Except for that Mr. Crowly song added extra, I have never been that blown away by any expanded edition. Plus now there is a tendency to make the extra songs dance remixes. Really is the way you want to end your gothic heavy metal listen session with disco remixes?

I know what you mean, but some expanded editions, bonus content, etc. are pretty awesome. Collecting music is so fun, but expensive!

May 15, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #18,720 of 29,687
No, man, I was talking about when the album first came out in 2004.

The two-disc edition came out in 2005 and I didn't even know it existed until years later.

My favorite Cradle album art is the Lovecraft & Witch Hearts compilation, though.

Good to hear about Moonspell. I'm 25% Portuguese and they are the only Portuguese band I know.

Yes, that is another album that I found for three US dollars when a Tower Records was going out of business. I maybe would not have purchased it but 2 disks for that price? That came with 3d cover art, right?

The Moonspell is so catchy, you will find yourself singing the songs around town. Try that with Cannible Corpse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back