Lets Talk Metal
May 9, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #18,556 of 29,647
Post-Hardcore is a genius type of metal music.

Just, for the love of God, try Fugazi. or lungfish.

These bands represent where the post-hardcore genera has started, you might be shocked how much you have to loose if you label all post hardcore as bad or boring. P.S. these have no screams, post hardcore is not about screamo, screams or so on. it is about the raw emotion, the instrumentals, and so on. There are amazing bands from post hardcore (the first emerging ones).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBN2Z3yTKPo

May 9, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #18,558 of 29,647
Post-Hardcore is a genius type of metal music.

Just, for the love of God, try Fugazi. or lungfish.

These bands represent where the post-hardcore genera has started, you might be shocked how much you have to loose if you label all post hardcore as bad or boring. P.S. these have no screams, post hardcore is not about screamo, screams or so on. it is about the raw emotion, the instrumentals, and so on. There are amazing bands from post hardcore (the first emerging ones).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBN2Z3yTKPo

I'm glad you like it. Not to be insulting or anything but I just don't think your going to find anyone here who likes the genre.

Maybe we are just not with-it. It's not that we haven't explored the genre and some metal-core is not half bad.

But for me hearing the band you posted makes me cringe. It's the Justin Bieber vocals, sorry can't handle it. I'ts Gay.

If this is a joke on your part, it's actually a good one. It's the troll post of the year asking us to like that Dance Galvin Dance band. Lol.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq_caFxzKqg Maybe I'm missing something, but is this the music you like?

Just spend a little time and randomly go to a couple back posts, none. Not a genre we care about, and your not enlightening us.

Nothing personal, just not our cup of tea.

May 9, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #18,559 of 29,647
I'm glad you like it. Not to be insulting or anything but I just don't think your going to find anyone here who likes the genre.

Maybe we are just not with-it. It's not that we haven't explored the genre and some metal-core is not half bad.

But for me hearing the band you posted makes me cringe. It's the Justin Bieber vocals, sorry can't handle it. I'ts Gay.

If this is a joke on your part, it's actually a good one. It's the troll post of the year asking us to like that Dance Galvin Dance band. Lol.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq_caFxzKqg Maybe I'm missing something, but is this the music you like?

Just spend a little time and randomly go to a couple back posts, none. Not a genre we care about, and your not enlightening us.

Nothing personal, just not our cup of tea.

Man, you might be right.

But then again, i used to have lots of biases against music.

Then it happened to me, i had this revelation. Everything is worthy of listening to. I have been a dedicated metalhead some time ago..

So, i guess that in here, you do not listen to unhuman, wintersun, and no carach angren, obscurcis romancia, or cradle of filth? (technical death and symphonic black)

With the title of the thread being let's talk metal, metal has a pleathora of sub generas, and i would like to be on the same page, i had found good bands in every type of music.

Okay, so that i could just be sure, Rings of saturn. What is your take on this band? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQYWC9ezebw

I think that i have enough bands in my collection to be on the same page with everyone, i just have to get a grasp of what people are listening around here.

May 9, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #18,560 of 29,647
  So, i guess that in here, you do not listen to unhuman, wintersun, and no carach angren, obscurcis romancia, or cradle of filth? (technical death and symphonic black)

Okay, so that i could just be sure, Rings of saturn. What is your take on this band? 

I think that i have enough bands in my collection to be on the same page with everyone, i just have to get a grasp of what people are listening around here.

What makes you think that?

No, thanks. That's not my kind of Tech Death.

Why not click yourself through some of the older posts?

May 9, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #18,561 of 29,647
Man, you might be right.

But then again, i used to have lots of biases against music.

Then it happened to me, i had this revelation. Everything is worthy of listening to. I have been a dedicated metalhead some time ago..

With the title of the thread being let's talk metal, metal has a pleathora of sub generas, and i would like to be on the same page, i had found good bands in every type of music.

Tech Death listeners are noted as being narrow minded. They have a reputation for only listening to "their" bands. Still most here are not like that. I have pretty much every genre of music there is in my CD collection.
New Age, Classical, World, Jazz and lots of metal. I actually have a ton of Dance music too.

Rings Of Saturn are OK, I liked their early records better than their last one but they are different. I was actually really into Death-core in 2009. Whitechapel, Suicide Silence, Emmure, Winds of Plague, The Red Cord, The Faceless, Cryptosy to name a few.

May 9, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #18,562 of 29,647
@Trogdor

Someone just posted this in another thread:

Speaking of music though, do you guys use the Dynamic Range database at all?
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

I just looked at how they calculate their values and the method they use to get so-called RMS values seems really inaccurate.
A histogram (loudness distribution diagram) is created with a resolution of 0.01 dB. The RMS - an established loudness measurement standard - is determined by gathering approximately 10,000 pieces of loudness information within a time span of 3 seconds (dB/RMS). From this result, only the loudest 20% is used for determining the average loudness of the loud passages.

From their utility, Avril Lavigne's "Keep Holding On" song gets: Code:
Code:
 DR Peak RMS DR4 -0.14 dB -5.83 dB

Pretty pathetic, right?

Audacity seems to do a much better job at RMS calculations....
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Contrast
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/amplify.html

Using the "Contrast" analyser and "Amplify" (without clipping) features, I get: Code:
Code:
 Peak RMS DR -0.1 dB -8.9 dB DR8.8

DR8.8 is better. Looking at the waveform in Audacity confirms those numbers. The light blue RMS values average at around -8-9 dBFS and the peaks get close but not at 0 dBFS.

How does it seem off? The DR tool explicitly says that it uses the highest 20% values from a whopping 3-second segment of the song to determine its RMS values. How can you possibly say that's accurate?
RMS definitely isn't defined by the average of the "20% largest values".
If you even just look at a waveform in Audacity you'll see that the DR's so-called RMS values are pretty far off. I actually noticed this a while ago but I never understood why.
I tried a high dynamic range file too. Instead of 22 from the DR tool, I got DR29 from Audacity's measurements.

What's up with that?

May 9, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #18,565 of 29,647
The anime thread in the off-topic section.
Miceblue posted it.

Thanks. He is confusing raw RMS with DR. They are different but related. DR is essentially peak over RMS which is sometimes called the crest factor. The TT tool uses 20% of the highest samples to measure DR (not RMS) in an effort to not get fooled by a really loud albeit short passage.

Imagine you had a really loud short spike in volume because the engineer compressed some introductory clip before the rest of the song really begins. The TT's 20% rule tries to mitigate that. It's not perfect but for the overwhelming majority of music it works fine.

I posted the actual spec with the math, i.e. relax. Death Magnetic isn't DR8 secretly. (though I wish it was)

May 9, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #18,566 of 29,647
  What makes you think that?

No, thanks. That's not my kind of Tech Death.

Why not click yourself through some of the older posts?

I have, yet i cannot understand what would make the bands listed stand out compared to the ones i have in my mind.
Tech Death listeners are noted as being narrow minded. They have a reputation for only listening to "their" bands. Still most here are not like that. I have pretty much every genre of music there is in my CD collection.
New Age, Classical, World, Jazz and lots of metal. I actually have a ton of Dance music too.

Rings Of Saturn are OK, I liked their early records better than their last one but they are different. I was actually really into Death-core in 2009. Whitechapel, Suicide Silence, Emmure, Winds of Plague, The Red Cord, The Faceless, Cryptosy to name a few.

I listened to all generes throughout time, from indie rock like "the hush sound" all the way to grind.. i had taken a liking to some bands from every genere. i think i shall watch new posts and try to contribuite more to what everybody wants to hear!

May 9, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #18,567 of 29,647
 It's the Justin Bieber vocals, sorry can't handle it. I'ts Gay.

I guess I thought everyone in here had already graduated middle school? 
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #18,568 of 29,647
I have, yet i cannot understand what would make the bands listed stand out compared to the ones i have in my mind.
I listened to all generes throughout time, from indie rock like "the hush sound" all the way to grind.. i had taken a liking to some bands from every genere. i think i shall watch new posts and try to contribuite more to what everybody wants to hear!

Metal-core has had the distinction of being not liked here for a long long time. It was not liked here back when I joined in 2008. Which the whole thing IS different as metalheads are fairly easy going?

Still it's a great question for the forum, and maybe someone else could answer why?

Maybe because of the girly vocals.

Still who IS to say what the future holds, Dance Galvin Dance could end up being the most loved band on this thread?

May 9, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #18,569 of 29,647
Metal-core has had the distinction of being not liked here for a long long time. It was not liked here back when I joined in 2008. Which the whole thing IS different as metalheads are fairly easy going?

Still it's a great question for the forum, and maybe someone else could answer why?

Maybe because of the girly vocals.

Still who IS to say what the future holds, Dance Galvin Dance could end up being the most loved band on this thread?

I wonder what you would think of the image of closure in moscow. The lead singer sports a unique image, i think that he is very good at what he does, and that is sing, of course! 
biggrin.gif

I really like the jazz-metal-rock sound of them. you can try seeds of gold, or neoprene byzantine. 

May 9, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #18,570 of 29,647
I have been stuck into a state of mind where i would consider some bands as not being true metal, or consider electronic fake, or emo fake, or would think of core-type bands as being emo-kids. I had come to understand that i was wrong, every single human has the right to express, and live what he/she lives.

The fact that i am here is a proof that i had accepted every single type of music i used to not accept before.

Nowdays i listen to everything that has potential, i forget to care what genera is in the band, yet i do have a very strict hierarchy of folders, to fiind faster what i am searching for. 

I always as myself why would i ever care if a band would not be accepted by others, my own satisfaction is way more important than what most people think of my music.

From the standpoint of voices that are within higher registers, sonata arctica has that amazing voice and all the effects, it is one of my favourites bands of all times. I remember using to listen to sonata arctica for entire albums, one after another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back