Lets talk hearing loss
Mar 10, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #16 of 42
I've noticed that a lot of younger people have hearing loss now. Yesterday, I tried to order a Coke at a restaurant and had to repeat myself 3 times before the counter clerk heard me. I've had similar experiences with a lot of teens/early 20s people, as well.

Between excessively loud car stereos and cranked iPods, it seems like hearing loss is getting pushed down below even the age of majority. Sad.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #17 of 42
I rencelty went to a dance and this time i came prepared with earplugs (im 17) but after the dance my ears were still ringing! i guess they only cut out 29decibals or something like that. Sucks...

Anyway I listen to my IEM's but im not sure what is a SAFE volume. I know what is comfortable and all but I want to make sure because I dont want to damage my ears for the future.

Whats up with the livewires saying

LiveWires custom fitted in-ear headphones address all of these problems. LiveWires were created by audiologically sound principles and may prevent noise induced hearing loss by enhancing signal-to-noise ratios for the everyday, active, "wearer of music." Exceptional sound quality and extremely comfortable fit are integral to our design.

prevent noise induced hearing loss? is this a good thing?

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #18 of 42
type louder please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #19 of 42
Another bit of geeky science to add to Cosmom's input: One interesting thing about the neural connections of the ear is that the number of sensory cells processing the info from the cochlea is extremely small. We are talking in the thousands range, which on the scale of neurologic systems is infinitesimal (compare with millions of retinal sensors for vision). We lose some in time automatically, and they do not regenerate. There is high frequency hearing loss with age in everyone (fancily dubbed presbyacusis, ie old folks hearing), but this is certainly accelerated by exposure to loud noise. Chronic exposure is the worst. The time of exposure that is safe depends on the level. At about 90dB you are probably OK for 8 hours a day. At 100 dB that goes down to only 2 hours. Short bursts can be dangerous too, but only above 120dB or so. The numbers above are those used by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration in the US.
Low frequencies are relatively protected, for some reason most loss occurs around 4kHz like someone pointed out, and then the extreme highs, above ~15kHz.
So bottom line is: reasonable levels are fine, if they mimic say the sound in a classical music concert hall. Note that when you are in a concert hall you can easily hear that annoying dude 3 rows back shuffling his candy wrapping, so if the music you listen to is loud enough to prevent hearing similar sounds, it might be too loud.
Put another way, your lawn mower probably puts out about 90 dB, so if your headphones are as loud you should start counting hours of listening.
Hope it helps.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #20 of 42
I'm certainly concerned by the possibility of premature hearing loss, but it's my take that if you love something, you have to do it despite the risks. You just have to take precautions. Which would include getting hearing checked regularly, listening at reasonable volumes, and taking regular breaks.

As audiophiles, I think we may be at slightly less risk than say the average listener who listens to pop music blasting. We take a lot of time getting our systems to sound balanced, and will typically have a better understanding of what sounds good.

I should say I mean no offense to you if you listen to pop music, but that genre has been most effected by the loudness wars. Therefore, the typical demographic of listeners would appear to think that loud = better, at least that is what the record companies think.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 42
lets face it - our hobby ain't good for the ears. there are arguments that we listen more responsibly than the average samwise, but the average samwise is probably up to much less exposure than we are. most of us do not take proper precautions on our listening table nor do we care to test our listening levels. i know i should but i don't bother either. let's be carefy

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lets face it - our hobby ain't good for the ears. there are arguments that we listen more responsibly than the average samwise, but the average samwise is probably up to much less exposure than we are. most of us do not take proper precautions on our listening table nor do we care to test our listening levels. i know i should but i don't bother either. let's be carefy

I'd be interested to see how true this is... or how often others get there hearing tested, and of those, how many have below average hearing.

It's been my philosophy that the most important link in the chain of my listening equipment is the last, my ears. Now, I am curious how many others feel the same, and of those, how many do anything about it.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #25 of 42
Well, I was at the ear doctor today. I was felling a mild pain and some pressure on both my ears for couple of months. The doctor ordered like 3 different hearing tests which I am gonna take tomorrow. He told me that these tests will relieve the condition of my inner ear and if there is a damage, I wont be allowed to listen thru headphones ever. I am guessing
the days of this amazing hobby coming to an end... Anybody had a similar experience ???

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #26 of 42
Do you think people who are audiophiles in stereos, rather than headphones are at more of a risk or hearing loss?

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think people who are audiophiles in stereos, rather than headphones are at more of a risk or hearing loss?

No it is all about the noise level at the eardrum. As stated earlier in this post hearing loss is caused by long time exposure to high volume sounds.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #28 of 42
I am 22 and I think my hearing is pretty good.

My dad on the other hand lost 50% of his hearing on his left ear. It happen couple years ago when he was testing a car at a dealership. The speakers in the car dealership play had some major spikes in frequency and every since then his hearing started to get worst. Every time I go out with my dad, I have to stand on his right side so he can hear what I say. After that incident, I am very careful with the speaker and headphone volume.

Sometimes I really want to tell the teenagers on the subway to turn their volume a bit down, not because its loud but the fact that they are killing their ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back