Lets talk about the ATs!
Apr 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #46 of 76
If you send me yours, I'll figure something out. 
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #49 of 76
Reading a few of the reviews of high-end tube amps last night, it soon became obvious that the reviewers used the AD2K to judge the speed and attack of the amps. I hope jp11081 wont mind me quoting him in isolation. Sadly, I dont have ~3K for Eddie Current's 2A3, but its food for thought re just how well the AD2000 scales with better gear. 

I've always loved the AT AD2k and the EC really re-enforced my love. The common knock on the ATs are they are airy (what the heck does that even mean) and lack bass extension and power. This was totally mitigated by the EC 2a3 as the AT's shone like a light on the recordings that I threw at it. I downloaded the new Rolling Stone HD tracks 24/176 of Though The Past Darkly. Man o man it was like being in a studio control room listing to the masters. Little details jumped out. Ruby Tuesdays strings had stunning bow attack and Jagger's voice was so freaking papable. Jumping Jack Flash was a blast, Jagger takes a breath right before singing and I never really noticed it before " I was born in a crossfire hurricane" and it's like he's right there in front of you! This was one memorable listening session.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #50 of 76
I don't know why but I find the audio technica ad2k to be significantly more beautiful than say the w1000x. To me the ad2k is like the open contemporary house, with more windows, sharp angles, lots of lighting, metal accents, and that that sheer feeling of clean natural power. Think infinity pool and floor windows.
The w100x would be more of a traditional manor, sophisticated and refined in manner, but too much of an atmosphere caught in the past. Think ornate arches and stucco roofing.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #51 of 76
It is very interesting to see most discussion here is about the non-woodies. I really thinks there were AT brought closed woodies to the headphone world and actually made them the most beautiful headphones both cosmetically and sound-wise. Maybe AT guru can do a shootout for the 100, 1000, 3000, 5000, 2002, l3000...

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #52 of 76
Just discovered the esw10JPN today. Obviously It was out years ago but I didn't realise it exised until I saw a pic. Did a google search and can't seem to find anybody selling it. It really is a thing of beauty, and the hokkaido wood looks a lot better than the esw9 and w1000x. Anybody know if AT will make a new esw10 or any other models that use the hokkaido wood apart from the "costs an arm and a leg" w3000anv? 

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #53 of 76
Not sure if AT will produce a new ESW10 model but I wouldn't doubt the they'll be using the Echizen lacquer finish in future limited edition W series models. They've first used the finish on the W11JPN then on the W2002 (AT's 40th anniversary model),  ESW10, and now on the W3000ANV

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #54 of 76

Quote:
Not sure if AT will produce a new ESW10 model but I wouldn't doubt the they'll be using the Echizen lacquer finish in future limited edition W series models. They've first used the finish on the W11JPN then on the W2002 (AT's 40th anniversary model),  ESW10, and now on the W3000ANV

To me it looks much better than the american cherry wood and the african padauk. Plus it makes it extra special when the wood is actually Japanese and they put the word Japan in red italics

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #55 of 76
The one thing about AT's limited edition cans with the Echizen lacquer finish is that you have to be very careful about how you handle them and what you wipe them done with to keep them clean. They're an easy scratch magnet, just looking at a set of cans with that type of finish in the wrong way and a scratch may appear. Yes the lacquer finish looks beautiful compared to the natural Hokkaido cherry wood finish on the other AT woodies. It's also time consuming and takes skill to apply to get a glass like finish which adds to the cost of the cans.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #56 of 76
Sometimes I feel lucky for being unable to appreciate wood cans orz

My favourite ATs are ad1000prm, ad2k and a2kx..

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #57 of 76
They aren't super hi-fi cans, but I may be one of the only head-fiers that own the Pro700MK2ANV's.

Some of the richest lows I've ever heard, but the mids and highs are surprisingly clear for such a warm can. Sexy, too. If anyone has any questions about them, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Other than that the other AT cans I own are:

ATH-M30
ATH-M50
Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 (Sold/Distributed under A&H; made by AT)

I'd call myself a pretty big fan.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #59 of 76
Quote:
They aren't super hi-fi cans, but I may be one of the only head-fiers that own the Pro700MK2ANV's.

I think I may be one of the only Head-Fiers that has an AD1000.  I just bought it for the frame though since they look nice and are super comfortable.  The sound is nice, but it's not really my thing.  They're going to get some Yamaha YHD-1 ortho drivers sooner or later.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #60 of 76
I might think it is a little bit wasteful to use the AD1000 as a foster frame.

Quote:
I think I may be one of the only Head-Fiers that has an AD1000.  I just bought it for the frame though since they look nice and are super comfortable.  The sound is nice, but it's not really my thing.  They're going to get some Yamaha YHD-1 ortho drivers sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back