Let's talk about forgotten and underrated albums.
Jun 6, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"In The Court Of The Crimson King" King Crimson WOW!!!!

Really? I always thought it was something of a classic - I've loved it for years.

One record you don't hear much about is this one:

B00019G43C.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Spirit Stereo Frequency, by All Night Radio

These guys sorta came and went, but this is terrific psychedelic, 60's throwback, trippy, melodic rock. Fits with the Beatles, Beach Boys, Elephant 6, et al. crowd. If that's your thing, this album will sink its hooks in you.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #18 of 69
I've posted these before, I think.

Bruce Springsteen, "Tunnel of Love"

Great songwriting, quinessential 80's-radio-rock sound done right.

Tom Petty, "She's the One- OST"

Again, great songwriting, this time with a 90's production feel.

BOTH albums are "overproduced," but compared to other such albums, you can get a glimpse into why people tinkered with the knobs and layered so many instruments and used so much synth.

Also goes to show, in spite of overblown production, that music is about heart and emotion. These albums have those in spades, so I say they don't feel dated.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Faith No More, Angel Dust. One of my favorites but not many people seemed to enjoy it.

Are you kidding? I grew up on that shiznit. Actually, though, I like The Real Thing a wee bit more. And I'm also a huge Mr. Bungle fan.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #21 of 69
Angel Dust, In The Court of the Crimson King: forgotten, no; underrated, where?

Some off the top of my head:

Grace Slick, Dreams
Mike Batt, Six Days in Berlin
Sailor, Trouble
This Mortal Coil, Filigree & Shadow

If you're scratching your head, my work here is done.

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Sunny Day Real Estate's The Rising Tide didn't get the attention it deserved, brilliant work right before the rise of emo and it wasn't whiny enough I guess.

Anything from SDRE seems to have been forgotten. Was the birth of modern emo IMO.

Also Brand New's "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" is probably the most underrated album of the decade. Absolutely flooring.

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #23 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything from SDRE seems to have been forgotten. Was the birth of modern emo IMO.

Also Brand New's "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" is probably the most underrated album of the decade. Absolutely flooring.

That Brand New album is amazing. It's ridiculous to go through their disco and see how much they've grown from generic pop-emo.

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Marbles" by Marillion is a sorely underrated master-piece. I just discovered this album this year, and it's in my CDP frequently.

Love this cd. "Ocean Cloud" has cracked my top ten epic prog. rock classics.

David & David-Boomtown

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Brand New album is amazing. It's ridiculous to go through their disco and see how much they've grown from generic pop-emo.

Agreed. I'm not a big fan of the first album. Deja Entendu was probably the best album of the copycat screamo genre.

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know about forgotten. It's in the same category of Rites of Spring blah blah blah.

I just remember hearing a TON more about "How does it feel to be something on...". All that aside I'd the case that The Rising Tide isn't really an emo record, and thus got lost when Dashboard hit the fan.

Very much props for Brand New's "the Devil..." but again, if you read the reviews as of when it came out it's been called out as great and it's too early to say anyone's forgotten.

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #27 of 69
Mad Season-Above

One of the greatest yet underrated albums of the 90's.

Jun 7, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #30 of 69
"Stranded" by Roxy Music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back