Lets post this question again... about the ad900 and ad700
Feb 15, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #16 of 32
How would u compare AD900 with HD600 donunus?

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have done the AD700 and AD900 comparison before, the short answer is that it's the same as the SR225 vs SR325 argument: the AD900 is essentially more of the ATH sound in them than the AD700: more coloration, even bigger soundstage, more clarity and resolution. The problem is, I find that it has too much of the ATH sound in them, just like how the SR325 has too much of the Grado sound in them, and I couldn't stand how colored and unnatural the AD900 is. So to me the AD700 is the better phone.

You state that you have "tested" the AD700 and AD900 (amongst a multitude of others) which suggests to me that you have owned neither, correct?
In the interest of giving your comments some perspective, where and under what conditions have you "tested" them?

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would u compare AD900 with HD600 donunus?

havent heard the ad900s or the ad700s yet which is why i posted this thread. I have had the ad2000s though and have a pair of ad700s coming this week
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD900 doesn't have a bigger soundstage than AD700. Very few things at this price point have a larger soundstage than AD700.
AD900 does have better, stronger bass though.

AD900 do have bigger soundstage than AD700, but very slightly, I could only tell the different in some good records like classical or jazz. This aspect really hard to tell the different, at least when I compared them when used iBasso D3.
I agree that AD900 have better bass, but again, only slightly
icon10.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess we are different then. I like to collect cans, especially good vintage cans.

Yeah, I'm trying to be a one can guy; I feel guilty when I have two but am only listening to one. I can understand collecting them though. You can get a lot of neat sounds to choose from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD900 do have bigger soundstage than AD700, but very slightly, I could only tell the different in some good records like classical or jazz. This aspect really hard to tell the different, at least when I compared them when used iBasso D3.
I agree that AD900 have better bass, but again, only slightly
icon10.gif

See, if the difference is that slight in both bass and soundstage, I'd probably be better off sticking to the AD700. It sounds like if I got both phones, I'd do the same thing of going back and forth trying to hear tiny differences.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, if the difference is that slight in both bass and soundstage, I'd probably be better off sticking to the AD700. It sounds like if I got both phones, I'd do the same thing of going back and forth trying to hear tiny differences.

I find myself doing that with various phones. I've finally come to the conclusion that if they're that similar, its not really worth picking them apart and determining which is "better". Keep the cheaper one, sell the more expensive one and use the money to buy some great music, go out and see a live show, or buy your friends a drink.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The difference between the AD700 and AD900 is so slight it does not warrant doubling the cost in the case of the AD900. The 700 is a better buy, even though the headphones themselves are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the AD900s.
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 32
I've never listened to the AD900 or the AD2000, but I've tried AD1000 side by side with the AD700, though not very extensive.

AD1000 has a different sound sig from the AD700. Noticeably more airy (the AD700 sounds a little boxed in in comparison), with a more laid back sound sig as opposed to the more lively and forward AD700. It also scaled better with some portable amps.

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference between the AD700 and AD900 is so slight it does not warrant doubling the cost in the case of the AD900. The 700 is a better buy, even though the headphones themselves are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the AD900s.
biggrin.gif

Based just on aesthetics alone, it nearly justifies the price difference LOL. Champagne w/Purple Grills & Gold Logos? vs. Black on Pewter Grills & Silver Logos, No comparison really IMO. And with the improvements in SQ, the added Bass weight & impact, gives much better low-level detail & overall tonal balance. Wider Soundstage, more textured & better instument-separation as well, not to mention the overall improvements in build quality (no creaking dead-silent). Basically, it's the difference between a good all-around entry-level phone, to a much more well-balanced Mid-Fi-level HP, which makes the difference in price purely logical quite honestly.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find myself doing that with various phones. I've finally come to the conclusion that if they're that similar, its not really worth picking them apart and determining which is "better". Keep the cheaper one, sell the more expensive one and use the money to buy some great music, go out and see a live show, or buy your friends a drink.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think this is what I'm going to do. Maybe they'll do the trick for someone else... :O)

Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic

It certainly sounds like it. I agree with you that the AD900 look nicer, but I can't see the AD700 when they're on my head. :O)

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #30 of 32
Yea, the looks of the AD700 kinda grows on you as well (it did for me
biggrin.gif
). I didn't really like the look of em before I bought it, but now having em in front of me, I'd say they acutally look nice (in a wierd sort of way
tongue.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back