Let's hear your con stories...
Mar 17, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #36 of 62
sorry, about the double post, the first one was posted, but the page cannot be display came up and I clicked back. But then I went to watch a DVD, came back 2 hours later and clicked summit again! Silly me!
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
sorry, about the double post, the first one was posted, but the page cannot be display came up and I clicked back. But then I went to watch a DVD, came back 2 hours later and clicked summit again! Silly me!
biggrin.gif

:threadjack:

Heh.. over here, in PST time zone, it's sorta funny.. the times displayed for the messages are:

05:07
07:05.

.. but then, it doesn't work this way for any other time zone, and you're in England anyway..
tongue.gif

So much for the conspiracy theory..

Mar 17, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
A idiot roommate of mine in college actually fell for this scam, how I laughed! (I actually hated the guy, play his music loud without any consideration, make a mess everywhere, always taking the piss)

He believed the sales pitch from this white van man and bought a pair, and then he hooked them up to his Panasonic midi 3Disc changer thing. It sounded bloated and flat, horrible sound, the original panasonic speakers were better.

And him being such an ass all the time and thinking he bought a bargain, and I not like him much, I never told him!
biggrin.gif

So instead of telling him and making him feel bad about it you spared his feelings?
confused.gif

For an anemy you make a pretty good friend
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
So instead of telling him and making him feel bad about it you spared his feelings?
confused.gif

For an anemy you make a pretty good friend
tongue.gif
wink.gif

No, he's too much of an idiot and stuburn to accept/listen to anyone else's opinion, telling me won't make any difference what so ever. And secretly knowing that he's been conned makes me feel good, though another friends who know about HiFi also knew about this and kept quiet about it too.

Mar 18, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #42 of 62
The white van speaker scam has been going on for at least 15 years, in the U.S. A technical/cost breakdown of the speakers shows they use about $50 worth of materials to make a pair, and typically sell them for $200 - $400.

The story varies from year to year -- sometimes, they try to make you think they're stolen speakers. Other times, they use the "guy changed his mind" story.

Don't buy them -- they're crap.

Mar 18, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #43 of 62
It hasn't happened to me, but the Mexican version of eBay has some items that ussually retail for more than four times the regular street price. One of the best examples are those cheap China-made FM radios with a lamp. They go from $1 to $3 dollars, batteries and crappy earbuds included, but some sellers offer them for $5 or more, charging another five bucks for shipping. The fun part is that some people actually give them positive feedback for charging up to 10 bucks for a product that can be available for just $1.

As for white vans, nothing of the sort here. Maybe they use internet instead.

Mar 18, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #44 of 62
Let's see:

I experienced the "white van" only once, I think. These guys were in the next lane in traffic! I was trying to ignore them, but the guy had the window rolled down, leaning out with his arms, and finally, I had to stop next to them at a stop light. I just told them I wasn't interested. Come to think of it, their van was blue!

I did get totally scammed on ebay once, about $250 for a hard drive, it turned out somebody started a mailing list for everybody who posted negative feedback. We had the USPS, the local BBB, and several other authorities involved, but we never really got anything. The guy was so active, he was on the USPS most wanted list for a while! Don't really know what happened. Now, I just can't believe that I was going to pay $250 for a 26G hard drive!

I have gotten the hilarious emails about sending your private information to somebody in Africa to help them "disburse" monies they have acquired. According to urbanlegends.com, some people actually send them money!

Now, the latest email scam I seem to have fallen victim to is the **** sites that send a normal looking email stating something like "I enjoyed chatting with you last night", or "I have missed you". Just don't click on any of the links, unless you want the exploding, non-closing, self re-generating **** web page thing happening on a computer near you!

I think one time in ignorance I must have left my real email in a newsgroup posting, one bot grabbed it, and since then, I am on every spam list there is I guess! I just keep that hotmail box for laughs, I have to go into the Spam/Junk box twice a day and empty it, get about 60 a day now!

Mar 18, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by da_burl
I am on every spam list there is I guess! I just keep that hotmail box for laughs, I have to go into the Spam/Junk box twice a day and empty it, get about 60 a day now!

I get e-mails offering me cheap breast implants. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back