Lets expand Head-Fi membership to more countries
Aug 27, 2005 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
Although we have Head-Fi members from many countries, lots of other countries are not represented. For example, do we have any members from middle eastern countries such as Iraq, Iran, the Gulf States, Jordon, etc.? How about Tibet, Napal, and most African nations? Benefits of expanding Head-Fi membership to the many countries that are not now represented include: expanding our dialog with members of more cultures; further expanding the marketing of our favorite equipment; discovering previously unkown equipment that's made and used elsewhere; discovering previously unknown (to us) forms of music, and being able to converse about these forms of music with people who know them best; promoting headphone meets to occur in new international locations, and attending them, or at least reading about them; and establishing international contacts with new Head-Fi members, whereby to obtain guidance when traveling to those regions. Lets begin by establishing a comprehensive list of countries that are not now represented in Head-Fi. Please contribute your suggestions regarding the countries that are not now represented. Once this comprehensive list is established, we can use various approaches to solicit music lovers (and possibly even headphone users) in those countries to join us at Head-Fi.

Aug 27, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 20
Aug 27, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 20
Having a list of countries that are represented in Head-Fi, is a good start toward listing the countries that are not represented. Thanks. A possible future step is to get Head-Fi members who know people in countries that are not yet represented, to provide their contacts with info about Head-Fi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
well, here's a thread tortie started about countries that are currently being represented at Head-Fi.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52318

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 20
Uh .. don't forget, a lot of places don't have access or rarely use the technology the more developed countries do. (I mean phones, Pcs, internet, money, freedom etc)

tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 20
Hey Mike, good idea... but I'm actually doing my best to keep Head-fi a secret here in the Cayman Islands. The more people who learn about my headphone addiction, the more likely they'll start showing up at my place for mini meets. As much as I enjoy the company, it's kind of nice to be able to bathe in my own headphone suds and not have to worry about what anyone else thinks!!!

Aug 27, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Hey Mike, good idea... but I'm actually doing my best to keep Head-fi a secret here in the Cayman Islands. The more people who learn about my headphone addiction, the more likely they'll start showing up at my place for mini meets. As much as I enjoy the company, it's kind of nice to be able to bathe in my own headphone suds and not have to worry about what anyone else thinks!!!

IMO,
I would really like to have more head-fi members here in Lisbon Portugal, so we could share our music tastes and experiment lots of different sources, phones, amps, etc... The only negative things is that I would buy much more stuff!!! My poor wallet...

Aug 27, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Since even developing countries have their more educated and wealthy class, and since computers and the internet are available almost everywhere, I'm hopeful that we can further increase our international membership in Head-Fi. Finding a way to get more women involved would also be great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Uh .. don't forget, a lot of places don't have access or rarely use the technology the more developed countries do. (I mean phones, Pcs, internet, money, freedom etc)

tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 20
Language is probably a sizeable obstacle.

It surprises me every day how, as far as I can tell
tongue.gif
, well people write English here. I rarely get the feeling someone would have liked to express him self differently if he had been allowed to write in his/her own mother tongue. There are not many embarrassing ambiguities either - again; as far as I can tell. [size=xx-small]Anybody with sour toes due to my English?
tongue.gif
[/size]

Aug 27, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 20
There is a problem purchasing high quality headphones even here in Northern Ontario, not to mention the difficulty of trying to get these phones in "poorer" countries in Africa or Asia , so I don't know what exactly they would be talking about here
biggrin.gif
(unless they would order phones from USA, but most of the vendors don't ship to these countries anyway
rolleyes.gif
).

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 20
I'll have you know that most vendors ship worldwide.

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 20
I think that sometimes Head-Fi members in the US are asked to make a purchase on behalf of a person elsewhere, and then to ship the item there. Transfer of funds from other countries, to a trusted US Head-Fi member, isn't a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
There is a problem purchasing high quality headphones even here in Northern Ontario, not to mention the difficulty of trying to get these phones in "poorer" countries in Africa or Asia , so I don't know what exactly they would be talking about here
biggrin.gif
(unless they would order phones from USA, but most of the vendors don't ship to these countries anyway
rolleyes.gif
).

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 20
Translations by systems such as that in Yahoo, although of limited quality, are useful. And, future translation systems will improve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Language is probably a sizeable obstacle.

It surprises me every day how, as far as I can tell
tongue.gif
, well people write English here. I rarely get the feeling someone would have liked to express him self differently if he had been allowed to write in his/her own mother tongue. There are not many embarrassing ambiguities either - again; as far as I can tell. [size=xx-small]Anybody with sour toes due to my English?
tongue.gif
[/size]

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 20
Wayne - What I deduce from your many erudite postings, is the vision of a person who revels through immersion in the murky waters of endless Head-Fi dialog. I'm sure that your fetish for such discourse will expand to the more exotic, when you correspond with audiophiles from remote and extraordinary locations.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus

Aug 27, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Translations by systems such as that in Yahoo, although of limited quality, are useful. And, future translation systems will improve.

The results of those translators, at the moment, are often hilarious
600smile.gif
When I brought up the language threshold I thought of all those "lurkers" who visit Head-Fi.org frequently but are too afraid/modest to post due to fear of sounding "silly". Come on boys and girls, vent your opinions, tell us about your set-up ask us something!

Here´s the translation at AltaVista; English - Dutch - English.

The results of those translators, on the moment, are frequently hilarious
600smile.gif
When I for the talk language threshold I which of all those "lurkers are thought" which visits frequently hoofd-Fi.org but too frightened, brought/post records are because of apprehension for "foolishly" sound. Bowl on boys and the little girls, ventilates your recommendations, tells us concerning your elaboration asks our something!

Somehow, I feel I wouldn´t mind come across these kind of posts
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
For example, do we have any members from middle eastern countries such as Iraq, Iran, the Gulf States, Jordon, etc.? How about Tibet, Napal, and most African nations?

Jordan and Nepal I think. Tibet isn't a country yet (I think). Anyways, recently I found out the Bulgarian equivalent of AudioAsylum and Head-Fi - http://www.bgaudio.org/ and actually snapped the oportunity to listen to fellow member's MSPro's in Bulgaria. There are some amazing amps in the DIY section of this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back