Let's Discuss Your Raspberry Pi Setups
Sep 23, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #31 of 42
Crawling Chaos Wrote:

I had the same issue with Raspberry PI 2 and Modi, but I already posted here that there is a solution for this problem. Here we go:

Edit the file /boot/cmdtime.txt and add the folowing command at the end of it: "dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0"; then reboot. I found this solution on github.

Crawling Chaos

Reply:
Thank You for this.  However, It may interest everyone to know that there is now a radio button on the advanced setting tab to set this in version 3.0

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #32 of 42
Using a TP-Link C2600/Seagate USB HD as a NAS over a TENDA P1002P Powerline network > ASUS RT-AC66U AP > Raspberry pi 3 running Moode > Dragonfly Black USB DAC > PSAudio Sprout > Paradigm Atom V.5 speakers.

Works flawlessly and sounds great! FLACs up to 24/192 with zero pops, cut outs etc.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #34 of 42
  Anyone interested in using their Pi with an 8 channel GPIO card ? Or perhaps a 2 channel one ?

I prefer GPIO sound cards because they are tied into the Linux kernel more closely - this has advantages.

Matt

This is a 2 Channel card  24bit 192kHz, running off a RPI2.
Card is the Soekris DAM1021

Below is a lower cost DAC that plugs into the GPIO header. I have not used it.
http://iqaudio.co.uk/audio/8-pi-dac-0712411999643.html

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #35 of 42
I use My RPi3 Witherspoon a Hifiberry Digi+ and their Roon image coaxial out to my dac. Great way of getting bit perfect audio while not even having to care about the actual computer involved.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #37 of 42
I use My RPi3 Witherspoon a Hifiberry Digi+ and their Roon image coaxial out to my dac. Great way of getting bit perfect audio while not even having to care about the actual computer involved.

I just built a DNLA/UPnP network streamer using a RPi3B and a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro. They are housed inside of Hifiberry's steel case, which is sized perfectly for the RPi3B/Digi boards, and gives it nice finished look while offering some protection. The power supply of an iFi iPower 5V unit. It's basically an SMPS with extreky heavy filtering. iFi advertises voltage fluctuation is ~ 1uV. For the moment it is connected via Ethernet to an older Airport Express, which means bandwidth is limited to 100 MBps, but this will go if i start to hear paused for buffering to hi-res playback. Using the Digi+ Pro, the unit is connected via SPIDF to my Hegel HD12 and from there into my home stereo. It is running Moode 3.1, with the buffer set to 16 MB and hapless playback enabled.

Initial impress are that SQ is excellent! I haven't yet tried any 192/24 material, but it handles 88.2 and 96 kHz material like a champ. The only other network steamers I have used are blue-ray players, PS3, and Roku boxes, so it's hardly a fair comparison. I'm interested to know how it compares to purpose-built streamers like Sonore SonicOrbiter SE (which is based on cubox-I) and microrendu, but unfortunately I don't have access to them without making purchases.

I am a bit concerned about a sudden power outage. I've read on other forums that RPi will sometimes corrupt the SD card during a sudden loss of power, which may be what some of the early posters to this thread experienced.

Finally, for anyone else trying this, definitely use UNSHIELDED Ethernet cable, and at least with the Digi+ Pro, ensure your DAC is properly grounded. You want your RPi to see the DAC's ground, not the router's ground!

Lastly, one question for you all. Is there any reason NOT to increase the buffer to the largest size possible in Moode given that this device serves no purpose other than audio playback?

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #38 of 42
Huge buffer sizes usually just delay playback while the buffer fills. Many devices use a buffer option that allows playback during filling to negate this. Buffers sizes over a whole lossless song are IMO pointless.

Turning off swap and mounting root as read only can save SD cards from damage but it's no gusrentee, cheap battery backup setups are available for USB though if it is a worry.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #39 of 42
Huge buffer sizes usually just delay playback while the buffer fills. Many devices use a buffer option that allows playback during filling to negate this. Buffers sizes over a whole lossless song are IMO pointless.

Turning off swap and mounting root as read only can save SD cards from damage but it's no gusrentee, cheap battery backup setups are available for USB though if it is a worry.

Thanks Yay, both for the insight into the buffer as well as the idea to preserve the SD card in a power outage.

Just to clarify, I'm a long, long way from storing an entire lossless long in buffer 16 Mb, and I'm playing files up to 192/24 resolution). The maximum size is 64 Mb, which is still a fraction of a hi-res track. I have MPD configured to play when the buffer is filled 10%.

May 12, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #40 of 42
I thought I'd bump this thread as I found a local low-noise Raspberry Pi Lite board here in Japan:

http://www.ratocaudiolab.com/product/kit/ral_kcm3mb01/

I still have an unused Soekris board, so maybe this is a good excuse to build a network DAC. @b0bb If you have more details somewhere about the set-up you used it'd be appreciated.

May 14, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #41 of 42
Jun 4, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #42 of 42
This week my apartment briefly lost power. Unfortunately, when power came back online, my streamer didn't show up as a network device. Attempts to access it over the ethernet or wifi proved unsuccessful. I tried http://moode , http://moode.local , and the IP address (http://192.168.1.1nn). Fortunately, I was able to restore functionality by popping out the SD card and using my Mac to erase and reformat it (FAT) and reinstall Moode. Total time to debug, reinstall Moode, and reconfigure Moode for my setup was around 90 minutes. I live in Virginia, and in in the summer months when we get thunder storms, power outages are a regular occurrence. I don't particularly want to reinstall Moode every time, so at this point I think I'd like to get an inexpensive USB battery backup. Any suggestions, ideally something that provides a high quality well-filtered signal?

Also, unrelated, I think it's interesting to see that Bryston has adopted RPi and Hifiberry hardware in their latest digital player, the BDP-Pi (http://www.bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDP-Pi.html). MSRP is $1295. Some of that markup goes toward their proprietary OS build, and then there is the build quality of the case, connectors, and the power supply, but even so, I think the hefty markup is a sign that Bryston believes the SQ of the RPi/Hifiberry hardware is on par with their previous offerings and those of their competitors. Also, perhaps Bryston's adoption of this hardware will mean that the hifi community will start to take it seriously. Or not ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back