Let's Catch A Thief!! (Update: CAUGHT!)
Mar 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #211 of 430
Sorry to hear that this has happened to Todd.  Tar and Flog the criminal.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #212 of 430
Quote:
VPNs keep logs for the most part.

Since when?

Of course some of them do, but go find a VPN that keeps logs for more than a week..

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #213 of 430
Quote:
Since when?

Of course some of them do, but go find a VPN that keeps logs for more than a week..

If the whole point of using a VPN is for privacy, then I don't see why anyone in the right mind would choose one that keeps logs.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #215 of 430
Quote:

You left my name out :frowning2:
size]

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #218 of 430
Since when?

If the whole point of using a VPN is for privacy, then I don't see why anyone in the right mind would choose one that keeps logs.

A lot of them publicize that they don't have logs but then people find out that they do.
Maybe the scammer really didn't check if the VPN he was using had logs or not. Also from what was described, he would have to find a VPN based in SoCal to make it seem like he was using regular internet, if he was using a VPN at all, this also limits the choices of VPN providers. He more likely just found an unprotected wifi to do this in which case the router would probably still have his device used logged. (Really depends on what internet he used at this point...)

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #219 of 430
Quote:
A lot of them publicize that they don't have logs but then people find out that they do.
Maybe the scammer really didn't check if the VPN he was using had logs or not. Also from what was described, he would have to find a VPN based in SoCal to make it seem like he was using regular internet, if he was using a VPN at all, this also limits the choices of VPN providers. He more likely just found an unprotected wifi to do this in which case the router would probably still have his device used logged. (Really depends on what internet he used at this point...)

Of course. But come on, the guy has stolen $15k amps. He checked that out.

I don't get your second point : Why would he absolutely want to look like he's using regular internet? The unprotected wifi doesn't change anything at all, since VPN's were created to encrypt your data from you to the server and back...

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #221 of 430
Quote:
And routers don't log internet activity.

Even if they did (I'm sure some do), why would a coffee shop owner know what to do? And it'd be impossible to know which computer was his. Even if you could logically deduce that from which computers were doing the kind of stuff this guy would would have been doing, I doubt that MAC Address will be very helpful...

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #222 of 430
Quote:
And routers don't log internet activity.

Yeah but internet access providers do, that's where the VPN comes into play.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #223 of 430
It seems a little odd that within the time and space of these fifteen pages of blogging there hasn't been a real breakthrough in the case?  Still it is great that the all the headfi community has come together to brainstorm this injustice.  I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT BE AGAINST THE IDEA OF CONTRIBUTING TO A FINANCIAL DONATION TO HELP TODD RECOVER; SAY $50 OR $75 OR PERHAPS PLACING AN ORDER FOR SOME NEW LPS.  Someone instruct me on how I can help? 

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #224 of 430
I'm not sure how to organize a collection, but supporting Todd by being a customer is easy.  Just order from ttvjaudio.com or call Toll free 866-444-3910 or 406-285-3910 to place an order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back