Let's Catch A Thief!! (Update: CAUGHT!)
Mar 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #167 of 430
Quote:
Reading this thread is like watching an old-school Western.
"Let's round up a posse and have us a lynching !"
Where's D.W. Griffith when you need him ?

It's cases like this where we see Head-Fi at its least civil. This forum is usually among the most professional and best-behaved on the internet, but theft, bad customer service, and the age-old Apple vs. Microsoft vs. Open-Source debates tend to bring out the worst in our members.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #168 of 430
Quote:
You never know, it's maybe just the guy's friend.

they're supposed to check photo IDs when picking it up.  most likely using an ID to buy cigarettes or alcohol faces far more scrutiny.  i forwarded this to my fedex rep and suggested that they need to train the FedEx Office staff on recognizing fakes, or the equipment to do so, recognizing suspicious people and asking them questions, etc.  If enough people contact them about it maybe they will tighten security.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #169 of 430
Hi All,

Just to clarify a few things...

The shipping address/credit card address matched. Everything lined up on this sale -  I asked the guy for more proof and I received the most recent copy of the cardholders cc statement. I talked on the phone to him numerous times. The amps took 4 weeks to build from EAR and to ship to him so there was less time than it looks like it took to get this going...

I am asking for help identifying the criminal. I thank all of you for your kind remarks - I was and am not looking for sympathy. I just know our community here is large and by some luck I might find this guy with your help. Please do not take up a collection or anything like that. I saw that mentioned and I in no way want that.

I sold a lot of my records that I had accumulated to make up for the cash I had lost in this and the Pinnacle rip off (serial number 9). I had a 25% off sale and that provided enough money to keep me alive and kicking.

And just to add my 2 cents to the cost of high end gear, when you manufacture anything for a niche market, the price is going to be much higher and the number of buyers minimal. AND if those products are state of the art that will increase the price. Any hobby has its top shelf stuff - look at cars for example. Honda vs Bentley, Subaru vs Lamborghini. Volkswagen vs Mercedes. There is always going to be those who want the best whether it be stereo gear, watches, pens (have you seen what a high end pen costs???
blink.gif
), sporting equipment - everything has a high end and to own the best cost a lot of money. So, yes, the EAR 509 is an expensive piece of stereo equipment but it because of its sound quality and the build quality and the fact not many people are willing to shell out the cash - and in this case NOT Their cash...ouch!

Fed Ex did everything they were supposed to do. They were very cooperative and gave the photos without subpoena. They checked the id and it had the correct name and address on the drivers license. They are a business and cannot be the delivery police. I do not hold them at all responsible.

BUT here is what I had to do to keep my business open - I had to put all of this behind me and work my butt off to earn the money that I had stolen from me. If I had pursued this with all of my heart I would be out of business and still have nothing to show for it. I wasn't willing to sacrifice TTVJ for revenge. Not that I don't want to see that happen - its just I had to prioritize what I had to do to survive.

So in spite of all of this we are still open for business and hope to serve any one of you who wants/needs any of the products we sell. And as always, we will do our best to serve you as we would want to be served.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to look and I still hold out hope that this will be resolved and justice served.

Todd

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #170 of 430
Quote:
Hi All,

Just to clarify a few things...

The shipping address/credit card address matched. Everything lined up on this sale -  I asked the guy for more proof and I received the most recent copy of the cardholders cc statement. I talked on the phone to him numerous times. The amps took 4 weeks to build from EAR and to ship to him so there was less time than it looks like it took to get this going...

I am asking for help identifying the criminal. I thank all of you for your kind remarks - I was and am not looking for sympathy. I just know our community here is large and by some luck I might find this guy with your help. Please do not take up a collection or anything like that. I saw that mentioned and I in no way want that.

I sold a lot of my records that I had accumulated to make up for the cash I had lost in this and the Pinnacle rip off (serial number 9). I had a 25% off sale and that provided enough money to keep me alive and kicking.

And just to add my 2 cents to the cost of high end gear, when you manufacture anything for a niche market, the price is going to be much higher and the number of buyers minimal. AND if those products are state of the art that will increase the price. Any hobby has its top shelf stuff - look at cars for example. Honda vs Bentley, Subaru vs Lamborghini. Volkswagen vs Mercedes. There is always going to be those who want the best whether it be stereo gear, watches, pens (have you seen what a high end pen costs???
blink.gif
), sporting equipment - everything has a high end and to own the best cost a lot of money. So, yes, the EAR 509 is an expensive piece of stereo equipment but it because of its sound quality and the build quality and the fact not many people are willing to shell out the cash - and in this case NOT Their cash...ouch!

Fed Ex did everything they were supposed to do. They were very cooperative and gave the photos without subpoena. They checked the id and it had the correct name and address on the drivers license. They are a business and cannot be the delivery police. I do not hold them at all responsible.

BUT here is what I had to do to keep my business open - I had to put all of this behind me and work my butt off to earn the money that I had stolen from me. If I had pursued this with all of my heart I would be out of business and still have nothing to show for it. I wasn't willing to sacrifice TTVJ for revenge. Not that I don't want to see that happen - its just I had to prioritize what I had to do to survive.

So in spite of all of this we are still open for business and hope to serve any one of you who wants/needs any of the products we sell. And as always, we will do our best to serve you as we would want to be served.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to look and I still hold out hope that this will be resolved and justice served.

Todd

I'm a little confused on some of the details. If the billing and shipping address matched, why was it picked up from a FedEX Office location? 

Did the robber actually change the customer's credit card billing address to the FedEX Office location or something?

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #171 of 430
Sorry if this has been asked, but if everything matched and made sense, what if he/brother just reported the card stolen to get the bank/institution to charge back?  Does that even make sense?  

Charge up a ton of stuff, report the card stolen, get money put back by institution.  

Hope you are able to get something back Todd.  I live about 30 minutes from there so it makes me feel a little worse that someone local would do that to a small business for 15k.  As a new small business just starting, I hope it never happens but I know someday it will.  

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #172 of 430
Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked, but if everything matched and made sense, what if he/brother just reported the card stolen to get the bank/institution to charge back?  Does that even make sense?  

Charge up a ton of stuff, report the card stolen, get money put back by institution.  

Hope you are able to get something back Todd.  I live about 30 minutes from there so it makes me feel a little worse that someone local would do that to a small business for 15k.  As a new small business just starting, I hope it never happens but I know someday it will.  

^that could've happened
Was the card canceled? That's definitely what happens especially when you lose your card. Someone did the same stuff to me a while back and went and ate w/ my money that was on the opposite side of the US. And I still had my card with me. If it's the case that he lost it, you might want to ask the company directly about the card cancelling and if it was stolen or not. 

But Todd, I have lots of respect for you. Spent 4 weeks making an amp, lost it, and still keep up business for your customers. Hope to be a future customer of yours. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #173 of 430
The card was active. the package was shipped to the billing address but was rerouted to the Fed Ex office by the thief. If you are the recipient and have a tracking number you can have it held for pick up. Needless to say we no longer allow that to occur. We have every package sent signature required and no change of the delivery address.

Trust me - we took precautions and not due to this we have had to make it more difficult for our good customer by having a signature required to receive a package.

Todd

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #174 of 430
But that isnt what I was getting at.  

Maybe after the purchase, they reported the card stolen, say its identity fraud, the bank pays them back.  If they had a bill, the license matched the name, etc seems one of three things. Either the worker at FedEx allowed it to happen, or it was actually him that ordered it and reported the card stolen, and lastly, the card (and its statement) was stolen and somehow he made a fake ID to show the delivery address?  Unless I am missing something here for not going through 12 pages... that seems the least likely. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #175 of 430
Better safe then sorry. Especially with high dollar items.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #176 of 430
Quote:
The card was active. the package was shipped to the billing address but was rerouted to the Fed Ex office by the thief. If you are the recipient and have a tracking number you can have it held for pick up. Needless to say we no longer allow that to occur. We have every package sent signature required and no change of the delivery address.

Trust me - we took precautions and not due to this we have had to make it more difficult for our good customer by having a signature required to receive a package.

Todd

Yeah, I use the eBay seller protection guidelines even for transactions outside of eBay. Those state any item over $250. requires a signature for delivery. 

Just stating that I think will thwart potential thieves. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #177 of 430
Todd, you're handling this in the right way. It has to hurt hard, but you're being very smart about it. Commendations.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #178 of 430
It's hard to be a seller these days. I always worry about "charge backs" and fraud claims because it's impossible to win those.

I really hope the thief gets caught and your money is recovered.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #179 of 430
This hurts everyone.  Cyber crime absolutely can drive the small entrepreneur under, short-circuit cottage innovation and, ultimately, drive product beyond the reach of most of us.  Outrageous that it takes months to get images to the Torrance police.  Time to get serious about cyber crime.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #180 of 430
Don't worry, karma will kick the butt out of this guy. Who knows? Maybe he's plugs it into the wall and there's a surge and the amp blows up. And maybe a fragment stabs him in the eye. Or neck. Or face. Or chops his nose off. Or whatever.
wink_face.gif
I really hope that guy is reading this right now...

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back