Let's Catch A Thief!! (Update: CAUGHT!)
Mar 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #33 of 430
The guy possibly set someone else to pickup his delivery from FedEx to avoid identification. If it was the case, the transaction gateway should find the location by looking up his IP Address from which he placed the order. If he re-routed his IP or masked it by a fake/temporary one, technical Intelligence departments should try this.
It's worth a try as long as $15K is what we are talking about.

PS. And why was there no post about this events months back?

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #34 of 430
Sorry to hear such a thing can happen. But I have to admit - the crook has taste ! 509s are great monoblocks.

I am from Europe, so obviously can not help - but it could also be that this stunt was actually a "contract" by a "customer" and the guy in the photo was just used as means and might have even not known what was in the boxes. If so, the amps with serial # mentioned will not appear in the market any time soon or at all. When my car got stolen, it vanished into thin air - no trace was ever found - most likely "contract" either for a "customer" well outside the country - or for parts. 

Hope the amps are retrieved and crook(s) get what they deserve.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #35 of 430
Don't get me wrong, I'm not favoring this guy's actions, but what did TTVJ really lose here? Did he not get paid? (honest question, I don't know how all this stuff works yet being in high school)

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #36 of 430
Quote:
they seem very behind, a text message every time a purchase has been made (or over a certain $ amount) would be the way to go.  it should be mandatory.  some people dont find out about what is on their card until nearly 2 months later, and thats if they check their statement.  

Before they authorize a huge purchase they shuld verify the card like amex does.  In any event the merchant should have some kind of protection as its not fair that you guys get clipped the money. Scary stuff too much mail fraud these day.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #37 of 430
Quote:
actually, why not post this over at reddit?

probably the best way of catching him.

I just did on that subreddit. Hopefully someone can give any info on this guy.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #38 of 430
Jeez, hopefully it wasn't Danny Ocean's crew. Those guys are good. 

All serousness, good luck fellas. They'll be a reckoning. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #40 of 430
making jokes about someone else misfortune is down right inconsiderate and not amusing, Todd out a lot money and he has a family. please show some consideration . Hopefully he is made whole and the guy get caught this is not good for our community either we all sell gear here.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #41 of 430
Police investigate the black market or underground market sell these kind of items....I bet they have those market out there somewhere.

I don't think this thief will sell this on ebay or audiogon's.  then he must stupid moron!! anyways peace y'all

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #42 of 430
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not favoring this guy's actions, but what did TTVJ really lose here? Did he not get paid? (honest question, I don't know how all this stuff works yet being in high school)

TTVJ would not have gotten paid. The merchants are responsible to verify that the person using the card is indeed the actual card holder. I'm not exactly sure exactly where the line is between a merchants responsibility and that of the credit card company, but in practice just imagine being a small business owner and trying to sue a credit card company
triportsad.gif
Most of the time though it seems that the merchant doesn't hold to all the rules so they can offer good customer service and make the sale (not saying this is the case for TTVJ). I worked at a place where we would only take credit card if you showed picture ID and we verified the signature. A lot of customers got pissed off, but we never had issues with CC fraud. The next place I worked wasn't so strict and ended up having thousands of dollars in theft each year.

On the flip side, this is why CC companies are so nice to customers. If you say you didn't buy something they will remove it from your bill no problem. The CC company won't pay the merchant and if the merchant wants to fight it, they must prove that you made the transaction, the credit card company then comes after you to pay.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #44 of 430
HI Guys,

The credit card company always sides with the card holder. This seems to be an identity theft. I have a copy of the card holders credit card statement and many other "proofs" that the person who ordered was who he said he was. Fed Ex checked his ID when he picked up the package and the name and address and photo matched the info for shipping. On Dec 31st I had the funds removed from my account by the credit card company. OUCH! Not a good way to end the year!!!

The reason it took so long is that the local police move at the pace of a snail and it took them months to get the info to the Torrance police dept. The Torrance PD have been helpful, fast, and provided me with the document shown on the first page.

The IP address used by the thief to place the order was... 74.197.253.202 and the phone number he used - and I talked to him numerous times on this number was 424-903-2912. He even answered that number when I called to confront him on the chargeback. He immediately blocked my phone number so I could not call again...

If you can identify this guy, please call the Torrance police and maybe he will be caught. I don't know if I'll ever see the amps again but this is worth a try and the only chance I have.

Thanks and hope someone recognizes this guy soon!

Todd

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #45 of 430
Hopefully tod you'll get your money back and this guy gets what he deserves.

You've got a lot of data and info on what happened so it's definitely more than possible, and worth trying to, pursue this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back