Less than 65$ headphones, which ones are the best.
Nov 20, 2005 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mikee898

Head-Fier
Hey, I am new to the world of buying good quality headphones as well as this site. I currently use a pair of Sony mdr-v150 headphones to listen to my music, and realised that considering how much I wear headphones every day playing games and listening to music, I might as well invest in a nice pair.

I don't want to spend more than 65$ at the most, and was wondering what some good options were at that budget. I will use these headphones for gaming and music mostly, and their performance in watching movies is irrelevant. I will use them mainly at my computer, but I would like them to be portable for when I take trips or just when I go out and still want to listen to my music. As long as they are not bigger than say the mdr-v700s I will be fine.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I forgot to add that I would like these headphones to be somewhat noise cancelling as well, and somewhat durable, as I will be using these outside a fair amount.

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 20
Well, one of the most recommended for that price range would be the SR-60. Grados are known for performing great in rock, if that's what you listen to and can be had for around there if you look around a bit.

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 20
Ah yes, I forgot to mention what kinds of music I listen to. The thing is I listen to alot. Some technoish stuff, alot of rap, rock, mellow guitar, old beatles and pink floyd stuff. Really just a great variety. Id like the headphones to just be good overall and well rounded.

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 20
I'd plunk my money down for Porta Pro's or the Senn PX 100. Ooops, I already did.

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 20
Audio Technicas FC7 are $66 shipped from audiocubes.com

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
Well, one of the most recommended for that price range would be the SR-60. Grados are known for performing great in rock, if that's what you listen to and can be had for around there if you look around a bit.

Another vote for the SR60. There aren't many here that would disagree that in terms of price: performance ratio, it's pretty much the leader.

Learn to love your grado, and they will love you back.

Nov 20, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Another vote for the Porta Pro. Best headphone out there under $75ish. Skip the PX 100's... way to bright. Powerful, but you'll wind up returning them like I did because they're just so unbalanced. Brilliant precision on the high end, but barely any base at low volume and the mids can get drowned by the highs once you have the volume up enough to hear them.
[edit]
D'oh for me. I just reviewed the PX 150's, not the 100's. The 100's are reasonably balanced but don't have the umph you may be looking for with rock. They're pretty laid back.

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 20
you will not get any better than the sr60's in your price rainge but they do leak a lot of sound, just to warn you

Get the grado's you will not be dissapointed
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 20
I like my SR60's, the first set of SR60s I bought didn't make it home with me. this guy I work with liked them so much he bought them off me before I went to lunch. So I had to wait till I saw another pair in head-fi to buy.
blink.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 20
another vote for the sr-60... I have a porta pro but grados are in a different class... the portapro will have a lot more bass, but the sr-60 will have better bass definition, better treble extension and better detail all the time... plus with the comfy pads of the sr-60 it should be more comfortable.
note you can modify the sr-60 pads to make them sound a bit better by cutting a hole on them and putting them on backwards.

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 20
EDIT: I forgot to add that I would like these headphones to be somewhat noise cancelling as well, and somewhat durable, as I will be using these outside a fair amount.[/QUOTE]

Hard way to go at your spending limit. I auditioned the PX 200 (sealed) but opted for the 100's instead and you might want to look into the AKG k26P which is sealed as well.
While I haven't heard them and they don't seal well from discussions I've read. Headroom has the Beyer DT231 available for $59, probably the way I'd go as the Grado's are open and leak like crazy plus they're $4 over you're stated limit unless you want to go pre-owned. I must agree, though it doesn't meet your criteria, the SR 60 is the best out of all the cans mentioned.
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-he...mic-dt-231.php

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 20
well of all the people who recommended the sr60's... unfortunately they probably aren't good at all for gaming lol.

Anyways dangit... you wanna use them for portables... otherwise I was gonna recommend the Sony MDR-XD400... does everything u want besides portability...

but I would say the Sony MDR-v6 then...

my little bro has the v-150... and I heard the v6's... and you will be blown away hehe.

But if ya can somehow game on the v150's... I guess sr60's would be ur best bet.

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 20
IMO even at under $65, there is no one "best" headphone. I would personally prefer listening to the Koss Portapro over Grado SR-60 anyday, because my sonic priorities are good soundstage and plenty of air. It's really all in what you're looking for sonically. Nothing is going to be mind-blowing in that price range, so choose your compromises...

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 20
and soundstage! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back