Leslie w4 Headphones
Feb 9, 2006 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

crackerkorean

Head-Fier
I went to a thrift store today and found these. Picked them up for 3 bucks.
Any body have any info on them? They sound really good.

They also have a cross over in them to adjust the bass levels.
They are also open air design.

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 17
Pic as requested.
Rotoary speaker? It looks just like a little speaker in there.
I have to compare to a pair of grados but they sound pretty good by them selves.
IMG_3482.jpg

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 17
Interesting. They've got a nice retro look. Is there anything on them that would indicate their age? Just judging by what I can see, they appear to be in good condition.

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 17
I did some digging but was able to come up with very little.

There is a pair on ebay right now w2's that are NIB. From what I remember reading the person said they were from 68'. So I would imagine that these are from about the same time period.

I also foud out that Leslie was a company that made speakers for Organs. and what I gathered was that these speakers were very very good for the organs.

in 65 CBS bought the comapny from the owner and started producing more stuff. I guess these came out of that.

I got to listen to some jack johnson and dire straits last night and they sound very good. I do not have a whole lot of listening experience so I dont know how they compare. But I know I was able to hear details in these headhphones that I have not been able to hear in my regular system. ( I have to note that it is a very very good system)

I dont know if they were cheap or what but I do know im keeping them.

they are in great condition. The ear pads are nice and soft still.

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 17
The Leslie Rotary Speaker cabinets were famous for being the most "authentic" vibrato effect you could get from a guitar rig- consider it a monster effects pedal, in that the whole speaker would woosh around and around so you would hear a really cool doppler-like vibrato. That was a little inside joke to say that those Leslie cans of yours might have the same type!

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 17
Those deserve a recable!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 17
Indeed the Leslie/Hammond Rotary Speakers were famous. Pink Floyd used one of those on one of their hit songs, "Echoes". You can hear the effect the speakers produced at the beginning of the song where there is the "ping...ping...ping".

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
The Leslie Rotary Speaker cabinets were famous for being the most "authentic" vibrato effect you could get from a guitar rig- consider it a monster effects pedal, in that the whole speaker would woosh around and around so you would hear a really cool doppler-like vibrato. That was a little inside joke to say that those Leslie cans of yours might have the same type!

uhh didnt they use those for organs... not guitars.....

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 17

I have had this same headphone since it was new in 1974. Always performed flawlessly and still does. It was as good a headphone as you could get back then

Quote:
I went to a thrift store today and found these. Picked them up for 3 bucks.
Any body have any info on them? They sound really good.

They also have a cross over in them to adjust the bass levels.
They are also open air design.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 17
Just ordered a Leslie W2... Interested to see how it sounds.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 17
Wow this is an old thread. Still, would have been nice to see the drivers on this thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back