Lepai 2020A+ amp shutting off
May 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pjwylie

New Head-Fier
I bought a Lepai 2020A+ amp a couple months ago. I have noticed that turning the bass up too high results in the amp shutting itself off then turning back on, almost like it's struggling for power. So my question is, do you think the amp is defective or the power source isn't great enough to handle high levels of bass?

Speakers are Dayton Audio B652 6 1/2" 

May 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
I bought a Lepai 2020A+ amp a couple months ago. I have noticed that turning the bass up too high results in the amp shutting itself off then turning back on, almost like it's struggling for power. So my question is, do you think the amp is defective or the power source isn't great enough to handle high levels of bass?

Speakers are Dayton Audio B652 6 1/2" 

Sounds like your amp shutting down when clipping to protect itself . 10 watt max will be better off with speakers that have 91db and above, if you listen it loud. I never go past 11 o'clock on the volume control and the Lepai 2020+ fills up my 14x16 bedroom.

Of course there are several factors such as ambient noise ( I live in a very quite place ), room dimension, and speakers placement.
If you move your speakers closed to the front wall ( providing you have a front port speakers), You will get more bass and a wider sound stage but you will loose the depth of the sound stage. 

My Polk RT41 throws a wide sound stage with huge vocal. Some do not like this boundary effect that Bose speakers designed for but try it, it may be to your liking. I would not recommend this placement with audiophile components but for the Lepai 2020+ & a pair of Polk speakers , I love it for what it is.

May 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 8
I am an audio-noob, but it sounds like I am just overdriving my amp? Are there any solutions to this problem, like changing the power source, or is it just a result of a cheap amp? Not that I am complaining, I love my setup, and very rarely get to the point of clipping, just curious. 

May 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Time to add the sub... 
wink.gif

May 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 8
i'm having the same problem with my polk atrium 4's.  i'm using them outside.  the lepai shuts off in the 12 o'clock position.  they are rated 89 db.  should i just more efficient speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back