Leonard Cohen
May 25, 2002 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
Does anyone enjoy Leonard Cohen? My son introduced him to me a while back and I enjoy his work. He is reminiscent of Dylan. His songs grow on you the more you listen.

May 25, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 24
The only Leonard Cohen song I have ever heard is "The Future" it is the song that plays during the closing credits of NATURAL BORN KILLERS. I love that song
evil_smiley.gif

I recorded that song into mp3 from the DVD of that movie. I really do love that song, it's one of my all time fav's.

May 25, 2002 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 24
I listen to Leonard Cohen quite a bit. I started listening to him in the mid 60's when Judy Collins did a cover of "Suzanne" on one of her albums. I think that this was what got him his recording contract for "Songs of Leonard Cohen", which is still one of his best albums.
His voice, like Dylans, is an acquired taste. He even makes fun of it in one of his songs, "Tower of Song" on "I'm Your Man".
If you would like to hear some of his songs done by someone who does have a "golden voice", Jennifer Warnes did an entire CD of his songs called "Famous Blue Raincoat - The Songs of Leonard Cohen". I think it is out of print, but still shows up on Amazon used every now and then. It's well worth looking for, I've heard it used to demo high end systems in hi-fi stores. She also does some of the backing vocals that aeberbach is scared of.
wink.gif

May 25, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 24
I too have been a great admirer of his since the sixties, not long after the first album, Songs of Leonard Cohen, came out. He was well known in Canada and somewhat less so in the USA and Europe as a poet and novelist then. A selection of his writings was published under the title Stranger Music in the 90's and the two novels, The Favorite Game (1963) and Beautiful Losers (1966) are still in print, I think.
There's a great website - leonardcohenfiles.com - run by a devoted Finn, which will tell you everything you could want to know about The Great Man.
A piece of trivia: Cohen actually got Dylan (and Allen Ginsberg) to sing raucous backing vocals on the track Don't Go Home with Your Hard-On (!) on the wacky Death of A Ladies' Man album that he produced in collaboration with Phil Spector (!!) in the late 70's.

May 26, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 24
I stopped by Tower Records looking for Jennifer Warren's Famous Blue Raincoat. Well it was out of stock but they said that it could be ordered. Wandered around the store and found several of Leonard's CDs on sale for 7.99 Picked up Best of, More Best of, Songs from a Room and Songs of Love and Hate.

I ordered The Well and Famous Blue Raincoat this morning and they say that both are in stock. I also picked up a coupple of Dylan CDs that disappeared never to return during one of my son's trips to college.

May 27, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 24
After reading this thread i decided to check him out. Seeing the comparison to Tom Waits and i have been a fan of Tom for quite a while. I actually preferred the sound of Lenoards voice. It is a tad more mellow and easier to just get carried away in. Thanks to John_Jcb for introduching him to me. Cheers.

May 27, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 24
Not a fan or anything but here's my 2 cents. One of the good "alternate" papers here (The Nashville Scene) did a movie review on the old '"Macabe and Mrs. Miller" and really spoke highly of the Cohen songs in it. In fact here's the article...

http://www.nashvillescene.com/cgi-bi...Week:Arts:Film

May 27, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 24
archosman, since you included the link to the article, I deleted the text. You shouldn't paste in an entire article like that (copyright issues). Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
archosman, since you included the link to the article, I deleted the text. You shouldn't paste in an entire article like that (copyright issues). Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry about that. I meant to post only the link and forgot and posted everything!
frown.gif

May 28, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 24
Yeah, I dig him. Recently saw a re-run of an episode of one of those PBS shows (Austin City Limits) from way back. It was a little too 80's, but the songs, themselves, are timeless. I'm not sure which albums I have, but I think they're I'm Your Man and The Future, and they're awesome.

NP (ironically): Tom Waits - Alice and Blood Money

May 30, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 24
Don't really care for his singing, but love the writing. The Jennifer Warned album is one of my favorites, also the tribute album (Tower of Power?). Tori Amons does a pretty good Suzzane. Judy Collins does a lot of his songs in concerts. You might say she "made" him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back