Lend a girl a hand deciding on a high-end IEM?
Jul 26, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #16 of 73
I can't help you in the comparison of IEM's since the only IEM's I have owned have all been Shures. But I thought I'd throw this in since you mentioned having small ears! I'm female too & have trouble wearing buds because they never stay in & are always too big. I was a little worried about IEM's at first - but thought I'd mention that I've never had any trouble with any of the Shure models I've owned. They fit my small ears just fine & are comfortable for hours at a time. I've had the 2's 3's & the 4's. Just waiting for the 4's to wear out so I can get new ones some day
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 73
The S5P's and triple 5's are uncomfortable. if you have small ears, my wife loves the Klipsch Image X10, both for their sound and for their comfort. Having said that, I think the Westone UM3X are one of the best universals out there.

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S5P's and triple 5's are uncomfortable. if you have small ears, my wife loves the Klipsch Image X10, both for their sound and for their comfort. Having said that, I think the Westone UM3X are one of the best universals out there.

Same here with my wife and X10, the small gels, right? I wanted to sell them and she nixed it, but now I am trying to convince her to swap for the S2, so I can sell the X10s. But if you have small ear canals, the tiny gels are excellent. But I vote for the Westone 3s, in the under $350, non-custom category.

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #20 of 73
First of all, I find myself agreeing with the sentiments of iponderous.

Also, would the Westone 3s really be a better choice given the OP's needs over the UM3X? I have had experience with neither, but my reading has led me to believe that the marginally smaller housing of the UM3X entirely obviates any fit issues that some W3 users were reporting (and hence are a safer bet for small ears). The famed neutrality of the UM3X also leads me to believe that it would be appreciated in applications like music production. Just putting that out there..

Jul 26, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For long listening sessions nothing beats customs. And, given your stated sonic preferences, I would suggest the JH-5 Pro at $399 (plus impressions).

I disagree. I have the ES3X (customs) & the UM3X (universals) and the UM3X can be used for long listening sessions just like my very comfortable ES3X's.

Also, as stated above, the smaller housing of the UM3X makes it not only more comfortable than the W3 - also a great IEM - and SE530 but ideal for smaller ears. On top of that, and also mentioned already, the neutral & balanced sound is quite remarkable and I find them to be very musical and fun. The UM3X ($345) is better value than thr ES3X ($850 + ear impressions & shipping) and provide a good 85% of the sound quality of the latter. Top universal IEM's - and more so the UM3X currently - have a good resale value whereas customs do not.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #22 of 73
I've heard the Klipsch Image X10's (and also the Klipsch Custom 3) are among the most comfortable around, and being so small would probably fit me well. I'm wondering if the sound quality, however, can compare to the larger Shure/Sennheiser/Westone. Thoughts?

Also, how well does the push to listen feature work on the Shure? That would be very nice for me as I often sit with one earbud in and the other hanging out of my ear when I need to listen to something else.

Some thoughts on Sennheiser IE8 vs Shure SE530 vs Klipsch Image would be helpful as well. Some pros/cons as well as sound quality comparison for my needs?

I think someone asked what I would be using them for too? I mentioned some things in my initial post, but to go over them again........much of the use will be while sitting in a hotel room. I watch a lot of HD movies and TV shows on my laptop - a Sony VAIO Z-series. I go on long watching marathons since my job takes me all over and I'm often gone and in hotels for weeks-months at a time. I also, when flying, use my Sony UX280p UMPC a lot for watching video. I also do some DJing and music production with my Numark NS7 and NI Maschine, but both of those are via the laptop. I connect my earbuds directly to my Tenori-On quite often as well. Finally, I connect them to my Blackberry Bold to listen to music and occasionally watch video when working out. I don't have a stand-alone MP3 player.....I use the Bold and find it works pretty well and has a great volume output. As far as music, I DJ and produce mostly hip-hop, but listen to hip-hop, hard rock, and metal. I lean towards hard rock (Queens of the Stone Age type stuff) more when listening to music since I get worn out on hip-hop when working with it in music production a lot. I also do some gaming on my laptop when I get bored. I know, I know........I'm strange for a girl. Everyone tells me so, hehe.

And again, while I love hip-hop I tend to like the punchy bass rather than the low, rumbling bass. I've always liked car stereos with 10" subwoofers better than larger ones and the old precision power-style powerful amps to get that thumping bass rather than the rumbling kind that drowns out everything but the highest of highs.

Hope this helps and gives you a better idea what I'm looking for. I hope you all know this forum and all of you are absolutely wonderful. I've never been to a forum where everyone was so friendly and helpful, and absolutely LOVE the in-depth discussion that has started from my simple, very first post. Thanks so much, you've all been so helpful already. I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts!

Thanks all!
Yvonne

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #23 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have done TONS of research, looking at the Shure SE530, the Klipsch Image X10, the Sennheiser IE8, and many others.

Quote:

Also, how well does the push to listen feature work on the Shure? That would be very nice for me as I often sit with one earbud in and the other hanging out of my ear when I need to listen to something else.

Shure PTH
Shure E500 PTH worth it?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/o...?highlight=PTH
PTH too dam big

No offense, but that sounds more like MILLIGRAMS of research...

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #24 of 73
Personally, I would think the UM3x would be your best bet. Great SQ and neutrality, and superb comfort. I have really small ears too btw. I have tried all the top end IEMs like the Triple-Fi, S530 and IE8 and would consider the UM3x to be the best overall(fit and SQ). The superb cables on the UM3x is another thing to look out for.

The Triple-Fi would probably not fit you with it being so big. The SE530 has cable problems(not sure if it has been rectified) and the IE8 does not isolate well at all, not good for subway commute.

As for the SQ, I suppose its all subjective to one's preference but I would say you could do no wrong with the UM3x.

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

And again, while I love hip-hop I tend to like the punchy bass rather than the low, rumbling bass. I've always liked car stereos with 10" subwoofers better than larger ones and the old precision power-style powerful amps to get that thumping bass rather than the rumbling kind that drowns out everything but the highest of highs.

yeah im thinking IE8 for you

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #26 of 73
westones are far most comfortable and IE8 is quite good but not sure whether you would like the bass. westones' bass would be more punchy compared to senns IE8 powerful impact bass with wide soundstage.

i think IE8 would do better for you. unless you like neutral sounding.

PS: i am also afraid customs might hurt my ears because i have sensitive ear canals.

Jul 26, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #27 of 73
Audio Technica ATH-CK100 are available at SEYO for only $350 n these are extremely detailed through out the whole frequency spectrum with tight punchy bass. I also recomand JVC FX500 which are very detailed with punchy bass n ATH_CKMS70 these are detailed with big punchy bass n sound stage is huge. Klipsch Custom3 also has warm n detailed rich mids with punchy bass. BTW what type of sound signature you like most?.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure PTH
Shure E500 PTH worth it?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/o...?highlight=PTH
PTH too dam big

No offense, but that sounds more like MILLIGRAMS of research...

Eek, sorry. I'm not sure how much research you consider a lot, but I've been looking at wired models since I bought my MX W1's the day they were released. I found these forums a week ago Friday, and since then I have been reading them and searching around at least 2-3 hours a day until posting.........this Friday I guess. And I did search for the Shures.........I apologize for not realizing I had to search for the PTH abbreviation. For some reason I thought they were called "push to listen" and had searched for that instead.

Anyway, I'm sorry you think I've hijacked your forum. I put a lot of stock in personal opinion when purchasing expensive items and like to converse with others about pros and cons considering my specific needs. I was excited to have found a forum where people enjoy doing the same thing, but apparently I've been stupid and just annoyed people. I apologize and will figure things out from here on my own. I had seen bunches of other help threads during my research here that went on discussing one person's decision for 10+ pages and thought this was normal here. Thanks to everyone for all the help you've offered. It is much appreciated and has assisted me a great deal. Thanks and sorry to overstep my bounds so soon after joining.

Yvonne

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #29 of 73
I didn't say nothing equalled, I said nothing beats customs.

I personally haven't tried a universal though that even compares to my customs for long listening sessions. I think I have weird ear canals though.

I also think that it maybe hit or miss on comfort for some people when it comes to universals. But with customs, when they fit right, I think most would find them really comfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. I have the ES3X (customs) & the UM3X (universals) and the UM3X can be used for long listening sessions just like my very comfortable ES3X's.

Also, as stated above, the smaller housing of the UM3X makes it not only more comfortable than the W3 - also a great IEM - and SE530 but ideal for smaller ears. On top of that, and also mentioned already, the neutral & balanced sound is quite remarkable and I find them to be very musical and fun. The UM3X ($345) is better value than thr ES3X ($850 + ear impressions & shipping) and provide a good 85% of the sound quality of the latter. Top universal IEM's - and more so the UM3X currently - have a good resale value whereas customs do not.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #30 of 73
The only universal iems I've had any experience with long-term (not just meets) are the Ety ER4P/S (years), and the SE530/420/310/210 (two weeks in my home), so I'm not sure what's currently available that might offer the comfort that customs allow. I did finally find the right tip for my Etys (the baby blue flanges made for smaller ear canals) so that I was able to wear them for a couple hours, but NOTHING beats customs for comfort with long-term wear. I'm got my second pair of customs recently, and was lucky enough to get a perfect fit the first time. I've worn them for hours at a time, fallen asleep in them (not really recommended), worn them at the gym, and pretty much everywhere.

Though I've not heard either model, you might want to check into the UE4 and the JH5. I have one custom iem from each company, and can say that my experience with both has been excellent. As far as sound quality goes, my JH13s are among the best headphones I've heard (yes, I'm counting most full-sized headphones). I can't say how the entry-level models fair, but I'd be willing to bet that attention to quality is in every model in the the JHA line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back