Leica-fi?
Jan 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

wudai_e

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know who's into the L cameras in this forum, care to share your treasures? Here is mine
tongue.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 26
Now that's just showing off! That is a real "lust" shot for sure! 
tongue_smile.gif
 I only have the M6 TTL, and a couple of lenses, the 50mm 1.4 (older, not asph), and the 35mm asph. Love them but, don't have a good quality film processor anymore. Was considering a M9, but Oh, for the $. Audio, on the one hand, or photography on the other. There was a time with you could find audiophile stuff and photography in the same shop (worked in one). 

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 26
No pictures, but I've got a Leica R6.2, a 35mm f/1.4, and an 80mm f/1.4. I was afraid to bring them to school, and I also figured I probably would end up not shooting a whole lot during the school year, so they are at home.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 26

Quote:
Now that's just showing off! That is a real "lust" shot for sure! 
tongue_smile.gif
 I only have the M6 TTL, and a couple of lenses, the 50mm 1.4 (older, not asph), and the 35mm asph. Love them but, don't have a good quality film processor anymore. Was considering a M9, but Oh, for the $. Audio, on the one hand, or photography on the other. There was a time with you could find audiophile stuff and photography in the same shop (worked in one). 

Not to distract from the Leica topic (I've had to keep myself content with my Contax T and Canonet as far as rangefinders go), but why not give the Fujifilm X100 a try when it comes out?  I think I'm going to sell off much (if not all!) of my Nikon gear to fund one!

Actually, this might do better as "Rangefinder-Fi", since I'm sure the ratio of rangefinder owners (of any sort) to Leica owners here is probably something like 10:1.

Like many others, I'd love to have a Leica, but I can't justify the cost.

In fact, for film cameras I've sold or stored my bigger, better manual focus Nikons (FM, F, F3) and stuck with an FG for the time being, since it gives up so little in comparison.  It's really just... different.  Superior in just about as many ways as it is inferior.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 26
Interesting you should bring that one up! I was eyeing that one on DPREVIEW. Looks VERY nice! Actually, was considering selling my Leica gear but, every time I bring it up at our local Pro dealer, they ask, "You sure you wanna do that?!" Sadly, digital is one thing that really hit the photography market hard and all the local quality film processors dried up. And, I no longer have access to a dark room. Digital workflow really is easier than doing chemicals. 

Not to detract from Leica-fi, here's a Web site from one of my best friend's, a "legend" (to me) and who has maintained his emphasis on analogue photography (shared here only for everyone's enjoyment): http://www.christopherburkett.com/

I've been in his darkroom and production facilities and they are as amazing, as is his passion for music and audio. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
Interesting you should bring that one up! I was eyeing that one on DPREVIEW. Looks VERY nice! Actually, was considering selling my Leica gear but, every time I bring it up at our local Pro dealer, they ask, "You sure you wanna do that?!" Sadly, digital is one thing that really hit the photography market hard and all the local quality film processors dried up. And, I no longer have access to a dark room. Digital workflow really is easier than doing chemicals. 

Not to detract from Leica-fi, here's a Web site from one of my best friend's, a "legend" (to me) and who has maintained his emphasis on analogue photography (shared here only for everyone's enjoyment): http://www.christopherburkett.com/

I've been in his darkroom and production facilities and they are as amazing, as is his passion for music and audio. 

Yes, I've found that once I got my D200 that I rarely shoot film anymore - and even more rarely do I find the time to develop it myself or the money to send it out.  I do still love it when I get the prints or chromes back, however.  I only send film to NCPS anymore - their scans are indeed amazing (Ken Rockwell isn't completely worthless - his site did introduce me to them).  And I've just got to the point where I have everything I need to make B&W prints - which should increase my level of B&W activity once I get back to the US.

Now I've got a Sigma DP1s - and the D200 rarely comes along, since the Sigma fits so handily in my pocket.  The Nikon usually only comes out for telephoto shots anymore, but above all I really appreciate its fast performance - which the Sigma definitely lacks.  More than anything else, it has reminded me of how enjoyable and unrestricting having only one lens, even a prime, can be.  Suddenly many of the decisions I had to make before are gone, and my back certainly approves of it.

Your friend certainly has a very distinct style - I love some of his shots, but he certainly avoids anything wider than a normal lens like the devil, it seems.  Oh, and that is quite the impressive darkroom he has.  Okay, absolutely insanely amazing.

One thing is for sure: I need to print my photos more.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 26
Does a Minilux count?

I bought one several years back and used it quite a bit. It takes wonderful photos and has a very natural aspect.

Then the D70s came along and the poor Leica has been largely ignored. Can't bring myself to sell it, though, since I love film. My parents have been wanting some nice B&W portraits of the grandkids, so I'm thinking about getting a nice roll of Ilford and dusting off the Minilux.

I've been tempted to pick up one of the rangefinders, though. It'd be fun to learn how to go completely manual, especially after being spoiled by the Nikon. Though I've also throught about picking up a Hasselblad medium. Prices are pretty good and I'd love to have the big negatives. Eventually, I'd like to learn how to develop B&W and possibly do some platinum prints.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 26
I'd say the Minilux counts, although I'm not so sure about the DLUX cameras...

Well, if you're looking for value, it's hard to go wrong with a Pentax or Bronica!  Results are essentially indistinguishable between medium format systems of the same image size.  I often wished I hadn't sold my Pentax 645, although I'd get a 645n or a Bronica ETRSi next time.  Maybe even both...

I also regret selling all of my Contax G equipment, although I think unless I got a G2 I'd just end up selling it again.  Actually, I'm probably more likely to get one of those than a Leica, just based on lens pricing.

Geez, now I feel like I'm picking on the good cameras for being so good and priced to match...

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 26
Sera, If I had a M6, I would never sell it even though I know I would rarely use it if at all, it's just such a beautiful piece of machinery. I always wanted one back in the film days but couldn't afford it with a student's salary. I used to had darkroom set up in my tiny windowless bathroom for 2 years and the joy of pulling out the fresh developed negs out of the reels is something everyone who loves photography should experience imo. Even though I still like film but I found it too expensive and restrictive if you don't have your own darkroom. I would say keep your M6 an especially those lenses! That's some beautiful work your friend has there, I love the "Autumn Tempest, Utah" in particular.

MadCow, that's is a beautiful little camera you have, that's what drove me into buying the digital Ms in the first place, really really bad decision if you care about your wallet....

Goffer, that's a R-D1? can't really see it cuz of the DOF but I remember those dials and needles on top plate made me drool like a little kid watching someone else eating ice cream! And the finder in it still beats any modern Ms imo.

Erik, going MF is something I never attempted but always "wished I had done that" sorta thing. Definitely worth a try. Maybe you'll fall in love with the process.

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
Goffer, that's a R-D1? can't really see it cuz of the DOF but I remember those dials and needles on top plate made me drool like a little kid watching someone else eating icecream! And the finder in it still beats any modern Ms imo.

Nawww... still havent gone digital in the RF world, although I do love everything about the RD1 spare the sensor. For digital I stick with the D700 and all my favorite AIS glass :) It's a Voigtlander R4A, sorry for the shallow DOF, these images were originally taken to showcase my new lens, the Voigtlander 28mm f2 :)

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
Goffer, that's a R-D1? can't really see it cuz of the DOF but I remember those dials and needles on top plate made me drool like a little kid watching someone else eating icecream! And the finder in it still beats any modern Ms imo.

Nawww... still havent gone digital in the RF world. For digital I stick with the D700 and all my favorite AIS glass :) It's a Voigtlander R4A, sorry for the shallow DOF, these images were originally taken to showcase my new lens, the Voigtlander 28mm f2 :)

Still have my D70s, my first and last digital Nikon, still has it still works, was going to go for the D700 then decided to go small form and experiment with the rangefinder... if I knew how far I would fall for the Leicas I'd happily stick to my trusty D70s for eternity! :) I heard that's a superb 28mm lens, never tried myself but I have a Voigtlander 50mm F1.1, tricky to use but gets me there for the Noctilux fix
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 26
Well I'd gladly trade the D700 and all my glass in for an M9, so you went in the right direction :) As for the 28mm, I'm enjoying it a lot. It has yet to leave the body since I picked it up a few months back. I lusted for the Nokton f1.1 for a while, but 50mm is a bit too long for my shooting style, plus I primarily shoot in the day time and end up stopping down anyway... but best of luck trying to stay away from the Noct :wink:

Still cant afford any leica glass, but for M mount I have the following Voigtlander glass: 15mm 4f.5, 21mm f4, 28mm f2, and 40mm f1.4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back