Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear, do or die?
Jan 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jaksun

New Head-Fier
HI!

I have for a few weeks now been searching for a suitable headamp for my AKG K601's and i am now in a state where i have two choices.

Either i spend my money on the Lehmann or the corda arietta.

I'm having a tough time making this choice due to the fact that i cannot find alot of convincing reviews on the Black Cube, either on this site or any where else, why is this? Is this due to the price? it aint worth it? Or is it just a bad amp compared to other alot cheeper alternatives?

The question: I would love to hear pro and cons for the Black Cube.

The price is no concern in this case due to the fact that i've found a used one for a reasonable price.

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 10
Well, I'm a fan of both the Lehmann and Meyer Corda amps. A lot of equipment has come and gone during the past 5 years on Head-Fi, but my Corda PreHead and Lehmann Black Cube Linear are solidly anchored and I don't see them going anywhere soon.

I am not familiar with the Arietta, but I can say that the Lehmann will drive everything from the low impedance Audio Technicas and Grados to the tough to drive AKGs and Senns without breaking a sweat and sounding sweet and detailed with plenty of control. No solid state glare or harshness.

If you can find a Lehmann for a good price, I think you will be delighted for years to come.
normal_smile .gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 10
FWIW, I tried the Lehmann next to the Graham Slee Solo using K271s and HD650. I found the Lehmann very detailed, fast and I'd say ultra flat. But because of this, also a bit lifeless (if I may say so...). The Solo was warmer, felt just as detailed and is IMO more musical.

I don't know where the Arietta fits in, but I preferred the Solo with both headphones.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 10
For me it sounds like you're making slightly unfair choices in comparing the Arietta to the Black Cube. There are many good SS amps between these two worthy contenders. As for the two in question here, the Arietta is about 1/3 the price in my country (AUS) and is a fabulous little amp for some headphones like my AKG K240S and my Philips SHP9000; it is not however a good choice for my AKG K501s. It just doesn't have enough oomph and I can only assume that the K601s will be equally picky. If you can financially see through to buy a Black Cube, go for that. It'll stay with you longer. I'm already, after a year of loving my Arietta, looking for a bigger amp.

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 10
I've owned both and now own the BCL. It's really no comparison when used with HD6X0. Arietta has enough gain and power to drive Sennheisers but it's just so plain sounding. BCL wakes up the Senns making them sound livelier and more exciting. Arietta is a good entry level amp but that's it.

Considering the price difference between these two, the comparison isn't fair. You should compare Arietta to the new Lehmann Rhinelander. Though it's also more expensive than Arietta.

Lehmannaudio :: HighEnd vom Toningenieur :: Rhinelander

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Or compare the Lehmann to the Solo
wink.gif
and there are many other good choices at that price level too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back