LEGO turntable??!!! Yup. And it actually works.
Jul 11, 2008 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
I've seen so much off-the-hook stuff at MAKE, and some of the most bizarre projects have been built with LEGO blocks. OK, we have a winner. This is the coolest, wierdest, most pointless thing I have recently seen. And I would build one, if I were a better man. Yeah, like my son walks in and says "Hey Dad, me and my friends were wondering how turntables work." And I would nod sagely, and reply "Well, I can show you son. Bring me all of your LEGO blocks, a nail, and a sheet of paper."

Definitely hit the link...there's video of the critter actually making a recognizeable sound.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 30

Kilane

500+ Head-Fier
That is the most amazing thing I have seen all day.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 30

Mrvile

Headphoneus Supremus
Dynamic range is lacking. Bass response leaves much to be desired. Mids sound a bit "papery..."

All jokes aside, that is pretty cool.

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 30

Lazarus Short

Headphoneus Supremus
That is sort of cool in a "proof of principle" sort of way. But who among us would mount one of his/her precious LP's on that...?

Laz

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 30
wait wait wait wait wait. I did the same thing when I was 8 after seeing a Mr. Wizard episode where he did it with a pencil for a spindle and a sewing needle/cone combo.

No one was impressed. 'That boy ain't right' they all said. 'He's destroyed all The Beatles records' they all said. Phooey!

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 30

Lazarus Short

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the same thing when I was 8 after seeing a Mr. Wizard episode where he did it with a pencil for a spindle and a sewing needle/cone combo.

I trust your current gear is a bit better. So did you twirl the pencil with your fingers to make the record spin, and would that not make it a direct drive rig?
wink.gif

Laz

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I trust your current gear is a bit better. So did you twirl the pencil with your fingers to make the record spin, and would that not make it a direct drive rig?
wink.gif

Laz

Mr. Wizard was just the inspiration behind the idea, man! That same summer I built a programmable pen plotter out of Technics legos, so the turntable was relatively lo-fi. Man, I want to be a kid again!

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 30

Equus

Headphoneus Supremus
Haha...that is great. I've heard of and seen some neat things made out of Lego. Scale model of the cathedral at Notre Dame, a working scale suspension bridge made for a final thesis, and most recently a guy who made his computer case out of Lego...complete with motorized removable drive bays and doors. Always amazes me what someone can do with a little time, ingenuity, and Lego. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread