Legendary Portable Cassette Players Gallery
Apr 30, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #121 of 155
May 26, 2003 at 4:16 PM Post #122 of 155
walkman1.jpg

walkman2.jpg

May 29, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #123 of 155
I am impatiently waiting the arrival of my first DD9, here are the pics the seller sent me....

dd9.jpg

dd9inside.jpg

May 29, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #124 of 155
On to my next search, I am looking for one of these.....a SOLAR walkman!

walkman111.jpg

walkman21.jpg

walkman31.jpg

May 30, 2003 at 10:00 AM Post #125 of 155
Hey, I used to own one of those Solar Walkmen. I loved it and used it all the time. Sony was so innovative at that time. Anyone else own one of those beauties? It was *truly* water resistant unlike all of the newer "water resistant" models. The radio would play without any batteries at all and I believe the cassette would play without batteries if you were outside in the sun. Oh the memories...

I would pay *a lot* of money for one of those in good condition. I wish I could remember what happened to my old one.

May 30, 2003 at 10:42 AM Post #126 of 155
Quote:

Originally posted by Pappucho
I am impatiently waiting the arrival of my first DD9

eek.gif
congratulations Pappucho on that rare treasure you found. please don't fail to fill us in with your impressions on the sound of this baby.

and check out that head. first time i saw that made me think of an alien space craft
biggrin.gif
. the decoding capability of this unit is amazing.

May 30, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #127 of 155
Thanks Tina, unfortunately I am still putting together my analog rig. I have alot of old albums from the 70's and 80's that were handed down to me from my father but nothing to play them on. I just bought a Nakamichi RX-202 but I am still looking for a good entry level turntable with a decent arm/cartridge. I know it's probably going to take a while to get the mix just right. I'll post my impressions once I get it all set up...

Gojira...Yeah that solar walkman looks pretty cool. It looks like a modified wm-f100 from the pics....how did it sound?

May 30, 2003 at 2:37 PM Post #128 of 155
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
I think tapes is a pretty good medium if you have the right equipment... like a tape deck that can handle high-end metal tapes and a Walkman that can produce great sound, this combination should be very competitive to MD in terms of sound quality.

Precisely.

May 31, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #129 of 155
Here's one that won a design award around 1984. This is a Toshiba walkman, has auto reverse, dolby NR, and selectable normal/metal. It also came with an am/fm cassette that when inserted into the tape slot turned the player into a radio. This is so small that when a cassette is inserted it actually sticks out. See the WM-10, believed to be the smallest walkman ever made, next to this design marvel.

toshiba2.jpg

toshiba3.jpg

May 31, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #130 of 155
funny thread, its amazing hiw far technology has come. I love my ipod and when I get some of my new equipment I will be the envy of the town. BTW I cant find some of my pics from my ancient casio cassette player.

May 31, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #131 of 155
Quote:

Originally posted by Knocturnal
funny thread, its amazing hiw far technology has come. I love my ipod and when I get some of my new equipment I will be the envy of the town.

Probably not this town.

Quote:

Originally posted by Knocturnal
BTW I cant find some of my pics from my ancient casio cassette player.

\

Maybe because there wasn't anything special about that particular model. I think every player that has been mentioned here had something special about it and that's why it has been posted. Honestly, if it hadn't been for the progression made with these players here, your POS digital player would never have been developed.

May 31, 2003 at 10:20 AM Post #132 of 155
Quote:

Originally posted by Pappucho
Thanks Tina, unfortunately I am still putting together my analog rig. I have alot of old albums from the 70's and 80's that were handed down to me from my father but nothing to play them on. I just bought a Nakamichi RX-202 but I am still looking for a good entry level turntable with a decent arm/cartridge. I know it's probably going to take a while to get the mix just right. I'll post my impressions once I get it all set up...

but you're on the right track. your nak is a high-end late 82 double head deck which utilizes 2d heads (excellent quality). wonder how much did you score from that? saw one of these some time ago from ebay that went up to $350 (and that's a steal imo). even nak double dragon or rx-303 owners try to get a piece of your deck's performance.

good luck with your turntable hunting. that's your last step and i gather you're got the pockets for great ones based on those two new units you've aquired. a lot of good units are moving around ebay. if you can grab this or even this, you'll be one dude a lot in "this town" would envy.

Jun 2, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #133 of 155
I've been digging around old newgroup threads lately... A Nakamichi should be top-notch as long as you take it to the shop for alignment from time to time... Second to the Nakamichi at the prime time of tape decks (early to mid 80's) was Harman/Kardon, with decks that can do just as well as the Naks but at a tad cheaper price, pretty reliable but not very popular...

Yup many Walkman models listed on this thread are special for collection purposes, but for pure sound quality just go for a WM-DD9 and you won't have regrets! Just make sure you also have a decent deck as its companion...
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #134 of 155
Quote:

Originally posted by Tina

good luck with your turntable hunting. that's your last step and i gather you're got the pockets for great ones based on those two new units you've aquired. a

Hi Tina, Thanks for the links, while it may look I have good pockets in reality I have been fortunate to have secured a few good deals. I got the RX-202 for just over 100. They had been selling on Ebay for around 150. The DD-9 I got from a guy in Germany for 60 Euros. Unfortunately I have fallen victim to collecting vintage walkmans and my budget for a turntable has shrunk. Among the ones I have acquired have been.... 701S, F702, EX1HG, EX2HG, EX80, EX5, DD9, DD100, WM-2, WM-10 just to name a few (and these are just the analog players...lol). Don't be surprised if you find me selling a few of these in the next few weeks to come up with some extra cash to get a better turntable than my current budget will allow...I will post pics of the DD100 (boodo Khan) as soon as it arrives, this one came complete with the headphones....

Jun 2, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #135 of 155
pappucho,
How did your WM701S project turn out? You got a real deal on that one. Thanks for the pic of the "Solar Walkman". Never saw one of those before. Let us know how you like your Boodo Khan. I'm still using mine and love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back