Legendary PCDPs
Jun 27, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #76 of 82
IMHO,

I had the D-626 about 3 years back and it was a very impressive player. To me, it was really ahead of its time. The ability to listen to the music wireless was neat, but the sound was not very very good. The headphone out is o.k. though.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #77 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
From what I've read on these forumns the best of the old stuff is:

sony d555 (i here is has really good eq settings and dual dac)

Here in the archives is some research that both myself and Saronian did which resulted in proof (in form of datasheets at the end of the thread if the links are still active) that the term 'Dual Dac' refers to a Delta-Sigma DAC which almost ALL modern players have... basically a fancy name for the same DAC found in any other PCDP ~ I would NOT say in the most part that seeing 'Dual DAC' written in the documentation, or printed on the player is a guaranteed sign of good sound... Afterall all the modern Sonys use 'Dual DAC' designs, and we know they suck from the headphone out, albeit they are reprieved by their line out quality.

This link here, like many in this forum to other forum posts, takes me to a completely different thread?

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #78 of 82
Denon dcp-150

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #79 of 82
Denon DCP-100 is no slouch either. I would consider it one of the legendary PCDPs.

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #80 of 82
Denon DCP-100 is no slouch either. I would consider it one of the legendary PCDPs.
Yep. Sold my dcp-150 20 years ago. Its was best i heard back in the days. 👍

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #81 of 82
The difference between the D777 and the E905? so far as I know apart from a couple of minor chip updates, the biggest change is in the DAC ~ Both are made by Toshiba (also can be noted on the link posted above) but the D777 employs standard 'MegaBass' where the bass boost is added within the amplifier, and the E905s 'Digital MegaBass' is added 'On-DAC'... the E905 line out is cleaner than that of the D777, and so is the headphone out, being much airier (having quite a credible soundstage) but you can ultimately hear the begining of the end for Sony sound quality in this player...

The D777 'auto-equalises' its sound from the headphone out... if there is a huge bass drum or something playing away on your CD, the D777 will distort (between 6-8 on the volume when it begins to run out of steam) a couple of times, and then the distortion will stop, the player having EQ'd the bass to a level it can manage, and it would 'remember' that bass depth througout the rest of the CD, so ~ unless there was heavier bass on another track (where the process would be repeated) there would be no more distortion from the headphone output (but I never actually heard a degradation in the bass depth, its very clever). Whereas this is NOT the case on the E905... so whilst the sound is cleaner, and airier it does NOT have the 'auto-eq' feature, the unit can (although I've only managed it a couple of times) distort

If you like your music loud and bassy and don't mind a minor degradation in sound quality... look for the D777 over the E905... but of course it needs to be said that both players sound rubbish with the bass boost on, the D777 with its 'Auto-EQ' becomes quite spitty with the treble, and the E905 can (as just mentioned) distort (that was how I got the unit to distort if that is of any interest)

Interesting - I wasn't aware of those technical differences.

Back in the '90s, when I owned both a D-777 and an D-E905, I wasn't obsessive about nuances, but I don't specifically recall any obvious subjective differences in SQ between the two players.

I still own one example of each, but the D-E905 is dead as a dodo, so I can't compare their SQ. The D-777 still works, but I almost never use it, since a tiny little Cowon Plenue D, with loads of battery life and around 150gb of music on it, is so much more convenient to throw in my pocket. Broadly-speaking, I can say that the D-777 has a very rich sound, but I wouldn't say it sounds particularly stunning. Nice, and of its time, and provided me with many many hours of listening pleasure, years ago.

The only reason I still have it is for nostalgia, as I lived through owning a D-777 when they were in production. That and the fact that it is an aesthetically-pleasing device.

Jun 3, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #82 of 82
I've been trying to find a Denon DCP-150 to buy for 2 years now without any luck. They are really hard to come by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back