Left side always louder than right side
Feb 20, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 19
Maybe custom IEMs are the way to go in that case. Or even custom eartips. They are a bit pricey, but a friend of mine uses them and he can bring the same tip to be used on a few other IEMs that have around the same nozzle diameter.

I have one ear that is also slightly bigger than the other, and for some IEMs, I have to use different size eartips for the left and right ears respectively, to get a good seal.
Thanks, this might be a great option.

I'm not sure about custom IEMs (it has to be the perfect IEM then), but custom eartips sound very interesting. Have to look if there's a good producer here in Europe or even Germany.

And about the price. I spent over 40$ just for the Xelastecs and over 100$ just for eartips in general. So custom eartips which I could use with any IEM are no big deal I guess. :D

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #17 of 19
Op I experience something similar where it sound like the sound is always to the right. I think it's because of the length of ear canals that my actual center image is to the right of my nose. I experience this with iems and headphones but iems can make it more complicated

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #19 of 19
I don't know how often that happens, but I remember discussing about this off center idea a bunch of times. And twice, OP finally concluded that his problem was better solved with a tiny delay in one channel, instead of panning by making one channel louder.
I hypothesized that maybe they had a tendency to keep their head aimed slightly off center by habit when talking to people, driving, watching tv... So much so that maybe the brain had recalibrated as if that position was dead center. I honestly have no idea if that's even remotely possible, but I couldn't think of anything else.

Of course keep in mind that most people probably just have an actual imbalance at the amp or at some frequencies in the headphone/IEM(because they almost always have those, or maybe because of placement, insertion). Then a lot of music has almost centered voices and instruments instead of actual mono, for reasons. And ultimately someone might just have a significant hearing loss that's too much for the brain to just recalibrate as feeling balanced. So, people can test a bunch of things while keeping in mind those more typical cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back