Left side always louder than right side
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

CommanderCute

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.

Since I've been using IEMs, I've noticed that the left side is always a bit louder than the right side. This has also been the case with all the IEMs I own and have owned.

To be more precise, it's not directly about volume.
I perceive details on the left side a little better (e.g. the sliding on the neck of the guitar I hear more clearly on the left, clapping I perceive more clearly, cymbals also, to name just two examples, there are many more).

Of course, I notice this especially when something is played in stereo.
If the sound is in mono or central, I hear the same on both sides.

I own as amp the Qudelix 5K and can there also set the dB for each side. For example, if I reduce the left side by 3 dB, I hear stereo on both sides about the same volume, but the sound of the center shifts significantly to the right.

Even if I do stereo tests for headphones/speakers with the same dB on both sides, it sounds equally loud. Even with normal speakers or headphones, the left and right sides are quite identical.
It only occurs when I listen to music normally.

Does anyone of you know this phenomenon?
Can it be something psychoacoustic?

I would be very interested to hear what you think. Unfortunately, this really takes the fun out of my IEMs.

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 19
It sounds like your hearing is different in each ear. Perhaps there is pressure of some kind in your right ear. I have this issue too in the morning until I clear my ears a few times.

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 19
It sounds like your hearing is different in each ear. Perhaps there is pressure of some kind in your right ear. I have this issue too in the morning until I clear my ears a few times.
How do you clean your ears? I usually have no problems with that and I had the same issue even after a professional cleaning by a doctor a few months ago.

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 19
I'm confused about the mono part.
You write this:
But you also write this
if I reduce the left side by 3 dB, I hear stereo on both sides about the same volume, but the sound of the center shifts significantly to the right.
They seem contradictory to me. Or maybe you mean that somehow you feel like mono sounds are centered(in term of perceived direction), but feel louder in the left ear? I'm probably misunderstanding this.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 19

Take this video for example.

On the Qudelix, left and right side are set at the same db:
- Synths on the left side are louder than on the right side
- Bass (center) is the same volume on both sides

On the Qudelix, left side -4db reduced:
- Synths on the left and the right side are the same volume
- Bass is louder on the right side

I hope now it's more clear what I mean, just hard to describe, sorry for that.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 19
You may have different frequency responses in your ears. Your highs, where those details are, might be less sensitive on the left. If your left ear was more closely exposed to loud noise than your right, there might be high-frequency loss. People who do target shooting, or band members who stand next to the drummer, etc., can have high-frequency loss on the louder side. Also, we lose highs as we age.

You can do a rough check with online hearing tests, like these:
https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_perceptualsinesweep.php

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php .

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 19

Take this video for example.

On the Qudelix, left and right side are set at the same db:
- Synths on the left side are louder than on the right side
- Bass (center) is the same volume on both sides

On the Qudelix, left side -4db reduced:
- Synths on the left and the right side are the same volume
- Bass is louder on the right side

I hope now it's more clear what I mean, just hard to describe, sorry for that.

I get it now, thank you. Based on that, I suspect @earmonger to be right. The imbalance could be real but only at some frequencies. With the sine sweep focus on placement(doesn't work for bass), and see if you sense it moving to one side(I would guess left).

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 19
Hey guys.

Since I've been using IEMs, I've noticed that the left side is always a bit louder than the right side. This has also been the case with all the IEMs I own and have owned.

To be more precise, it's not directly about volume.
I perceive details on the left side a little better (e.g. the sliding on the neck of the guitar I hear more clearly on the left, clapping I perceive more clearly, cymbals also, to name just two examples, there are many more).

Of course, I notice this especially when something is played in stereo.

I own as amp the Qudelix 5K and can there also set the dB for each side. For example, if I reduce the left side by 3 dB, I hear stereo on both sides about the same volume, but the sound of the center shifts significantly to the right.

Even if I do stereo tests for headphones/speakers with the same dB on both sides, it sounds equally loud. Even with normal speakers or headphones, the left and right sides are quite identical.
It only occurs when I listen to music normally.

Does anyone of you know this phenomenon?
Can it be something psychoacoustic?

I would be very interested to hear what you think. Unfortunately, this really takes the fun out of my IEMs.

Perhaps u can see if u can get an appt with an audiologist to do a hearing test?

For some recordings the mix may pan certain stuff to one side, but if u tried it on a few different tracks and have swapped cables, it really might be a hearing issue, just need to exclude that.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #13 of 19
Thanks for all your answers. Great help. :)

I've been testing a bit more the last few days and have noticed more and more clearly that my right ear canal is quite different from the left after all.

I don't need different tip sizes, but the deeper I have the IEM in the right ear canal, the quieter the treble becomes.
On the left, however, I notice no difference, no matter how deep the IEM sits.
I also notice that if I push the left IEM further into the ear, the sound barely changes, if I push the right one further into the ear, the sound "blocks".

If the IEM sits at the very beginning of the ear canal, just where it starts to get a seal, it's better. Although I still perceive more details on the left, especially in the treble and it is also a bit louder, but at least so good that I do not constantly think about it.
However, after a short time I get very severe pain in the ear canal when the IEMs are less deep inserted. Too bad.

Different tips also make a difference, of course. With the Xelastec I have now made the best experiences, even if they do not please me otherwise so well.

I have now also ordered a pair of Spinfit CP100 and CP145, because there the tip of the tip adapts to the ear canal.

That I hear on the right side probably just a little worse / different, I have to just accept and not constantly bother me or pay attention to it.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 19

I've been testing a bit more the last few days and have noticed more and more clearly that my right ear canal is quite different from the left after all.

I don't need different tip sizes, but the deeper I have the IEM in the right ear canal, the quieter the treble becomes.
I also notice that if I push the left IEM further into the ear, the sound barely changes, if I push the right one further into the ear, the sound "blocks".

If the IEM sits at the very beginning of the ear canal, just where it starts to get a seal, it's better. Although I still perceive more details on the left, especially in the treble and it is also a bit louder, but at least so good that I do not constantly think about it.
However, after a short time I get very severe pain in the ear canal when the IEMs are less deep inserted. Too bad.

Different tips also make a difference, of course. With the Xelastec I have now made the best experiences, even if they do not please me otherwise so well.

I have now also ordered a pair of Spinfit CP100 and CP145, because there the tip of the tip adapts to the ear canal.

That I hear on the right side probably just a little worse / different, I have to just accept and not constantly bother me or pay attention to it.

If you haven’t tried Comply foam tips yet, they’re worth a go. My ear canals are asymmetric and the comply foam’s ability to take on the canal’s shape worked well. After a good deal of experimentation, a medium small tip on the left and a medium on the right was the best combo.

YMMV of course

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 19

Maybe custom IEMs are the way to go in that case. Or even custom eartips. They are a bit pricey, but a friend of mine uses them and he can bring the same tip to be used on a few other IEMs that have around the same nozzle diameter.

I have one ear that is also slightly bigger than the other, and for some IEMs, I have to use different size eartips for the left and right ears respectively, to get a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back