Left, right and ground in an Ipod contact?
Jan 23, 2007 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I’m thinking about making my own Ipod connector > 3,5mm interconnect, but I’m not quite sure on which of all the pins in the contact that I should solder left, right and ground on?

Could anyone show me a picture or a guide that will solve my problem?
Thanks in advance…
/Chopha

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 16
Jan 23, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 16
Standard solder will work, but silver bearing solder should work a little better, at least in theory. In practice, I've noticed it's harder to work with so effictively, you have a lower chance of getting a perfect solder joint unless you're good at it which I would never claim to be just yet.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 16
Ok, then standard solder it is...
/Chopha

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 16
Advise since you are in sweden I presume you are buying the JAE connector from ridax.
Use the "A" or "E" model's the others have really delicate pins, and need to be glued together.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueworm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Advise since you are in sweden I presume you are buying the JAE connector from ridax.
Use the "A" or "E" model's the others have really delicate pins, and need to be glued together.

really?

i made 3 ipod dock connectors (1 out of copper, 2 out of 22awg silver) and they came out fine
redface.gif

i used the 'slim' connector.

thinking about building a cotton and silk one next
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #9 of 16
No actually I intended to buy Ipod connector, 1m silver wire and a 3,5mm plug from www.qables.com.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 16
Handy hint for soldering ipod connectors:

Slide a sheet of paper between the pins so that only the pin you want to solder to is on one side of the paper. Now, as long as you're not completely cack handed and burn the paper, you can't fail to have a decent result
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanddancer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Handy hint for soldering ipod connectors:

Slide a sheet of paper between the pins so that only the pin you want to solder to is on one side of the paper. Now, as long as you're not completely cack handed and burn the paper, you can't fail to have a decent result
smily_headphones1.gif

Hint.. I soldered both ground pins 1 & 2 together for the ground wire for added strength, they are internally connected anyway

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hint.. I soldered both ground pins 1 & 2 together for the ground wire for added strength, they are internally connected anyway

Hint: Use a pair of pliers or something to pull out all of the pins except those you're going to use and then splay out the pins that are left giving a ton of extra room
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanddancer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hint: Use a pair of pliers or something to pull out all of the pins except those you're going to use and then splay out the pins that are left giving a ton of extra room
wink.gif

Hint.. If you happen to break one of the fragile pins you need, you can replace a broken pin with one that you have pulled out, they will slide back in but mind which way up the pin needs to be.

Jan 25, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 16
Thank you for all the hints.
I promise to post pics on how it all ended up in the "post pics on your builds..." sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum.

/Chopha

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 16
Ok guys, I encountered this awhile back when I popped open an ipod firewire sync cable to add an audio out.

Check this out:

http://www.ipodlinux.org/Dock_Connector

and then look at this:

http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

You'd think the non-russian site would have the correct pinout right? Upon opening up the firewire plug though, the connections on it actually followed the russian site's pins.

So either the firewire sync cable I got was wired wrong (possible, since it is a non-apple cable, and I never tried to use it for firewiring syncing), or you guys are wiring the left & right channels backwards.

I mean, nothing explosive here besides swapped audio channels, but at least we'd know for sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back