Led Zeppelin
Mar 3, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 50

Quote:

.....   Have you heard Shaizada's Wax of Houses Of The Holy?
LFF

I haven't heard Shaizada's vinyl but I do have many versions of the albums, including custom remasters I have done. Houses of the Holy is ok. It's the first four albums that are in dire need of a remix.

FWIW, here is a snip of one of my versions of "The Crunge" from Houses Of The Holy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/opst3c

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #17 of 50
He will play it for you if you ask!

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #18 of 50

Quote:
He will play it for you if you ask!

I'm sure he will! Shaizada is one of the nicest guys I know around So. Cal. He is an asset to this community.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #19 of 50
Zep was the first band that opened my ears......taking me beyond the top 40 radio mix I was enjoying at the time, in my teens. They are an occasional listen now, because I have heard them so much over the years, but it is still a treat when I do listen to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #20 of 50
They were a foul and evil band perpetuating sex & drugs that attracted that kind. Same with Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath and about every other band from the era. Heathen lifestyles with perverted views of reality.

Man that was good times.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #21 of 50
Their sound was unique and they had a massive influence on my music tastes.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #22 of 50
Hi, here's a little treat for you.  If you've read this far, obviously you like LZ.  Here is a link with an embedded coupon code to Rhino's website.

http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/led-zeppelin-definitive-collection-mini-lp-replica-boxset?xpcid=CROZ&cmpid=CROZEP%3E%20&cmpid=CROZEP

They released a Japan-pressed mini-lp box set a few years ago.  They sell the box set on their site for $174.  Amazon sells it for $171.  That link gets you 50% off, so $87, with free shipping!

$87 for this box set is a steal, if you are looking to get a good Zeppelin collection.  It is extremely well done!

Note to holders of the gray 'Complete Studio Recordings' box set from the mid 90's:  These are exactly the same masters as that set, just extremely well packaged compared to the 90's set.  The mini-lp's are awesome, as opposed to the booklets each disc was in with the old set.  

The big difference between the two "complete" box sets besides the packaging is the inclusion of The Song Remains The Same, which was not included in the older box set.  This version of TSRTS is the same master as was released by Page/Atlantic via Rhino in 2007.  If you've not had the opportunity to listen to the remastered TSRTS, it is a must hear.  I have the original 9-song cd version from the '80s, the new one is 15 songs.  The difference in sound quality is night and day, the original was horrible and this one is fantastic.  The main criticism of this version is certain edits that they did in some of the titles, there are some reviewers on Amazon that slammed them over this.  I don't know the reason why they did it, perhaps the tapes were damaged, whatever.  All I can tell you is that it's fantastic.

I wouldn't be recommending this so highly for full price - it's the same masters that are available elsewhere.  The only reason I am advising people to get it is because it is such a good value with the 50% off coupon.  At this price, I have no problems recommending it for anyone.  No idea how long the coupon is valid for, though.

Word to the wise - the plastic bags that each cd are in are terrible.  Guaranteed you'll tear them just trying to open them.  If preserving these mini-lp's is something you'd take seriously, you'd be in good shape if you bought replacement plastic bags, which are easy enough to find...

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #23 of 50
I got this one when it was released, on cassette!

...and I have a soft spot for Coda as I bought it the day it was released.....

I saw Robert Plant's first solo tour and Page and Plant twice, where the best reaction was of course to the Led Zep tracks they played. I have seen Boleskin House from a boat on Loch Ness...

That is the end of my Led Zeppelin boasts!

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #24 of 50
I'm pleased they didn't reform after the 02 gig in London. More bands should hang their boots up and leave the past behind them.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #25 of 50
The big difference between the two "complete" box sets besides the packaging is the inclusion of The Song Remains The Same, which was not included in the older box set.  This version of TSRTS is the same master as was released by Page/Atlantic via Rhino in 2007.  If you've not had the opportunity to listen to the remastered TSRTS, it is a must hear.  I have the original 9-song cd version from the '80s, the new one is 15 songs.  The difference in sound quality is night and day, the original was horrible and this one is fantastic.  The main criticism of this version is certain edits that they did in some of the titles, there are some reviewers on Amazon that slammed them over this.  I don't know the reason why they did it, perhaps the tapes were damaged, whatever.  All I can tell you is that it's fantastic.

I agree nspindel that the remaster of SRS is a must. I just could not believe the sound change as well as the added songs.

My first exposure to hard rock was a six track cassette my Mom purchased for me when I was 10 years old in 1972. This six track cassette had LZ 1 on one side and Black Sabbath 1 on the other. Now the 1st album is still a favorite! I am never tired of them.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #26 of 50
A really cool DVD is It Might Get Loud. This DVD shows Jimmy Page today!

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #28 of 50
I would be fine with them calling it quits after O2 if they just released that show onto DVD/BluRay, with an exquisite soundtrack.  Knowing that they did a full-length concert reunion that 18,000 lucky fans got to see, and the rest of us are left to bootlegs.  It's a known fact that there were full blown video crews capturing the whole thing, I don't understand why it's not being released.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #29 of 50
You are right, a Song Remains The Same II

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #30 of 50

Quote:
I would be fine with them calling it quits after O2 if they just released that show onto DVD/BluRay, with an exquisite soundtrack.  Knowing that they did a full-length concert reunion that 18,000 lucky fans got to see, and the rest of us are left to bootlegs.  It's a known fact that there were full blown video crews capturing the whole thing,
I don't understand why it's not being released.

You might be interested in this
smile.gif

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/joomla/current-news/1407-official-led-zeppelin-o2-concert-gearing-up-for-release

An official DVD/Blu-Ray release of Led Zeppelin's performance at the O2 Arena in London, England on December 10, 2007 may actually happen here soon.

Backstage at the Beacon Theatre in New York City on January 30, 2011, Robert Plant had mentioned that he had spoken with Jimmy Page on Friday and that a commercial release of the concert is being finalized.
------------------------------------------------------------

No idea if that information is accurate or not, but at least you can hope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back