Led Zeppelin
Feb 23, 2011 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=14pt] Well, I would call myself a regular Zeppelin fan. I grew up in the 70s and was just part of the population who loved them. I feel the hard part for people to realize today is the vast listener base they had in 1976. Many rock journalists say that they are a voice of a generation! They  really were played at every party and the radio 24/7. Times were much more simple and people had only a couple of musical tastes if you were 13 to 20 years old.

I was lucky to have known people with huge Zeppelin collections. One friend was the printer of Proximity, a Zeppelin news letter which was mailed out in the late 1970s. I was able to hold a promo 45 rpm of Stairway To Heaven! Funny to me now that Stairway To Heaven was first played as a white label promo. I held the Obelisk in my hands from the Presence album. I was able to walk into rooms of bootleg live recordings. As with most bands there are folks out their who collect everything. Zeppelin fans were intensive!

There seems to be a never ending feeling to their music. Robert Plant once said that their music had a message to enjoy life! A generation did enjoy life to their gift of music. One special thing I have noticed is all the Band members seem to be virtuosos. There may be times when you think Jimmy and Robert are always at the front but then John Paul Jones comes in with a solo! Bonzo was never not heard.

We are really lucky to have the recorded musical legacy they have left us. We have the live recording of The Song Remains The Same as well as a lot of live films. If you compare Zeppelin even to the Beatles, Zeppelin have more quality live recordings. The public always seem to have a love affair with Zeppelin. I can't tell you how many 20 year olds I still see with the Zeppelin T-shirts! This may be a result of just how timeless they are with a combination of the recorded material.

The popularity seems to come in waves. 1999 was a time when they seemed a little out of sync with listeners. They then comeback with a vengeance. How many box sets do you know from 1993 still sell for over $100.00?

[/size]

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 50
Today I noticed something I never had before.  The second organ on the original album recording of You Shook Me.  If you haven't heard it before, listen closely...

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 50
Zep was my favorite band in HS. I discovered them when I was in 8th  grade(1980)...just around the time Bonham passed.I had a new Basset puppy and named him Bonham.  Fool In The Rain is what got my attention from the radio. From there I bought all of the albums. Later after 1985 when I bought my first CDP I always hoped they would be released on CD and eventually bought them all again.

In my music room I framed 5 of my albums.

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 50
Never got into them....never had an album in my collection. The reason was they were so overplayed on the radio, for me. I am 52 and was into underground progressive rock so maybe it was snooty of me to not purchase any albums. Just my 2 cents

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 50
Great band, have all of their albums. I lived in Chicago then and Chicago have some of the really good music FM stations, AM too. There were other bands back then that I listened to a lot like Pink Floyd, ELP, CSN&Y, Genesis, Chicago, UFO, Santana, Yes, Kansas, Journey, King Crimson, Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep, Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, Rush, Aerosmith, Eric Clapton, Boston, Cheap Trick, Deep Purple, Robin Trower, Peter Frampton, Eagles, Frank Zappa, Grand Funk Railroad, Jeff Beck, Jethro Tull, Judas Priest, Queen, Rick Derringer, Steely Dan, Supertramp, Tangerine Dream, Ted Nugent, Kiss, Grateful Dead, The Who just to name some. But there were many others.

Then there were also the Motown and R&B bands.

My favorite T-shirt was the one with the 'Yes' on the front after the band Yes. My buddy had one and he wore it to shred. And I think it is still a cool T-shirt logo.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 50
Sorry for the large font. Most Zep fans from the day are in need of glasses....HAHA. I loved the photo of the listening area with the Zepplin albums on the back wall.
The thread here may start to represent a life style if it grows! i just think it would be a cool place for other Head-fi folks to post different parts of songs they like. Even if some think Zepplin is played out, play your copy of The Song Remains The Same again!

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 50
sorry to be a PITA, but shouldn't the thread be titled Led Zeppelin?

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 50

Quote:
sorry to be a PITA, but shouldn't the thread be titled Led Zeppelin?

And I still maintain the text in the OP should be normal sized.  It's freakin' annoying.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 50
Led Zeppelin is fun to listen to and certainly influenced future bands. Besides that I prefer other bands from the era...

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 50
Arguably one of the most important bands of all time.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 50
I love Led Zeppelin but I wish someone like Steve Hoffman could re-do all of the albums from the original work parts and do a complete remix. Those albums, especially the first 4, need a remix badly!

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 50

Quote:
I love Led Zeppelin but I wish someone like Steve Hoffman could re-do all of the albums from the original work parts and do a complete remix. Those albums, especially the first 4, need a remix badly!

Amen to that.  They're even worse than the pre-year 2000 U2 CD releases.  IV is tolerable but I, II, and III are pretty awful, even in FLAC.

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 50

.....   Have you heard Shaizada's Wax of Houses Of The Holy?
LFF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back