Led Zeppelin Appreciation
Sep 1, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you all have the DVD...if not , shame on you!
darthsmile.gif

Led Zeppelin - Discography - DVD

Of course
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Initially, I didn't like Robert Plant's voice, can you believe that! I liked "Good Times, Bad Times" immediately. I liked "Whole Lotta Love" immediately. Except for "Immigrant Song" my young ears were not mature enough to appreciate Led Zeppelin III. One of my favorites now! Then Led Zeppelin IV was released and it changed my life of music appreciation. I saw Led Zeppelin in 1975 right before "Physical Graffiti" was released. I can't believe what I went through to get tickets to that concert, or to get "Physical Graffiti" as soon as it was available. After the length of time between "Led Zeppelin IV" and "Physical Graffiti," "Presence" was kind of a pleasant, relatively quick surprise. Zeppelin toured again after that release and I saw them again in 1977. It was a good concert, but not nearly as good as 1975. The rumor was that Jimmy Page was having addiction problems and he seemed a bit sloppy. Though it had its moments, I remember that my friends and I thought that "In Through The Out Door" was somewhat disappointing considering what had come before. Robert Plant's son was killed somewhere around that time and of course Bonzo died shortly thereafter. I saw them again at Live-Aid in 1985 playing with Phil Collins, but that performance was just kind of sad. I have seen Robert Plant solo twice since the Led Zeppelin days, and his performances were first rate. There's a lot of revisionism out there these days concerning Led Zeppelin being overrated. They were certainly the very best of their time (IMHO only Pink Floyd with Roger Waters equalled them in terms of live performance...) and certainly among the very best of all time.

Great post! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your account of following led zep! Wish I was older sometimes to of had that music scene!

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never got tired of hearing Ten Years Gone.

x2 - it's my favourite Led Zep song discounting Dazed And Confused.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great post! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your account of following led zep! Wish I was older sometimes to of had that music scene!

Hey thanks...I have always thought that the musical journey of those my age would be hard to equal. I haven't stayed in that era though. I'm always looking for something new. There is a lot of great new stuff out there!

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #20 of 28
In 1969 I was a sophomore in HS, we ditched school one morning, hanging at the local 'record' store. Flipping through the new stuff, I saw the Hindenburg and had to pick up this new record from J. Page & a bunch of unknowns. Stupid name. After lunch, we took it back to school, popped it onto the school turntable in the band room, and were forever markedly changed as Jimmy Page's re-imagining of the Yardbirds exploded over the bandroom P.A. 1969 will forever be known to me as the year we landed on the moon & Led Zeppelin I was released...

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #21 of 28
Just saw my record store's email with the new releases, and they listed a 4xLP box set called Mothership. Very interested.

Went to Amazon, read these words:

Quote:

For years, as playlists and multidisc players put Led Zeppelin tracks into a mix, there was a perpetual need to adjust the volume when Zep came on. Their tunes languished in the haze of substandard remastering--until now

So... it's loud. Quick check at SH Forums lead me straight to the truth. Zep have botched this remaster like so many others are doing, and I have no appreciation for that. They didn't even use the analog masters to put this together.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also the "BBC Sessions- Led Zeppelin" is out of this world (along with other bands recorded live at the beeb)

"Traveling Riverside Blues" is amazing.

Thanks for the reminder.
smile_phones.gif
Hey fredman .... is kvhs still operating ??

We went down to New Orleans in 2003. It was Thanksgiving. I met this young guy at a record store, which incidentely carried early English Pop , including early solo Robert Plant & Band of Joy- both of which I had not seen in person. It was a very cool, little shop.

Keep in mind I hadn't been down since '91 and I had no idea of what, if anything, was going on down there. Seemed quiet. I had also found this book about Zep, then had been given a book about Bonzo earlier that year.

So he tells me that Jimmy hangs out down there, walks around, looks like an old hippy, nobody recognizes him. It was odd because I never heard any such story ever again. The guy was very sincere. He then allowed that JP has a friend down there that keeps all his "tapes" for him, supposedly. )

So basically I took that as ..... all of the masters are in New Orleans.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #23 of 28
Picked up Mothership recently - for whatever reason, Houses of the Holy was the only Zep in my collection.

Man the remastering jars! Too forward, too bright. JP remastered, but methinks he's got cloth ears after too many years of loud music.
bigsmile_face.gif

Remastering rather than LZ related - saw a quote about remasters of an Aussie band, Midnight Oil, where the guitarist was quoted as sayign that they left stuff out sonically from the original vinyl releases that they'll be beefing up. I just hope these guys don't just go for "loud" - mind you, at least one of their albums has always seemed too laid back (ie. very low levels) to me

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #24 of 28
I always thought how it was so unfair to other bands how Led Zeppelin's individual members were SOOO GOOD and MAESTROS in their respective roles. Jimmy Page is THE guitar god, author of what was voted as the greatest solo of all time (Stairway, natch), Bonzo is A MANIAC AND LEGEND in his drumkit (Moby Dick anyone?), JOhn Paul Jones is easily one of the most influential bassists of all time, and Robert Plant, well, who really can compare to his showmanship and set of pipes?

That said, their musical output STILL MANAGED to exceed the sum of tehir parts. Led Zep is the very definition of 70s classic rock for me (sorry Sabbath, youre a close 2nd for me)

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #26 of 28
Its very hard to say what their best album is, I like them all. Every album has good songs, I honestly believe Led Zeppelin is the only band where I could listen to every song and not skip one. Each person is very good at their instrument, their creativity and techinicality in their songs shows how good their musicianship is.
Also, I read somewhere that they might get back in the studio, its just up to Robert Plant, has anyone else heard this?

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #27 of 28
My favorite album is the first Led Zeppelin (maybe because it was my first album I ever bought) and my favorite song is Your Time is Gonna Come :]
I am a Led Zeppelin fan when it comes to music, is there any book / dvd / whatever about them that is a MUST ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back