Led Zeppelin Appreciation
Aug 31, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 28
I became a Zep fan when I was a teen at the time In Through The Out Door was released. I soon collected every album and added them to my album-cover-wallpaper. My vinyl collection sadly went missing after a move but have been replaced with CD.

Aug 31, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 28
For me, I always appreciated that they were very proficient and technically excellent, but their music couldn't penetrate to resonate with me for ages for some reason. I didn't really enjoy listening to it, finding it cold and difficult to connect to. That was until about a few months ago when what they were doing suddenly clicked with me! They are an incredible band- so tight, so together yet still able to be intricate and creative and progressive and to paint a songs in many tints and hues, never mind colours! Every human component is excellent. However, as a unit, they manage to exceed the sum of their parts!

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 28
i do enjoy them quite a bit but would have to say that everything is disputable.
i agree and think its great that the sum is greater then the parts, so many stars in all areas of life fail when there together.

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 28
I first came across Led Zeppelin in 1988 when I became interested in rock. First came Led Zep IV (which didn't really like then and only started to enjoy much later), then when I went to the States for college, I read Hammer of the Gods (!!) and acquired all of their studio releases.

The Led Zep album that made the most impact on me was their debut album. I still prefer it over the others - the songs may not be as polished and original as their subsequent work, but there is a rawness and heaviness to the playing that I like. And of course it contains Dazed and Confused, my favourite Led Zep track.

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 28
I've been listening to Led Zeppelin since I was a little boy in my dad's stereo room. I've always such a great appreciation for how well each member seemed to fit with the next. That made for such an amazing array of songs and albums. Each one I love in its own way.

Aug 31, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 28
They are my favorite band. Although they're before my time I really do love them. (I was born in Nov-1992)
They're are then No 1 band in my Last.fm profile aswell.

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 28
I grew up and came of age (what ever the heck that means) with Led Zeppelin. One of the three classic rock bands that have a prominent place in my music collection. Pink Floyd and Rush are the other two. I find Zep's music not only speaks to me (music from my generation) but that it transcends generations. Even my 23 yr old daughter knows and enjoys Led Zeppelin. Too many great songs to pick a favorite.

Yes, their music really is that good.

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 28
I had the second cd from the West Was Won audio set playing when I saw this thread the other day. It has the best Dazed and Confused, Jimmy plays the Mussorgsky during his solo.

I found this cd a few years ago, I think you guys would really like it. Just ignore the salacious cover. You can flip it over and there's a cool train-conductor photo. It's called The Early Blues Roots of Led Zeppelin. I'm going to have to break down finally and get some of these artists on there.

Also just found this cool interview w/ Bob Plant.
smily_headphones1.gif
check it out.

Robert Plant Finds Blues Roots in the Sahara : NPR

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 28
That "The Early Blues Roots Of Led Zeppelin" album is superb.

Also the "BBC Sessions- Led Zeppelin" is out of this world (along with other bands recorded live at the beeb)

"Traveling Riverside Blues" is amazing.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 28
Initially, I didn't like Robert Plant's voice, can you believe that! I liked "Good Times, Bad Times" immediately. I liked "Whole Lotta Love" immediately. Except for "Immigrant Song" my young ears were not mature enough to appreciate Led Zeppelin III. One of my favorites now! Then Led Zeppelin IV was released and it changed my life of music appreciation. I saw Led Zeppelin in 1975 right before "Physical Graffiti" was released. I can't believe what I went through to get tickets to that concert, or to get "Physical Graffiti" as soon as it was available. (I'll never forgot that opening riff of "In My Time Of Dying" before the song was even released. I was in heaven...) After the length of time between "Led Zeppelin IV" and "Physical Graffiti," "Presence" was kind of a pleasant, relatively quick surprise. Zeppelin toured again after that release and I saw them again in 1977. It was a good concert, but not nearly as good as 1975. The rumor was that Jimmy Page was having addiction problems and he seemed a bit sloppy. Though it had its moments, I remember that my friends and I thought that "In Through The Out Door" was somewhat disappointing considering what had come before. Robert Plant's son was killed somewhere around that time and of course Bonzo died shortly thereafter. I saw them again at Live-Aid in 1985 playing with Phil Collins, but that performance was just kind of sad. I have seen Robert Plant solo twice since the Led Zeppelin days, and his performances were first rate. There's a lot of revisionism out there these days concerning Led Zeppelin being overrated. They were certainly the very best of their time (IMHO only Pink Floyd with Roger Waters equalled them in terms of live performance...) and certainly among the very best of all time.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 28
Lived and breathed Led Zeppelin from about 1974 to around 1995, so about 20 years.
Made a big poster sized collage once from pictures I cut out from all of the Led Zeppelin magazines I had, It was actually pretty cool. Lost it years ago though.
The last 2 surviving 70's bands that got regular rotation were Zep and Floyd. Pink Floyd is the last one to survive getting bumped off of my 80GB Zune in favor of all the new Chillout/Electronic I am into now.
How the West Was Won was the last to get deleted, about a month ago (everything is still on my computer of course) and I listened to Hey Hey What Can I Do and Travelling Riverside Blues just the other day.
Led Zeppelin has dominated my music collection for most of my life though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back