LeBron to announce decision in one-hour ESPN special
Jul 9, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #31 of 57
K_19:
Now I want to see Shaq join the Heat at league minimum just to spite Kobe and prevent him from winning 6

Ha! I hadn't thought about that; too perfect.

Put me in the Heat are going to be awesome camp, no matter what joes they fill in with. They'll have serviceable four with Beasley gone. Chambers is going to evolve into even more a jump shooter, since D's will want to sag off James and Wade. Speaking of those two. The possibilities are intoxicating. How about pick n roll with the two best players in the league (yeah I said that. DW is the man, KB has lost a little step), or put them on opposites wing to spread the floor. Let's not mention the up temp game that will result from Wade's thievery and James great outlet passes.

It's going to be interesting to see how well they mesh. If so, it could be scary for everyone else.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #32 of 57
Man! What he did to CLE was just dirty. Im glad Gilbert said what he said especially the narcissist comments because it shows how big this dudes ego is. Who in their right mind would refer to themselves in the third person? The only person I can remember is The Rock, and he was doing it for show.

Now, they look really good on paper, but they don't have any shooters. Wade and LBJ don't have consistent jumpers making them both primarily great slashers and scorers. They also lack an inside presence because Bosh isn't a banger. I don't know what to make of it. Rumor is they just added Mike Miller by trading away Beasley to TWolves. The possibilities are there, but they need to add some shooters, lock down defenders, and size up front. We'll just have to wait and see.

The funny thing is LBJ shouldn't win any more MVPs because his team is so stacked. He ruined his possible legacy, stats, and lost a lot of respect from everybody.

Kevin Durant 2011 MVP. Lakers 2011 NBA Champs, there too big upfront for anybody in the NBA.

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #34 of 57
The Gilbert letter is pretty intense. Whatever happened to "We're disappointed but it's been a great run and we wish him the best" ?

I agree that the Heat need a shooter or two. But I'm also almost 100% sure that come the start of the season, they will have shooters in place. Hard to resist playing with these three.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #35 of 57
LeBron James is taking less money than he could have made anywhere else to play with the two players he wanted to play with the most. The money from "The Decision" is going to charity. He played his heart out for Cleveland for 7 years even when it was obvious that the owner and front office had no clue how to build a team around him.

I fully support LeBron's decision. I think Miami or Chicago would have both been good choices for him (I think in the long term Miami is actually better, people keep ignoring Noah's contract situation and the money he could demand). I think James did a very poor job in announcing it but it generated a lot of money for a great cause, I can live with that.

This isn't Oklahoma and Kevin Durant. Durant is looking at the perfect situation. He is very young, he's surrounded with other great young talent and the OKC GM, Sam Presti, is one of the best in the league. It's obvious why Durant wants to stay. It's also even more obvious why LeBron wanted to leave Cleveland, he had the exact opposite situation.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #36 of 57

Quote:
LeBron James is taking less money than he could have made anywhere else to play with the two players he wanted to play with the most. The money from "The Decision" is going to charity. He played his heart out for Cleveland for 7 years even when it was obvious that the owner and front office had no clue how to build a team around him.

I fully support LeBron's decision. I think Miami or Chicago would have both been good choices for him (I think in the long term Miami is actually better, people keep ignoring Noah's contract situation and the money he could demand). I think James did a very poor job in announcing it but it generated a lot of money for a great cause, I can live with that.

This isn't Oklahoma and Kevin Durant. Durant is looking at the perfect situation. He is very young, he's surrounded with other great young talent and the OKC GM, Sam Presti, is one of the best in the league. It's obvious why Durant wants to stay. It's also even more obvious why LeBron wanted to leave Cleveland, he had the exact opposite situation.

LBJ is not taking that much less considering Miami doesn't have income tax. I thought Cleveland FO did a pretty good job surrounding him with talent. C'mon, you can't have 2 straight 60+ win seasons without good teammates. The FO built a good team with James as the focal point. They were really good until the playoffs.

Boston and Orlando exposed James for what he really is, one-dimensional. All they had to do was take away his drive, and he's done because he can't shoot. James should have developed a consistent jumpshot within those 7 years, but he didn't. His offensive repertoire is limited, no post-game, streaky shooter, and lack of footwork. This is where kobe, durant, pierce, melo, dwill, and paul shine because they all can shoot when they can't get to the rim. The thing is LBJ doesn't improve his game every year. He doesn't add new layers or moves to his game. He adds dance moves and pregame routines.

I thought LBJ quit on his team during the boston series. The problem with him is that when things are good he's happy, but when things are bad he quits. He crippled the Cavs organization.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #37 of 57
Skrying:

I really like the above points. I'll be a contrarian however and mention that Florida doesn't have a state personal income tax, so how much money is he really going to lose? The same goes for Bosh. Now Wade would take a hit no matter how you slice.it.

Another thing that is intriguing, is how this will affect LBJ's global brand. Say DW has a higher ppg next season or more big shots. The same with Bosh, though less likely. Obviously the bet is that a rising tide lifts all boats.

I have no problem with his choice. It's a free country. The man can work where he wants.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #38 of 57
I agree with all Skrying's points and don't have a problem with the choice from an ethical or business perpsective. I just don't like LeBron James and am sad that he is getting on an super stacked team because it means he is likely to win more than I want him to. And I am sad that I will now be rooting against Dwayne Wade, who I really like. :frowning2:.

But, for a more thoughtful and interesting take on why this might have been a poor PR and economic decision on LeBron's part, I turn (as I often do in life) to Nate Silver.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

I don't think you can really blame Cleveland's front office for this though. I think they did everything in their power to put pieces around him. I think the problem is (no offense to any Clevelanders here) multi-millionaire 20 somethings do not want to live in Cleveland. Chris Bosh proved it by reportedly turning down James when he asked Bosh to join him in Ohio before they both signed with the Heat.  LeBron was cool with living there because it was where he was raised.   

Durant signed his extension, but he's only 21 and is just beginning his career. Let's revisit that comparison if he doesn't win any rings after 5 more years like LeBron. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #40 of 57
I think the most ridiculous aspect of this is how much flak Lebron is getting from media types for "The Decision". These are the same sportswriters who built up this whole free agency period, and couldn't resist writing article after article about it. Now they're trying to destroy Lebron for concluding this free agent frenzy (that they had a large part in creating) with an hour long special that is benefiting Boys and Girls Clubs?

Dan Gilbert comes off as real scum in that letter. He sounds like an immature jilted ex-lover on a smear campaign.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #41 of 57

Quote:
I don't think you can really blame Cleveland's front office for this though. I think they did everything in their power to put pieces around him. I think the problem is (no offense to any Clevelanders here) multi-millionaire 20 somethings do not want to live in Cleveland. Chris Bosh proved it by reportedly turning down James when he asked Bosh to join him in Ohio before they both signed with the Heat.  LeBron was cool with living there because it was where he was raised.   

Durant signed his extension, but he's only 21 and is just beginning his career. Let's revisit that comparison if he doesn't win any rings after 5 more years like LeBron. 

I think the difference is that Presti has been able to surround Durant with a really solid nucleus of young talent, something that Cleveland was never able to do.

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #42 of 57
WOW, what happened to the site?  Have not been here in a few months.  Information is everywhere...

I decided to check the Member's Forum because I remember some hoop fans over here.  With "The King" (lol) coming to the Heat, I wanted to see the feedback.  Hmmm, mixed feelings.

My .02 (of course, I'm biased and happy he landed here)---

LBJ coming to the Heat was the best choice for him. 

He was going to get hammered no matter where he went, unless he stayed in Cleveland.

This is Shaq all over again when he left Orlando for the Lakers 14 years ago.  The Magic bent over backwards for him back then to try and keep him.  He took them to the Finals in a few years, but were swept by the Rockets.  LBJ, same situation but against the Spurs.  When it's time to move on, it's time to move on. 

I guess Pat Riley got tired of Phil Jackson winning all the time and decided to do something about it...lol....If anyone can pull it off it's Mr. Riley.

The Bulls would have been a nice option if D. Wade followed.  But that was not going to happen.  The Clippers would need about 5 years to rebuild and will always be overshadowed by the Lakers.  The King can't have that...lol...The Knicks- too much drama and an uncertain next few years.  The Nets- Insert your fav here.  Stay in Cleveland- Just look at LBJ right after Boston knocked them out- You can just tell in his mannerisms that he was done, although he choked big time when they needed him to step up.

In Cleveland he did what he wanted, whenever he wanted.  Those days with his little fits he threw when the going was tough and he did nothing about it, are done.  He will become a better, disciplined team player with Riley.  Pat might even turn him into a shooter...lol

And I just wanted to touch on the Lakers being mentioned everywhere and a possible match-up in the Finals.  I don't know if people actually watched the Lakers' playoff run this year.  Kevin and company in OK City woke them up.  The Suns should have had them.  Their championship was decided in the last three minutes of a Game 7.  KB, your 6th ring is looking very tough.

On the 12 noon news today they were throwing out some names for the recently acquired-  Legion Of Doom, The Three Kings..LOL...Gotta love it....

OK City and Heat in the Finals 2011-  Heat in 5.....lol

Can these three play well together?.....Absolutely....Pat just locked up LBJs ego in the locker room and will never let it out.  It's in a safe...

Did I mention that Beas is gone and Mr. Miller is on the horizon.....

I remember going to the inaugural season when Rony Seikaly and Pearl Washington were the stars...We have come a long way.....

Good times ahead...

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #43 of 57
I always thought he would choose Chicago, especially because of his respect for Jordan and his buddy, Bosh. Also, the Bulls have a pretty solid core team to work with. So this decision was quite a surprise and it's looking very bad for every team except the Heat :frowning2:

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #44 of 57

Quote:

LBJ is not taking that much less considering Miami doesn't have income tax. I thought Cleveland FO did a pretty good job surrounding him with talent. C'mon, you can't have 2 straight 60+ win seasons without good teammates. The FO built a good team with James as the focal point. They were really good until the playoffs.

Boston and Orlando exposed James for what he really is, one-dimensional. All they had to do was take away his drive, and he's done because he can't shoot. James should have developed a consistent jumpshot within those 7 years, but he didn't. His offensive repertoire is limited, no post-game, streaky shooter, and lack of footwork. This is where kobe, durant, pierce, melo, dwill, and paul shine because they all can shoot when they can't get to the rim. The thing is LBJ doesn't improve his game every year. He doesn't add new layers or moves to his game. He adds dance moves and pregame routines.

I thought LBJ quit on his team during the boston series. The problem with him is that when things are good he's happy, but when things are bad he quits. He crippled the Cavs organization.

You're right about Florida not having the income tax, however with Beasley gone Miami could now offer James, Wade and Bosh all max contracts. They were just barely away from it previously. I think they all 3 still take a bit less money to help create a better supporting cast.

Yes, you can 100% blame the Cleveland office for the team. Winning 60+ games a year doesn't mean anything. Ironically as the Cleveland regular season record improved their post season success decreased. People seem to forget that LeBron has been in the Finals, they simply got swept by a very good San Antonio team. For the majority of James playing career the best teammate he had was Mo Williams. Mo Williams isn't even a top 15 point guard in the league. After that? Delonte West? (Could be released!) Anderson Varejao? (A bad GM's Noah) Come on, the Cleveland teams, if anything, prove just how good LeBron is. You absolutely do not build a dynasty around a young talent the way Cleveland did. They did wrong from day one. Tons of effort doesn't mean anything at all if you're putting it all towards the wrong direction.

James quit in the Boston series? What do you call Kobe's performance in game 7 of the FInals? 6 for 24. Is that quitting? Oh wait... Let's also ignore that a certain someone named Pau Gasol plays for the Lakers who is the reason the Laker's won that final game.

LeBron James final game against Boston: 27 points (8/21) 10 assists 19 rebounds 9 turnovers
Kobe Bryant final game against Boston: 23 points (6/24) 2 assists 15 rebounds 4 turnovers

One is called quitter, the other a Finals MVP. Remove the names and show those stats to someone and make them guess. They couldn't get it right.

Even MJ had bad games in the Finals and let's not even bring up Magic Johnson who got his first coach fired and had a hilariously bad second trip to the Finals. History is indeed written by the victor and I think in a few years people will have completely forgotten about this ill conceived backlash.

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #45 of 57

Quote:
You're right about Florida not having the income tax, however with Beasley gone Miami could now offer James, Wade and Bosh all max contracts. They were just barely away from it previously. I think they all 3 still take a bit less money to help create a better supporting cast.

Yes, you can 100% blame the Cleveland office for the team. Winning 60+ games a year doesn't mean anything. Ironically as the Cleveland regular season record improved their post season success decreased. People seem to forget that LeBron has been in the Finals, they simply got swept by a very good San Antonio team. For the majority of James playing career the best teammate he had was Mo Williams. Mo Williams isn't even a top 15 point guard in the league. After that? Delonte West? (Could be released!) Anderson Varejao? (A bad GM's Noah) Come on, the Cleveland teams, if anything, prove just how good LeBron is. You absolutely do not build a dynasty around a young talent the way Cleveland did. They did wrong from day one. Tons of effort doesn't mean anything at all if you're putting it all towards the wrong direction.

James quit in the Boston series? What do you call Kobe's performance in game 7 of the FInals? 6 for 24. Is that quitting? Oh wait... Let's also ignore that a certain someone named Pau Gasol plays for the Lakers who is the reason the Laker's won that final game.

LeBron James final game against Boston: 27 points (8/21) 10 assists 19 rebounds 9 turnovers
Kobe Bryant final game against Boston: 23 points (6/24) 2 assists 15 rebounds 4 turnovers

One is called quitter, the other a Finals MVP. Remove the names and show those stats to someone and make them guess. They couldn't get it right.

Even MJ had bad games in the Finals and let's not even bring up Magic Johnson who got his first coach fired and had a hilariously bad second trip to the Finals. History is indeed written by the victor and I think in a few years people will have completely forgotten about this ill conceived backlash.

You shouldn't compare stats. You should compare the performances. Game 7 Kobe had a horrible game but didn't quit. He was there the whole game playing hard, forcing the issue, and missing shots. LBJ against Boston looked lost at times, wasn't playing as hard as he should have been in that moment, and looked like he wasn't there. In pivotal game 5 especially, LBJ looked like he didn't want it. He was too passive and nonchalant. The effort just wasn't there.

Kobe's game 7 performance = horrible game
Lebron's game 5 performance = quitting
Kobe's game 7 vs phoenix in '06 = quitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back