LeBron to announce decision in one-hour ESPN special
Jul 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #16 of 57
I'd like to see him stay in Cleveland. I also don't think he'll goto the Heat because his ego will get in the way of his decision and he won't want to be the one that "followed" the other two. He planned on being the first and biggest name, then having the others follow him.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #20 of 57
They are now the most top heavy team in the league but it doesn't mean they are going to win championships for the next 10 years. They have 5 players under contract with little money leftover to work with. It's going to be a challenge for Riley to find a way to fill out the rest of those slots.

I do envision a lot of heat and lakers final games in the next couple years however.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #21 of 57
Now I want to see Shaq join the Heat at league minimum just to spite Kobe and prevent him from winning 6 and also for T-mac to join so he could actually win for once.  Not that it'll happen, but it'd be hilarious if this happened.  
tongue.gif
(Hey, both Payton and Malone tried to do that with Lakers a while back, why not now?)

Funny parody pics I've found:

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #22 of 57
Wow, let's see who can Riley get to fill up the roster spots.  They pretty much have to offer the league minimum to fill up the rest of the roster spots or maybe pick up a few guys off the NBDL.  Miami really needs a lot of good shooters now.  They have such a strong core now, so it'll be interesting how they develop together over the season. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 57

Quote:
They are now the most top heavy team in the league but it doesn't mean they are going to win championships for the next 10 years. They have 5 players under contract with little money leftover to work with. It's going to be a challenge for Riley to find a way to fill out the rest of those slots.

I do envision a lot of heat and lakers final games in the next couple years however.

Well, 5 years is what I was thinking :wink:.

I expect them to make a couple more moves to bring in some supporting talent, of which there's still plenty on the market. If you check out the NBA Free Agent Tracker, there's still a glut of other guys (mostly old dudes) who can still be occasional difference-makers (Shaq, T-Mac obviously, then other guys like Michael Finley, Tony Allen, Eddie House, Matt Barnes, Raymond Felton, Randy Foye, Shaun Livingston, Channing Frye, Larry Hughes, Allen Iverson... the list goes on). If Miami pulls in a couple of these guys, man they are going to be pretty much unstoppable.

Finding one guy who can defend LeBron James and Dwayne Wade is tough enough. Now teams need two of them, plus a good inside presence. Certainly nobody in the East is going to get it done. Kobe on Wade, Artest on LeBron, Pau on Bosh doesn't look terrible on paper, but those guys had enough trouble with my rickety Boston boys this year.

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #24 of 57
Only if they are able to play for the minimum. There's still lots of work to be done and I'm not yet sold they can beat the lakers with 5 players right now :) I'm sure some would be willing to play with those 3 but many would not be since after all money is a big factor along with winning.

I do see them as the potential to be the best in the east however and it would be a fail if are not since they clearly have 2 of the top players in the league and Bosh who is still very good but not quite top 5. I'm not sold they can't beat the lakers until I'm proven otherwise. I'll admit I'm biased towards the Lakers but then again there's also Bynum to look out for if he ever stays healthy an entire year. The Lakers and down right dominant if Bynum is healthy and the Heat have a chance to be the same.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #25 of 57
The concentration of talent on the two teams is silly. Best shooting guard, top 2 big man, top 10 big man (when healthy) on one team, best forward, 2nd best shooting guard, and top 5 big man on the other. Plus potentially two of the most successful coaches in history.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #26 of 57
I thought this was a bad decision for LeBron James. LeBron doesn't realize that people will hate you if you win and don't have to work for it. By so radically stacking the deck in his favor, he instantly makes himself and the Heat the new villains of the basketball world. It'll be like Alex Rodriguez and the Yankees.

He should have gone with the Bulls or the Clippers...teams he can win with but still have to work at it.

Also, three superstars doesn't guarantee success. Ask Phil Jackson about the importance of teamwork, and what happens when a bunch of egos get in the way.

The owner of the Cavaliers is PISSED: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/gilberts_letter_to_fans_james.html

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #28 of 57

Quote:
The concentration of talent on the two teams is silly. Best shooting guard, top 2 big man, top 10 big man (when healthy) on one team, best forward, 2nd best shooting guard, and top 5 big man on the other. Plus potentially two of the most successful coaches in history.

Worked out pretty good with a similar concentration in the 80's, at least as far as creating a memorable rivalry.  If the Lakers and Heat meet for several years consecutively in the finals, that could be interesting.  But at this point the Heat need to prove either that they can still a few decent guys, or that 3 kings and 9 bums is enough to win in the NBA.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #30 of 57
Somehow I bet there are going to be a whole lot of Laker fans in Cleveland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back