Leave heed canamp on?
May 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

audio_noob

New Head-Fier
The Heed Canamp manual says:
"As the CanAmp draws very little power, unless it is out of use for a long period, it is recommended to leave it switched on permanently."

Mine is burned in and it's working great, but now I wanna be sure I'm treating it properly since it's $400+ equipment. Am I really supposed to leave it on at all times? How long is a "long period"? This just seems counter-intuitive, one would think a device would last longer if used less. The wires inside of it will become gradually worse the more they're used. Does the process of turning it on and warming it up take more of a toll on the device than letting it stay on?

May 22, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 9
Excuse me for reading the one-page manual the first day I got the amp...how naiive of me to think the authors of manuals might know more about their own products than I do.

I have two equally simple options: either I flick the switch off when I'm not using it, or I leave it on all the time. I'm just asking which of those simple, effortless options is better for the lifespan of my $450 piece of merchandise. Maybe it makes no difference, that's a sufficient answer as well.

I'm at a forum where people obsess about every little thing being perfect, and pay hundreds of dollars on cables alone, yet you act like I'm a freak for asking how to take care of my equipment once I have it.

May 22, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 9
They're not acting like you're a freak, they're giving you their answers. Just use your amp as you see fit. If you're not using it, why not turn it off?

May 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Okay, that's what I've been doing, and I'll keep doing it since you and 2 others gave the go-ahead. Thanks

The potential "why not" was that the manual said not to. I asked the question because I trust this forum more than I trust strange advice from a manual. But this doesn't mean I'll never read a manual again, as the others suggested. In my experience, manuals are right much more often than they're wrong.

May 23, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 9
Turn it off, leave it on, it makes little difference, IMO.

May 23, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #9 of 9
Leaving it on keeps temperatures stable performing at it's peak. If you leave your home, turn it off. I'll turn my amp on Friday after work and it stays on over the weekend. Sunday morning listening is a real treat.
k701smile.gif
(insert tube smiley here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back